Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns View Post
Maybe the guy knew the area and felt it's no biggie.
Yeah - maybe the last two times the road was flooded like that he just zipped right across.
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
kniepm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
In case of a water landing ...
kniepm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
As an experienced river runner I can state with authority, that he's very lucky to be alive. Trees and brush combined with even a slight current (called strainers) are one of the most common causes for drownings on the river. Flood waters are especially dangerous. He could have easily been pinned under that tree he swam through and that would have been all she wrote. Foot entrapment is another serious dander even in quite shallow swift water. Generally speaking, swift water beyond knee deep should be avoided w/o rescue systems already in place.

His willingness to proceed without having pre scouted the entire route/channel shows that he has little respect/knowledge about the dangers of swift water. In any case by frame 1:10 it should have been abundantly clear that the channel ahead was much deeper and swifter than any thing before it (especially considering that it was shot with an ultra-wide POV cam). It was an absolutely fool hardy decision to continue. He's lucky he only lost his bike.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)

glasswave screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 05:04 PM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
How to cross a flooded road?
Don't. Would be my general advice.

I came to a screeching halt when 10" of water came shooting across the the road a few minutes down the road after crossing this quebrada near Banos, Ecuador.

It was a good decision, because w/in a few minutes after stopping the channel looked like this.

And the channel behind me looked like this (as you can see, this was shot well after the peak flow):

Although I was trapped for 6 hours, I still have my bike and my life because I had respect for flood waters.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 904
anybody know where i can get a black drz400 cheap??
Old 09-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
At least he saved his purse
That must have been scary as fuck!
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #22
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Really?

More like an F for F@cking stupid.
+1 It is hard to imagine a person that stupid. Very lucky dumbass.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
That confirms my suspicions about the educational system.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,273
I am not throwing any stones because I did something dumb like that when I was a kid although I managed to fish the bike out down stream. Wish I would have let it go because it never ran right after the dunking.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I am not throwing any stones because I did something dumb like that when I was a kid although I managed to fish the bike out down stream. Wish I would have let it go because it never ran right after the dunking.
yeh done with a few two strokes
dry the air filter
flip the lid of the motor
turn the bike upside down
turn the motor over
release water
put together
ride away
hate these fragile 4 strokes
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #26
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
he's very lucky to be alive. Trees and brush combined with even a slight current (called strainers) are one of the most common causes for drownings on the river. Flood waters are especially dangerous. He could have easily been pinned under that tree he swam through and that would have been all she wrote. Foot entrapment is another serious dander even in quite shallow swift water. Generally speaking, swift water beyond knee deep should be avoided w/o rescue systems already in place.

His willingness to proceed without having pre scouted the entire route/channel shows that he has little respect/knowledge about the dangers of swift water. In any case by frame 1:10 it should have been abundantly clear that the channel ahead was much deeper and swifter than any thing before it (especially considering that it was shot with an ultra-wide POV cam). It was an absolutely fool hardy decision to continue. He's lucky he only lost his bike.
I fully agree. There is no way he was ever gonna make it through that water. Where he went down, didnt even look like he was getting close to dry land, quite the contrary. And he did a proper swimming trip with the bike, and could have very easily drowned. So yes, hes lucky to only lose his bike.

Once I hit a huge traffic jam on a plain in Java, Indonesia. A river had busted a bridge up ahead, but to learn about this took some time, and sure enough, by then also the way back was cut off. Then the water started rising, first on the plain, and soon it came to the road as well. It rose to 1,5-2 feet, and still kept rising (it was running quite fast, too, you could really feel it was getting hard to stand still), so Im very glad we happened to meet a local on a scooter, who knew a path through the fields onto higher ground. You cant see through that kind of muddy water at all, so it was scary to ride through it, even when there was a road underneath.

Also made some interesting water-crossings in Cambodia and Laos before. Based on these experiences, Id say maximum knee-deep, not very wide, and not running very fast, then I might think about crossing. If there is no certainty of any one of these, then I wont go. And if there are a lot of rocks underneath the flowing water, Ill probably skip it, as they tend to make staying upright very complicated.

Also it is good to think a bit about the terrain, when you ride thru some flood-risk areas. Basically you should never cross any water, if you cant see, that the road is clearly going higher after it. Water level can and will change, and you can get stuck between two impenetrable crossings.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #27
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
What a fucking idiot. I've done more river crossings then I could keep track of on a 240lbs dirtbike and I'd NEVER attempt one like that. Especially not without checking the depth through my entire route first.

I'm starting to think a snowmobile is the best way to get around. Just put some small wheels built into your skis and you should be good to go.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #28
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
That was nuts because the farther he went it was just getting deeper and with more flow.

I was well known in my local area as the Trailboss who would put a notoriously long water crossing in my events but that was ride-able and stable, there all the time and not due to floods.

But this guy was riding into a dynamic situation toward an area with greater cross flow where there was more likely to be a washout. VERY dumb move. And his bike paid the price. He is lucky to be alive, as someone else pointed out he could have been swept under the trees and brush and been drowned.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
No way I would have tried that . But like someone said he might had been a local and knew what the normal flood waters did .

I grew up in a place called the Lowgrounds and we flooded all the time so I would drive my truck in crossing up to 4 feet deep with out to much worry . After a hurricane I was riding along and got to a swamp crossing that normally flooded and I noticed it was NOT as deep as it should have been I backed off and put a piece of orange trail tape across the road . I made the 8 mile loop which took about half the day , had to get my tractor to cut and pull trees out the road to get there . When I got to the opposite of the crossing there was a honda CRX bobbing up a down against the tree line. Come to find out a come here lately had trying making it across , about 5 foot into his crossing the front of the cars front fell into a wash that was about 20 foot long and about 6 foot deep we found out later .He was able to get out and walk to the nearest house. So when I had came from the other way it was about 8 foot deep water there in that spot . You can still see where they patched road on google earth

Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
That got really deep, really fast. He's lucky he was able to get out of the current, it looked like there were plenty of things in the river to get snagged on and then drowned.
This^^^ He could very easily have gotten pinned, and drowned, on the debris at the 2:02 mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
People make mistakes
That's why you have insurance

There is no such a thing as a stupidity clause.
Its kinda sad when folks say to lie about it...and expect their insurance company to cover such stupidity. The same ones probably bitch about their insurance premiums being high. Put two and two together people...

The guy is a dumb ass and should be grateful he is still alive.

The video also doesn't show the lead up to where he stopped and was assessing the situation. He could have ridden right by "road closed" sign/barrier.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote