Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #46
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWayHome View Post
I presume you are from Scandinavia (perhaps Sweden), a lovely area where people are educated in the fine art of reading comprehension and equipped with the decency to offer a differing view in a civil manner. Please excuse the rude comments from my fellow Americans suggesting you look to another forum for a solution to the KTM's average breaking abilities.

It is beyond me why members of the forum either think the KTM 990 Adventure is God's gift to motorcycle riders (brand apologists/fanatics), offer clearly nonsensical and incorrect lessons on physics (knuckleheads), or pursue random tangents that aren't helpful to the original poster.
I suggest you take a look at his condescending comments.

When one gets advice, for which he's asked, he is impolite to mock and belittle the suggestions received as well as the folks offering them, irrespective of his opinion of the quality and content thereof. If such person is unwilling to simply ignore the lacking content, but instead mock the responses, he can expect some push back- as well as a little less assistance from some of the very generous folks around here.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #47
ThisWayHome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Since I'm on the road traveling on my bike and have time to burn, I actually went back to read through the comments again and honestly don't get the vibe that he was condescending in his response to feedback provided. I suppose we all have different viewpoints and are free to view events differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post

When one gets advice, for which he's asked, he is impolite to mock and belittle the suggestions received as well as the folks offering them, irrespective of his opinion of the quality and content thereof. If such person is unwilling to simply ignore the lacking content, but instead mock the responses, he can expect some push back- as well as a little less assistance from some of the very generous folks around here.
ThisWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #48
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWayHome View Post
Since I'm on the road traveling on my bike and have time to burn.
I get the feeling you are just like him...
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #49
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
KTM brakes vs real brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post

Why are we getting flamed by a self-righteous noob?

Pistolero screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 08:32 AM
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #50
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
I usually avoid these flamefests. But thought I'd add a couple of thoughts on this one:

Seems to me that the premise of the original question is the problem and several responders address it. MANY Adventures see more off road use than MOST GS's. MOST of both see primarily ON ROAD use. The KTM is more dirt oriented than the BMW. The BMW brakes beat the KTM brakes ON ROAD. The KTM brakes beat the BMW OFF ROAD. Surprise surprise!!!

Want you Adventure to break as well as a BMW GS? Get a KTM SMT or other more street oriented model.

Since when is a guy belittled for being a "Noob", because he hasn't been posting on this site?

I subscribe to the notion that there is no such thing as a stupid question. I say skip the judgements as to a poster's knowledge.

Oh yeah, there is a way to ask for advice without inviting the flamers in. And it is not using words like KTM brakes vs "REAL" brakes.

FWIW
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #51
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Instead of everyone bitchin at the guy let's give him help. A 320mm set up is pricey but you could just change the master cylinder. With the two piston calipers on an Adventure you get alot of flex and friction do to the design. Throw in a flexy brake line and KTM chose to use a big Master cylinder to flow alot of oil. Lever feel comes in to play by a ratio of caliper piston area vs. master cylinder piston area.
Let's do some math.
Stock caliper has (1) 30mm piston and (1) 32mm piston.
(2) 30mm pistons = 1413.72 area mm2
(2) 32mm pistons = 1608.50 for a combined area of 3022.22
I don't know for sure but have heard the stock MC is a 16mm or larger.
16mm = 201.06
3022.22 divided by 201.06 gives us a ratio of 15.031. Ratios below 20:1 give you that wooden feel. You want the ratio to be between 27:1(two finger range) down to 23:1 for a firmer lever.

1/2 " = 126.68 for a ratio of 23.857
12mm= 113.10 for a ratio of 26.7:1

What I would suggest is to try a Honda TRX quad caliper. They can be found on e-bay for $50. Then get a stainless brake line $75+-. That's cheeper than just the 320mm disc will cost ya. Also, that master cylinder will work pretty well on the Motomaster 4-piston caliper (with 320mm disc) because it has less flex and smaller pistons if you decide to go that route at a later date.

Larger Master cylinder bore moves more oil quicker = less lever movement. The smaller bore will move oil slower resulting in more lever movement but better feel.

If you have a single piston caliper or 4-piston fixed caliper the ratios are different.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #52
rattis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Thanks

a lot to those of you who are not bitten by brand fanaticism and have taken time to answer my question instead of giving me ideas about selling the bike, change forum, grow up and whatnot.
The biggest problem I face is that the bike is in Mexico and I'm at home.
I'll take this advice with me to Mexico and the local mechanic in Puebla.
What can I do without losing the ABS?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #53
Korruptio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Without losing ABS you can easily only get more aggressive brake pads, change master cylinder or replace all hoses to stainless steel. You can pretty much put any master cylinder there as long as it is correct size for the handlebar and you can somehow fix the brake light switch into it. I have absolutely no idea how sensitive ABS is going to be after that if you go for bigger master cylinder in front, I personally think ABS is quite sensitive already. Though I like to have ABS in front, it has saved my ass many times because I can just ignore the modulation and hit it hard when needed and concentrate on steering. Rear ABS has been disabled long time ago already by strategically placed bolt and putting straight hose from rear master cylinder to rear brake cylinder which has made rear brake usable without lighting up strange lights in the dashboard.

KTM 9x0 Adventures have been clearly marketed as dual sports which in my understanding means that bikes should perform and not just manage both on and off road. Original front brake in 990 ABS barely manages, there's no doubt. It is not BAD brake because you can get the bike stopped with it especially when you change pads and put stainless steel hoses but it still lacks the feeling and bite.
Korruptio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #54
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korruptio View Post
[...] Rear ABS has been disabled long time ago already by strategically placed bolt and putting straight hose from rear master cylinder to rear brake cylinder which has made rear brake usable [...]
Interested in this. Did you just plugged the rear ports on the ABS unit and ran straight hose from master to caliper?
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #55
Korruptio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenDesb View Post
Interested in this. Did you just plugged the rear ports on the ABS unit and ran straight hose from master to caliper?
Yes, take correct sized bolts (not too long) and washers (just like those what you use in normal brake line connections) and plug the rear in and out ports in ABS unit and connect straight hose from rear master cylinder to rear caliper. Leave all sensors and cables in place and you wont get any warning lights or other complaints. This disables only rear ABS permanently, front ABS works normally and it can be disabled temporarily from the button in dash if needed. Poor man solution is to use same bolts which were used to connect brake hoses to ABS unit before, just add some washers or something to make it fit tight so bolts wont drop away.

Only reason why you need to plug the holes in ABS unit is to keep dirt and dust out of it. Though I dont know will the unit work anyway for the rear ABS part if I'd try to reactivate it because its has been plugged for years...
Korruptio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #56
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
a lot to those of you who are not bitten by brand fanaticism and have taken time to answer my question instead of giving me ideas about selling the bike, change forum, grow up and whatnot.
The biggest problem I face is that the bike is in Mexico and I'm at home.
I'll take this advice with me to Mexico and the local mechanic in Puebla.
What can I do without losing the ABS?
It might sound (and look) a bit silly, but I think it will work. Replace the brake disc from the non abs ring side with a good 320 disc and a caliper spacer.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #57
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Masturbate more. Or other less enjoyable hand-strengthening exercises.

Squeeze harder.

KTM pretty much designs their brakes for the particular bike and it's intended use. KTM 950 SM brakes have so much initial bite that it's scary till you get used to it. SE and Adventure brakes are plenty powerful enough if you squeeze tightly.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #58
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Question

I was wondering where my saw blades went....
Old 10-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #59
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
I think it is interesting that a sizeable group of 990/950 Adventure owners remove one of their front disc/calipers for less braking (and weight), another group wants stronger brakes and a bunch in the middle seem OK with what KTM installed. I have no point other than to note the obvious OEM compromise made for a bike which sees such a wide variety of use.

FWIW
Old 10-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #60
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
My $.02:

I've owned a 04 950 Adventure. Brakes for that bike are "decent".
I own a 990 SMT with radial Brembos and radial master cylinder, wow best ever!

So I am now looking to get another 950 for adventure touring & occasional dirt exploration. I was looking for radial caliper adapters, but they seem to be fairly scarce and some places that made them no longer due (thank you lawyers!).

When I had my Aprilia Tuono with radial brembo calipers and a standard master I noticed that there was a world of difference between the braking on my Tuono and my SMT with largely the same calipers.

What this pointed to was the master cylinders... radial vs. standard.

So my plan is to source a radial master for the adventure that should go a long way towards a more street biased braking experience. ie stronger braking action and since the calipers are not radial still be manageable enough in the dirt as well.
wsmc99 is offline   Reply With Quote