ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #16
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
I would love to be able to do something about the rear brakes. Woefully undersized or have poor heat disapation or both. The fronts on the non ABS bikes had a nice feel to them but once you get used to them the ABS ones allow you brake with confidence in some pretty slippery stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #17
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
According to physics, the bmw's braking distance can't be shorter than the ADV's..

1, Try progressive braking. (if you are comparing the bikes by slaming on the brake, immediately activating the ABS / locking the wheel(s), then that's not the way you should use the brakes on a motorbike) - nope, not even in emergencies.. that's why there are safety trainings to overcome this reflex.
2, The front wheel can be locked with the ABS switched off / non-ABS model 9x0, so I don't see how it doesn't have enough braking power.
3, Try a more accurate measurement
4, Sell the KTM's, if you find the GS better.

Just my $0.02

Sumi screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 04:51 AM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #18
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Really, it can't get simpler than this:

KTM adv brakes = Dirt-bike biased brakes (softer)
BMW GS brakes = street-bike biased brakes (less soft)...if one has ever ridden proper sportbike brakes, eg CBR954RR, then one can realise that GS brakes are not anything to write home about either.

If one wishes to ugrade KTM adv brakes, then one has to install 320mm discs and/or non-sliding calipers.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #19
rattis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quality advice

maybe you should have stayed on in school and studied some more physics!
The fact that different vehicles have different stopping distances is then not a fact, dump trucks and formula one cars all the same
advice number 4: puleeese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
According to physics, the bmw's braking distance can't be shorter than the ADV's..

1, Try progressive braking. (if you are comparing the bikes by slaming on the brake, immediately activating the ABS / locking the wheel(s), then that's not the way you should use the brakes on a motorbike) - nope, not even in emergencies.. that's why there are safety trainings to overcome this reflex.
2, The front wheel can be locked with the ABS switched off / non-ABS model 9x0, so I don't see how it doesn't have enough braking power.
3, Try a more accurate measurement
4, Sell the KTM's, if you find the GS better.

Just my $0.02
Old 09-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #20
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Buy a 950 SM! brakes
Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Safe, stable braking on any vehicle is more that just MxV. Being able to easily apply the brake just to point of locking is also important. On ABS 990s finding the sweet spot takes a bit of practice. The brakes feel a lot more spongy than the non ABS bikes.

Another factor maybe the geometry. The leverey way the BMW is built means it doesn't dive under braking.

I think for road riding the brakes are okay but nothing special. But they actually work better than you realize as I discovered the other day.

Very good in the dirt. (Until you overheat the rear).

To the OP maybe try a harder pad if you can get them. I have found in the past a harder improves the 'feel'

Quote:
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #22
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Really, it can't get simpler than this:

KTM adv brakes = Dirt-bike biased brakes (softer)
BMW GS brakes = street-bike biased brakes (less soft)...if one has ever ridden proper sportbike brakes, eg CBR954RR, then one can realise that GS brakes are not anything to write home about either.

If one wishes to ugrade KTM adv brakes, then one has to install 320mm discs and/or non-sliding calipers.
You call those brakes proper?
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #23
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
I think the OP missed the point of the 990... Go over it... Cars, children, houses, whatever...

Eh... on a more serious note however, I wouldn't mind trying the master cylinder from a Super Duke... But alas, I'm rockin the HDB guards so that won't happen.
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #24
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
I think the OP missed the point of the 990... Go over it... Cars, children, houses, whatever...

Eh... on a more serious note however, I wouldn't mind trying the master cylinder from a Super Duke... But alas, I'm rockin the HDB guards so that won't happen.
+the radial calpiers <3

i sure miss those babies on the road.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #25
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,807
My ABS are way worse than my non ABS in feeling

So I guess stopping distance should differ. However, if slamming the ABS fully is an option, they should outperform the human factor.
You can improove braking feeling with better brake pads and/or better brake lines for the 990.
My 0.02
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #26
rattis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Talking Missing the point

yes maybe I've missed the point of having and adventure bike as I'm actually using for that and not passing my time in the garage farkeling it.
So far I've put 8000 miles on in 7 weeks ,going from the west coast of the US down and around in Mexico.
Driving on good roads and bad roads, through the desert, along the coast, up in the mountains.
Next leg will be to Argie in december and back to Europe via Africa
So I'm living the adventure and not just posting on Orange crush about how hardcore I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post

Old 09-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,079
My 990 SMR brakes are two finger lock-up easy. A pre-ABS model.

Same on my 2009 690r Enduro-very strong brakes. Takes a light touch off road.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #28
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
yes maybe I've missed the point of having and adventure bike as I'm actually using for that and not passing my time in the garage farkeling it.
So far I've put 8000 miles on in 7 weeks ,going from the west coast of the US down and around in Mexico.
Driving on good roads and bad roads, through the desert, along the coast, up in the mountains.
Next leg will be to Argie in december and back to Europe via Africa
So I'm living the adventure and not just posting on Orange crush about how hardcore I am.

I think what you don't realize is that you ARE posting in OC about how hardcore you are... spouting off about where you are going and the amount of miles you have covered in X amount of time in a thread you started about brakes..

I was simply offering advice on checking the SD brake equipment (what you were wanting from the thread, no?)...
Do you honestly think I ride over cars, children, and houses? That is what we call a joke over here in OC ... I'm terribly sorry to have questioned your ability as a rider. I had no clue you were SO sensitive ..

I'd love to know where you surmise that I'm sitting in my garage "farkeling." My 990 happens to be my only vehicle and my day to day transportation..

You really would fit in better over in GSpot..
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #29
ciedema
мотоциклист

Stuff me all OP asked was how to improve the brakes as he doesn't compared to his GS. All he got back for the most part were either reasons why he should live it, that he was wrong or to go back his Bmmer.

Quite pathetic IMHO. The brakes on the ABS 990 do feel very vague conpared to even a 950. And the rear brakes are very prone to over heating The fronts do work well when really pushed but they certainly could be better.

One thing I was thinking about is if the vagueness/spongey feel is down to the length of the brake lines.

Quote:
Old 09-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #30
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
I think the Adventure front brake sucks too! To the OP this is what you need. No one makes a kit you have to source the parts yourself but well worth it. One finger is all you need. 6.6lbs lighter.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=320mm+brake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=320mm+brake
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote