Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #31
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

There is no such a thing as a stupidity clause.
Its kinda sad when folks say to lie about it...and expect their insurance company to cover such stupidity. The same ones probably bitch about their insurance premiums being high. Put two and two together people...
That's what comprehensive insurance is for. Why get it if you don't plan to use it when you need it?
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #32
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
That's what comprehensive insurance is for. Why get it if you don't plan to use it when you need it?
So, anyone can go out and trash their vehicle for fun because its "covered"?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #33
Handy
Sunburnt

I wouldn't say he necessarily "trashed his vehicle for fun". He made a judgement call and things didn't work out like he hope they would. A lot of people are saying that he is a dumb ass for trying out that water crossing. Well, there are a lot of people who say that anyone who rides a motorcycle is a dumb ass. Does that mean if you you get into an accident on your MC you shouldn't make an insurance claim because in the eyes of some you made a bad decision by riding the bike in the first place?
Awful judgmental for a bunch of people who claim to like adventure riding. Good chance I would have made the same choice as that guy if I were in his position, it didn't look that bad when he started out. At least he lived through it and if he has insurance his bike will likely be covered, if not he learned an expensive lesson.
Just to be clear I have been paying insurance for 18 years and have never made a claim.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #34
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Old 09-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #35
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 11,100
It's as if some folks have never heard that even shallow water is dangerous if it's flowing. Haven't we all seen news clips of floods for crissakes? Haven't we all seen those vids of drainage canals full of swift-moving water only knee deep with people needing a swiftwater rescue team to save their lives?

According to FEMA, about half of all flood fatalities are related to vehicles trying to drive on flooded roadways. Most full-size vehicles (including high-clearance SUVs and pickups) are carried away in only two feet of water. Little dual-sport bikes? Someone on foot? Not a chance.

Having spent years in emergency services, I take a dim view of idiots who put rescuers at risk with bonehead moves. Anyone know what a sweeper is? He narrowly missed one. I always hated seeing friends risking their lives recovering bodies from sweepers.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #36
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
....He made a judgement call and things didn't work out like he hope they would. A lot of people are saying that he is a dumb ass for trying out that water crossing....

Good chance I would have made the same choice as that guy if I were in his position, it didn't look that bad when he started out. At least he lived through it and if he has insurance his bike will likely be covered, if not he learned an expensive lesson.
Well, I hope you've learned a lot from this video and if confronted with swift water more than several inches deep will be very hesitant to proceed and if you cant see the bottom walk the entire proposed route first.

It looked terrible to me. The river was clearly way over its banks, was in massive flood, moving very fast even at the edge and appeared to be at least a 1/2 km wide. He didn't stop to inquire with the other people either. Finally, we was alone which adds another great dimension of danger to endeavors such as this.

I may be bias because I have 25 years experience with whitewater river running, but I can't can't help but think that anybody who would come upon this scene at not have their mountain sense screaming to them at full volume, doesn't have much mountain sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
It's as if some folks have never heard that even shallow water is dangerous if it's flowing. Haven't we all seen news clips of floods for crissakes? Haven't we all seen those vids of drainage canals full of swift-moving water only knee deep with people needing a swiftwater rescue team to save their lives?

According to FEMA, about half of all flood fatalities are related to vehicles trying to drive on flooded roadways. Most full-size vehicles (including high-clearance SUVs and pickups) are carried away in only two feet of water. Little dual-sport bikes? Someone on foot? Not a chance.

Having spent years in emergency services, I take a dim view of idiots who put rescuers at risk with bonehead moves. Anyone know what a sweeper is? He narrowly missed one. I always hated seeing friends risking their lives recovering bodies from sweepers.
+1
You see these kinds of rescue vids all over the news, youtube and trueTV.
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #37
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Awful judgmental for a bunch of people who claim to like adventure riding. Good chance I would have made the same choice as that guy if I were in his position, it didn't look that bad when he started out. At least he lived through it and if he has insurance his bike will likely be covered, if not he learned an expensive lesson.
With any basic understanding about the power of fast moving water, from the video you can see, that he didn´t have a snowballs chance in hell. He probably did not think he could turn back (and after a while, maybe it was true, too). I´m all for adventure, but risking your life doing something you just simply are not going to succeed at, that´s not adventure. I don´t think he fully understood what he was trying to do either. Certainly understands better now. Glad that the lesson didn´t cost him his life.

And I think he´s gonna have to lie, a lot, to get any compensation for the bike from an insurance company.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #38
Handy
Sunburnt

Looking at the video again it does seem like a poorer decision to give that crossing a try than the first time I watched it. The biggest problem I see is that he just can't see how far he has to travel through the water before he gets out of it.
I do have a lot of experience in swift water and I also am willing to take on higher risks than a lot of people.
Around here we don't really get floods like that and if it did happen I wouldn't be out in it unless I had to.
If there is water crossing the road here it generally doesn't last long and is easy to wait it out. I lived in Oklahoma for a couple years while in the Army and the back roads around there don't even have bridges for the most part and the water crossings after a rain are generally not a big deal.
I don't know where he was in that video but it is not very like any water crossings that I have experience with.
As far as having to lie to get the insurance to cover it I don't see why he would have to. This is exactly what I think comprehensive insurance coverage is for.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #39
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,639
There is a lot of dumb in this world. So much so that AZ instituted a "Stupid Motorist" law, wherein during the monsoon season if one tries the cross the swift moving wash rife with "DO NOT CROSS IF FLOODED" signs and then their vehicle invariably gets washed away, the driver of the vehicle is fiscally responsible for the rescue operation. And good.
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #40
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,917
It seems that the water had already receded quite a bit before he showed up.

Taking risk(hold my beer and watch this) and assessing your risk) knowing what your doing and form a plan) are two different things. This was just total ignorance of the situation at hand. Passing all those people stopped and watching the water should have been a clue.
Like someone else said, you see videos of clueless people like this being rescued during nearly every flood.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #41
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Just use your head a little, and you should not get into a situation like this.

And there´s simply no two words about it: the “river” was big enough, that he should have parked the bike, and walked first. Then I´m sure he would have looked far enough and seen, that it´s just not do-able at the moment. I hope other riders, who have seen this thread, will take notice. Swift water will always require you to be extremely careful.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #42
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
I wouldn't say he necessarily "trashed his vehicle for fun". He made a judgement call and things didn't work out like he hope they would. A lot of people are saying that he is a dumb ass for trying out that water crossing. Well, there are a lot of people who say that anyone who rides a motorcycle is a dumb ass. Does that mean if you you get into an accident on your MC you shouldn't make an insurance claim because in the eyes of some you made a bad decision by riding the bike in the first place?
Just to be clear I have been paying insurance for 18 years and have never made a claim.
yes I agree
how many people have pulled out of rips at the beach, heaps.
people just make a mistake
do I have a go at them
no
an error in judgement
rode through a fast flowing river crossing the other day.
made it but the next bike did not.
that's why we pay insurance
our lack of judgement
someone else's
gods act
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #43
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
rode through a fast flowing river crossing the other day.
made it but the next bike did not.
that's why we pay insurance
This one you haven´t really figured out yet how it works, buddy.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #44
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
This one you haven´t really figured out yet how it works, buddy.
Why it could have been me
But it wasn't
So that's why I pay insurance
To protect myself
And others from
My or their mistakes.
Life is to be lived
He made a calculated risk
And he gambled wrong
He lost his bike
But he won as he is alive
And able to tell a good story
That's what a adventure is
Cheers.
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #45
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
He made a calculated risk
If that was calculated, then he's really not good with numbers.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote