Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #31
990west
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I find the brakes strong enough to get into the ABS, not sure how much stronger they need to be. I am using a Mefo front and haven't tried a really street oriented tire to see if that might show the flaws more. Aren't tires the limiting factor with most of our bikes? What I do have a problem with is the HUGE amount of dive I get in an abrupt stop on asphalt. It's a hard bike to be smooth on the street if you up the pace a bit. I need a spring upgrade for sure (valving maybe too?). I think the physics comment might have come from the difference in weight between the two.
990west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:00 AM   #32
Decepticon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Puke Different machines

990 is a lighter, off road oriented bike.
1200 is a two-wheel bus for streets and tarmac

ABS is not precisely accurate for off road use, that's why there is a switch to disengage it in the 990

1200 is for (old) guys who forget how to brake properly in emergencies or how to throttle safely in a curve, need to know how much gas you have and need to be informed when to do oil changes, summing up, for people who forget how to drive.

My 990 brakes well. I ride ca. 500 km a week in paved roads and streets and sometimes I feel that she's not braking, that's ABS working because I'm riding at 110 km/h and everything is approaching very fast. Good braking techniques have saved my life plenty of times in a non-ABS bike

You can set your front suspension to be more rigid, maybe you feel the brakes that way

You said it, GSpot forum is boring, maybe 'cause KTMs are funnier
Decepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #33
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 565
Dear Rattis

Your original question was a good one. The BMW brakes are better than the KTM brakes for road riding. It's a fact, backed up in tests. However, breaking, like many things, is a compromise. Very powerful brakes are not generally considered best for off-road, and as the KTM is more off-road focused than the BM, KTM have chosen to fit the less powerful, but more sensitive, floating calipers.

I can suggest three things:

1) Recalibrate your expectations (as others have said, the KTM brakes are good enough to overwhelm the front tyre's grip in the dry - at medium and lower speeds - but you need to squeeze the lever harder.

2) Change your riding style to better suit a V-twin. There is more engine breaking with the KTM, so reduce the straight-line speed so that heavy breaking is not required or necessary when you get to the bend (turn). If you think that means ride slow, then you need to work on your corner speed. All things being equal, the KTM will go faster on twisty roads than the BM GS12 (previous models; I can't say about the water-cooled GS).

3) Try different brake pads - I've found SBS sinter pads to be the best (though they don't last that long).

If you don't ride off-road, perhaps you should sell the KTM 990 and buy a KTM 1190 - they have road brakes similar to the BM. Then, you may find the BM surplus to your requirements.

Rupert
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #34
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,508
I agree with the OP on the differences. I've discovered cat like reflexes I never knew I had

I always figured KTM spent money on the suspension not the brakes. Most brands cut corners on the suspension.

Love my 990a, will proaly own an SMR down the road.
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #35
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 16,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
I think what you don't realize is that you ARE posting in OC about how hardcore you are... spouting off about where you are going and the amount of miles you have covered in X amount of time in a thread you started about brakes..

I was simply offering advice on checking the SD brake equipment (what you were wanting from the thread, no?)...
Do you honestly think I ride over cars, children, and houses? That is what we call a joke over here in OC ... I'm terribly sorry to have questioned your ability as a rider. I had no clue you were SO sensitive ..

I'd love to know where you surmise that I'm sitting in my garage "farkeling." My 990 happens to be my only vehicle and my day to day transportation..

You really would fit in better over in GSpot..
I'm with Pistolero.

I posted early on about getting Galfer wave rotors and pads. The OP seems to want to just bitch and present himself as a badass. Whatever. My brakes work great.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #36
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 855
I've had BMWs and KTMs and there is a difference. BMW comes with the weird front end that blows on anything except pavement but nicely keeps dive to a minimum.

Otherwise, they both have similar Brembo calipers and will work just as well as the other with the same tires and brake pads. A big fat and soft 19" Anakee is going to bite better than a narrow tall and slim 21" Scorpion... The bike with Galfer Green pads is going to stop better than the identical bike with semi-metallic Brembo stock pads... etc...etc...

I remember back when BMW was inflicting those weird servo brakes on us, they were getting sued over them and people had allegedly dies as a result of their failure. I have had 2 BMW brake failures due to the manufacturers penchant to bleed at the edge of technology. First time is when I learned you cannot turn ABS off if the battery is dead. Try going down the side of a gravel mountain road with umpteen switchbacks with no brakes because the computer thinks he's smarter than the rider! No brakes...without engine braking I'd have taken flight! Next time was on a R1200GS. Experienced the Dr.ABS sudden no brake syndrome. Leaning out of a corner looking at a ravine on one side and a blind oncoming lane on the other, pull the lever hard to slow down to avoid becoming a trailer hitch on a couple old state dump trucks puttering up a hill AND nothing happens, nothing! Good thing for me there wasn't a car coming in the other lane!

Suffice it to say, I'm more than OK with KTM brakes!
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #37
rattis OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Talking

No I don't think I'm hardcore but as you surmise I might have the pleasure as well.
I do use my bike and as I have 2 KTM and one BMW methinks that even if we have diametrically opposed opinions it is not for you to tell me in what forum I should post BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
I think what you don't realize is that you ARE posting in OC about how hardcore you are... spouting off about where you are going and the amount of miles you have covered in X amount of time in a thread you started about brakes..

I was simply offering advice on checking the SD brake equipment (what you were wanting from the thread, no?)...
Do you honestly think I ride over cars, children, and houses? That is what we call a joke over here in OC ... I'm terribly sorry to have questioned your ability as a rider. I had no clue you were SO sensitive ..

I'd love to know where you surmise that I'm sitting in my garage "farkeling." My 990 happens to be my only vehicle and my day to day transportation..

You really would fit in better over in GSpot..
Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #38
rattis OP
Studly Adventurer

Thumb Pussycat

It's rather depressing to see/ read how grown men, I assume that you are a man, but you never know, not being able to read and understand your mother language.
I want to, if possible, to improve my KTM to make my trip more enjoyable/ safer.
For me brakes are important and I don't think brakes can be too good.
To much bite= don't press so hard on the lever
The reason I stated traveled km/ miles was to show that I don't sit on my behind and let others drive and live the life on the road and just read about in on ADV.
I want to use my bike to see beyond CONUS.
And if what I do out there in the big badass foreign parts of the world is bitching to you. I say get a grip and do something to broaden your horizon and see that here are things beyond KTM and brand fanaticism.
Grow up!
The Galfer shop was closed on sunday...
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
I'm with Pistolero.

I posted early on about getting Galfer wave rotors and pads. The OP seems to want to just bitch and present himself as a badass. Whatever. My brakes work great.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #39
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 16,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
It's rather depressing to see/ read how grown men, I assume that you are a man, but you never know, not being able to read and understand your mother language.
I want to, if possible, to improve my KTM to make my trip more enjoyable/ safer.
The reason I stated traveled km/ miles was to show that I don't sit on my behind and let others drive and live the life on the road and just read about in on ADV.
And if what I do out there in the big badass foreign parts of the world is bitching to you. I say get a grip and do something to broaden your horizon and see that here are things beyond KTM and brand fanaticism.
Grow up!

Atta boy!

You asked for advice. You got it. You chose to be a dick to those offering it. Good luck with that approach. I'm sure you'll never need advice from the OC again.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #40
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
as I have 2 KTM and one BMW
Yeah... We heard you the first times..
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #41
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 736
Quote:

Atta boy!

You asked for advice. You got it. You chose to be a dick to those offering it. Good luck with that approach. I'm sure you'll never need advice from the OC again.
^ this... I'm done with this dumbass thread.. Off to not be as cool as the OP some other place...
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #42
wee tee cee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
You could try lacing your wheels 19/17 in GS sizes, on road the braking and handling will improve dramatically. Put the suspension on sport settings will also help and wont cost you anything.

The ABS saved my life when a nice lady changed lane on the motorway in driving rain.....thought I was toast, the ABS let me stop and steer without losing the front in appalling conditions.

Both GS and 990 are great bikes but as previous posters have said its a bit like comparing apples with pears.

34k on my original front disks......few sets of standard pads and brake stripdowns as the salt used here on the roads causes chaos with corrosion.

Enjoy your riding whatever you throw a leg over.......and the advice regards practising full blown stops somewhere is good council.
wee tee cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #43
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 571
Quote:

Atta boy!

+1 Next time just keep your questions to yourself and lurk... or better yet, just sell your ktm and stick to the BMW... you fit in better over there...
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #44
rattis OP
Studly Adventurer

Why should I sell my bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
+1 Next time just keep your questions to yourself and lurk... or better yet, just sell your ktm and stick to the BMW... you fit in better over there...

rattis screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 10:43 AM
rattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #45
ThisWayHome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I presume you are from Scandinavia (perhaps Sweden), a lovely area where people are educated in the fine art of reading comprehension and equipped with the decency to offer a differing view in a civil manner. Please excuse the rude comments from my fellow Americans suggesting you look to another forum for a solution to the KTM's average breaking abilities.

It is beyond me why members of the forum either think the KTM 990 Adventure is God's gift to motorcycle riders (brand apologists/fanatics), offer clearly nonsensical and incorrect lessons on physics (knuckleheads), or pursue random tangents that aren't helpful to the original poster.

Quote:
Grow up!
ThisWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote