Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #31
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 389
Keep in mind your passengers comfort on long trips. I have read (and my pillion agrees as well) that S10 is much better than the "old" V-strom for comfort on a long trip. But that could be different with the 2014 model.

I remember my V-Strom was busier in the wind, I think this had to do with the front fork flex, but the new one may have this corrected as well with the USD forks. Watch out with the low pipes though.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #32
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Bluhduh

i have nothing useful to add, but like others will do so anyway.
the S10 has proven to be:
- popular with dual-sporters
- reliable
- unexciting
- needs flashing [but its easy... why not?]
- heavy
- buffety
- hot [to fjr folks, this ain't newsworthy]

the 2014 DaffVee has proven to be:
- speculative
- unseen
- untried
- unbuyable
- undeliverable
- interesting.

there you have it.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #33
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
Keep in mind your passengers comfort on long trips. I have read (and my pillion agrees as well) that S10 is much better than the "old" V-strom for comfort on a long trip. But that could be different with the 2014 model.
The big German Motorrad magazine had the V-Strom placed very high on a test for passenger comfort. This test was probably before the S10 was even launched, though. But I´d say both are good choices for two-up.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #34
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by WookinPaNub View Post
Speaking of.... Earlier in the thread the question was raised why I didn't compare the 2014 S10 instead, and my knee jerk response was "Why, did they change the paint color again?"

Is the 2014 S10 getting any significant updates? Like the reflash is already done, or some performance tweaks, or cool 'adventure style' cup holders??? Or is it just getting a new coat of paint again next year?
I heard somewhere someone say that they had heard somewhere that in 2014 the S10 would recieve a little revamp, meaning less weight and more bhp

Just saying, now you can say you heard someone saying that they heard someone saying that they heard someone saying this...
Old 09-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #35
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

Had both the Strom and the FJR at the same time I bought the Tenere. Sold the FJR after six
months of it sitting unused. Neighbor bought the Strom and loves it. I don't know what the new Strom
will be like. I can say the Tenere made the old one feel like "how did I ever ride that thing".

Tenere Reflash is a must in my opinion.
Agreed. Having owned (and liked) 2 Strom1K's, the Tenere is well worth the price difference.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #36
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
Yamaha is now known to have the best reliability in the industry. That alone was the #1 reason for me to buy that brand. Their adventure bike, the S10 with shaft drive, modern electronics in a best in class package sealed the deal for me.

The new 2014 VStrom looks great for an Adv bike, no doubt. Things that I personally don't care for... small fuel tank and the chain drive. I like they put some modern electronics with a no doubt powerful motor. A bit lighter than the S10... would have been an impressive competitor to the KTM with spoke wheels and a bigger tank.

I'm not a Suzuki guy, but I would consider this if the S10 didn't make it to the USA.

Also, possibly b/c I live at altitude or I take it easy on the throttle, but I'm averaging 47-49 MPG... some tanks I see 50-52.

RocketJohn screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 08:12 AM
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #37
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Laugh

It would be a great "check!" if Yammy came in late 2014 with a midsize tenere -50lbs under the V-strom 1000 but packing a little more punch, and all the multi-surface capability of the big brother....

btw... its hard to remember now, but there was a time when Yammy were not sure they would even OFFER the S10 in the USA.. I wonder now if they look back and go "man were we stoopid"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Yamaha is now known to have the best reliability in the industry. That alone was the #1 reason for me to buy that brand. Their adventure bike, the S10 with shaft drive, modern electronics in a best in class package sealed the deal for me.

The new 2014 VStrom looks great for an Adv bike, no doubt. Things that I personally don't care for... small fuel tank and the chain drive. I like they put some modern electronics with a no doubt powerful motor. A bit lighter than the S10... would have been an impressive competitor to the KTM with spoke wheels and a bigger tank.

I'm not a Suzuki guy, but I would consider this if the S10 didn't make it to the USA.

Also, possibly b/c I live at altitude or I take it easy on the throttle, but I'm averaging 47-49 MPG... some tanks I see 50-52.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #38
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Previous DL1000 reviews to my recollection never mentioned roasting rider in summer heat when stuck in traffic. Verses with Super Tenere, read about heat on left side when fan comes on. How sensitive are you to this issue?

Chain vs shaft? Chain is lighter and more efficient power transmission, but more service intensive. For me, changing sprockets and chain is easy maintenance that I do myself. I've been happy with both types of drive on previous bikes. I'd say it depends on personal preferences.

Weight differs quite a bit. Has to matter when off bike and pushing (especially up a hill), and when seated and backing up. On the other hand, like previously mentioned, the Yamaha gives the advantage of lower center of gravity which has to help once the bike starts to tip to the side. Too bad the Yamaha isn't 75 pounds lighter to get the best of both worlds.

OP mentions lot's of 2up off-road riding: That's a special condition that he should base his final decision on after riding both that way. But, if I were riding 35% off-road, I'd use a bike with a 21" front wheel, like the Tiger XC or my old BMW GS.

Personally I'm looking for more bias towards comfortable sport touring and leaning towards the Suzuki. I'm replacing my Wee after 100,000 miles. I've been satisfied with it's off-road capabilities after modding suspension, and now mostly looking for more power and ABS.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #39
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
It would be a great "check!" if Yammy came in late 2014 with a midsize tenere -50lbs under the V-strom 1000 but packing a little more punch, and all the multi-surface capability of the big brother....

btw... its hard to remember now, but there was a time when Yammy were not sure they would even OFFER the S10 in the USA.. I wonder now if they look back and go "man were we stoopid"
I guess it depends how many they have sold. I see them regularly up here in Colorado... not sure about other places in the USA.

A midsized Tenere in the 800-900 range would have to be more than 50lbs lighter for me to ever consider it. 425ish feels right, but you'd lose the shaft drive, the ABS, the steel frame and steel wheels...
Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #40
woody115
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Chain

I'm really blown away on how a chain is such a big deal to people...

Just lube everytime you get off a ride, while chain is still warm, and erring on the side of preventative maintenence. Change both sprockets very 15-25m miles (Cheap) and every other sprocket change, replace the chain. This will still be less than 20% of replacing a blown up shaft.

Unless you are riding completely off road like a dirtbike, no worries ever in 35+ yrs of riding.

I like both, just sayin...

Easy Peezy Peeps.

woody115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #41
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody115 View Post
I'm really blown away on how a chain is such a big deal to people...

Just lube everytime you get off a ride, while chain is still warm, and erring on the side of preventative maintenence. Change both sprockets very 15-25m miles (Cheap) and every other sprocket change, replace the chain. This will still be less than 20% of replacing a blown up shaft.

Unless you are riding completely off road like a dirtbike, no worries ever in 35+ yrs of riding.

I like both, just sayin...

Easy Peezy Peeps.

it's not just the hassle...people that put 15k miles a year, its an added expense... and for what? its not a motocross/sportbike...
Old 09-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #42
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,999
OP,

You say 35% of your riding will be offroad, in the mtns of Colorado. I'm looking at the pics of the 2014 VStrom with those cast wheels and shaking my head. You realize that the entire state of CO is one giant crumbling boulder right? The offroading there is very rocky. IMO, the spoked wheels of the Tenere are much more appropriate for that type of terrain. No, they're not indestructible, and can also get dinged, but overall I think they're a better choice.

Should that decide which bike to get? No, but I do think it adds a (+) in the Tenere column that I haven't seen mentioned by the internexperts (tm). Even if you end up with the VStrom, given your choice of riding venues, I think you should consider the cost of getting some stronger wheels as part of the purchase price of the Suzuki.

Best of luck in your decision.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #43
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
OP,

You say 35% of your riding will be offroad, in the mtns of Colorado. I'm looking at the pics of the 2014 VStrom with those cast wheels and shaking my head. You realize that the entire state of CO is one giant crumbling boulder right? The offroading there is very rocky. IMO, the spoked wheels of the Tenere are much more appropriate
you're making a point, but Seriously, gang, a rockpile is no place for a bloated pig of a motorcycle. I've ridden some of those roads myself on three bikes [all too heavy, frankly]: 04 weestrom, 02 DR650, and 00 plated XR650R. all of them suffered from being the "wrong tool" - the XR/DR are a tossup - still both too stinking heavy. Maybe a WR!, or a DRZ "E" model DS'd. now those would be weaponry for such a great riding place.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #44
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,450
Super Canary's rise with the sun.

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #45
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post

The sales of the Tenere in the USA have not been spectacular, to say the least.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote