User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #31
buzybraza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
No Toil alcohol

What no toil are we talking about? The old one had alcohol, the new formulation (green in color) doesn't. Are both bad for the ITG or only the old formula with alcohol?

Does anyone knows if the cleaners are the same?
buzybraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #32
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzybraza View Post
What no toil are we talking about? The old one had alcohol, the new formulation (green in color) doesn't. Are both bad for the ITG or only the old formula with alcohol?

Does anyone knows if the cleaners are the same?
The green looks compatible with this filter.
"Evolution Air Filter Oil

Evolution Air filter oil has all the great dirt stopping tackiness and high air flow characteristics as the original No-Toil Filter Oil, but without the alcohol. Evolution is compatible with any brand air filter and, without the alcohol solvent, the foam element will last longer and glue seams won't delaminate. Evolution is compatible with the original No-Toil Filter Cleaner and cleans amazingly easy and quick and will shock your senses with how clean it will get your dirty filter. For the oil to tack up, it may take as much at five or more hours. We recommend letting it set out overnite before use."

I'll be trying it on my other 990 filter system and filter sock.

Max
Old 10-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #33
buzybraza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Thanks for the info on the "new green" no toil!

I posted this on another thread, but here it goes again... It may be useful for someone trying to jet a 950 without an airbox...

Here's my setup for reference:

2008 950SE runs perfect at sea level with my aluminum plate and itg jc30/65s sausage style air filter, slightly butchered carb intake bells and the following carb settings:
stock pilot jets (42)
stock air jets (50)
floats at 4mm
175 mains
factory pro needles with clip at 2nd position from top
2 turns out on fuel screws

I rode to big bear (7000 feet elevation) and had to turn fuel screws in 1 turn..... (Easy with the extensions)

I checked spark plugs after about 1000 to 1500 miles of running with the above setup and they looked brand new. So I think if anything, I may be running on the lean side. I can probably go up to 178 or 180 main jets. But the thing is I will possibly be too rich if I climb to 10000 feet or so... I am going to leave it alone. I get 36 mpg avg.
buzybraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 971
OK you have the best deal on the 990/950 intake filter systems,
do you have plans for a 1190 R system.

I'll need one in the spring, GO!!!!!!!

Max
Old 10-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #35
renogeorge OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Rode the bike again today with stock map to get one more base line before my first remap. I can't believe how much smoother it responds at lower throttle openings. A little lean on top--6k RPM. Hoping the remap will take care of that.

2007 990 Adventure
Old 10-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #36
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
+1 The Notoil works for the Non Glued foam, but its not recommended for a couple of the dirt filters either.. I use Dish Soap / Dawn and a bucket of warm water.. Make sure not to use any type with anti bacterial agents,, its bad for plastics.

The outer skins make a HUGE difference, you can use a couple and just peel off like tear-offs. More than 2 though seems to choke things a bit..

Cheers
Dave
What outer skins are you using
Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #37
renogeorge OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank you Sporting Wood!!!

After some distractions, I finally got to the re mapping. Took all of about 1/2 hour to connect up to the ECU and download the new map, then the 15 minute idle. Yahoo!!!! This is a different bike. Went for a quick blast up to Lake Tahoe--pulls hard and strong right to the limit. Tried easy roll ons looking for hesitation--none there! Did a short jeep road dirt section--I can control the throttle on this beast now!

Best mod ever.....and I've tried more than a few.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #38
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Chop View Post
What outer skins are you using
We use the ones from K&N / Speedmart on our Midget. they sell a bunch of them for various dirt track race cars powered by Bike engines up through V8's with HIllborn..

Cheers.

Dave
Old 10-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #39
renogeorge OP
Studly Adventurer

I am still evaluating the need for a pre filter. Might be good to have one on hand for real dusty rides. I am thinking that I'll go without one most of the time. Easy enough to pull filter and check for signs of dust getting past the filter.

I have used No Toil (the old orange colored formula) for many years with good results on my dirt bikes. I clean them in laundry soap/Oxy clean. Some of my dirt bikle filters must have been cleaned 15-20 times this way with no signs of damage. These are Twin Airs.

I also use the "goretex" PC water resistant filter skins if I know I will be riding in a lot of wet conditions. These also might be good to have for the 990 foam filter Don't know if they are available.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #40
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 825
I have more of these coming.

These are actually another layer of bonded dual density foam as in the itg filter. Effectively, one of these doubles filtration capacity.

Coming soon, I will have an over-sock in plain old cheap coarse foam too, along with some more goodies.

I've never liked filter skins as they clog up so quickly. I did a bit of research and found a local supplier of the proper streachy filtering fabric...and had a few beers with their really cute sales rep... They'd be simple to make and sell but I really don't want to put out stuff that I wouldn't use myself.

I've been on the hunt for a coarse fabric that doesn't clog but haven't had any luck. Those gore-tex type are good but they inevitably get oil on them, particulates stick and invade the little Teflon passageways and they clog up. Too expensive IMHO for something that cannot be cleaned when it gets oily.

The best solution is sock filters. Just as easy to take off and clean as a skin and although its not so practical to carry a spare, it won't be necessary to swap nearly as often. I've got some ultra concentrated cleaner I'm testing now. Results are good. For guys touring or doing a lot of dust, they can carry a tiny bottle of this stuff and use it to make a gallon of water based cleaner that'll clean the foam as good or better than anything I've ever used.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote