User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
stucknarut OP
Uh oh...

Oddometer: 159
Shift lever won't return

I haven't run into this one before, any ideas?. I took the shift lever off my trans to clean it, was working fine before-hand. I put it back and it's very stiff, won't come back after shifting. But only once the tapered bolt is more than halfway in. Just barely in, works fine. Same bolt, same shift lever installed on a spare trans I have, works fine. WTH? Seems like the tapered bolt is putting stress on the shaft and causing it to bind, but I'm not sure how or why.
stucknarut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,976
Year and model bike/transmission. Many miles? Other recent problems? Anything you have fixed recently?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
stucknarut OP
Uh oh...

Oddometer: 159
Yeah I guess that would help. 72 /5, 4 speed transmission. Unknown mileage. I just swapped a motor from one frame to another, draining, removing, and reinstalling trans to do so. It was working fine before removal of the shift lever. Screw it, will swap the spare in and figure it out later, I need this back on the road ASAP.
stucknarut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 858
How hard did the tapered pin come out? If the pin wasn't real tight (drifted out easily), when you tightened it, you may have tightened it too much. You may have deformed the shift lever just enough that it now tightens up against the case when you tighten the pin/bolt. You will liklely have to take it back off and shave the face of the shift lever to loosen it up. They don't need to be real tight, just tight enough that there's no movement between the lever and the shaft.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
How hard did the tapered pin come out? If the pin wasn't real tight (drifted out easily), when you tightened it, you may have tightened it too much. You may have deformed the shift lever just enough that it now tightens up against the case when you tighten the pin/bolt. You will liklely have to take it back off and shave the face of the shift lever to loosen it up. They don't need to be real tight, just tight enough that there's no movement between the lever and the shaft.
Those tapered pins can be a bitch. I've had a few /5's and the pins were "un-movable" on every one. I was scared to apply too much force pounding on them and bend something....luckily I've never been in a position that I had to get one out. I'll heat the surrounding alloy to maybe get some expansion next time.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
das ist gut
been there done that

Oddometer: 22
I do not have experience with that particular pin and install.

But I notice you say clean the shifter
IF....if within the shifter setup, you have linkages.
And you cleaned the linkages, ARE YOU POSITIVE the linkages ARE NOT the problem now?

Are they totally clean, no grit worked it's way into a block movement situation?
sometimes cleaning leaves some lose grit, and NEW lose grit sometimes stays there, unseen, and then it can work it's way into the worst positions when you reassemble the parts.
Are the linkages put together correctly?
And if you had to move the adjusters, obviously they need to be adjusted correct.

Yes, all of this can be very complex and difficult to get back "just the right way", even for an experienced BMW Motorbike Mechanic.

Again, I DO NOT know that motorbike shifter setup, so my words may not be applicable for that specific transmission/shifter.

However, they are very good words for a lot of BMW motorbikes, and especially R100GS.

hope you find the gremlin
das
das ist gut is offline   Reply With Quote