Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #76
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyston View Post
if the meeting place is the eltham Scottish restaurant...what are there coffee's like??...warm diluted brown cows milk?
Fairly good chance of that.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #77
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,474
Quote:
if the meeting place is the eltham Scottish restaurant...what are there coffee's like??...warm diluted brown cows milk?
They have a McCafe....
But coffee is a diuretic ... do you feel like 'pumping out' alonside the road as 29 other DR's roar past, covering you and your manhood in dust?
Me, I have hot milk before a ride.... just sayin'!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #78
Philmeup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Great ride today, really enjoyed myself. Thanks Steve for taking control you did a good job.
Thanks Brody for taking me to get fuel (doh), hope you didn't get lost out the back of Smiths Gully.
Cheers Phil
Philmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #79
fnatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Nice riding with awesome weather and great people. Thanks to Steve and Ian for being so organized. Bigger dirt section next time I reckon would be awesome.

Me thinks a few more Melbourne rides should be on the cards. I will post whenever im planning on heading out for a ride and anyone is welcome to come along.

On a side note im going to start an Official Victorian Dirt roads thread to collaborate all the good unsealed rides with a sort grading scale to give people idea of how technical each rd or section is in VIC e.t.c. If you've done a bit of riding around VIC be great if you could add your $.02 and info to it so we can try and get a good database going with some good info. (will start it shortly)

Cheers
Jared
Old 10-13-2013, 02:48 AM   #80
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmeup View Post
Great ride today, really enjoyed myself. Thanks Steve for taking control you did a good job.
Thanks Brody for taking me to get fuel (doh), hope you didn't get lost out the back of Smiths Gully.
Cheers Phil
Well there's the most appropriate nick I've ever seen!

This is the bloke who discovered he'd forgotten to "Phillmeup" at the furthest distance from a known servo...
Luckily, there's a top-secret Somali pirate filling station in Kinglake: grubby urchins with grubby plastic bottles, filled up from a rusty bowser in a chook-shed, hidden behind a rickety fence...

Glad you had a good time - it was great to meet you - look forward to many more!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:39 AM   #81
Philmeup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Well there's the most appropriate nick I've ever seen!

This is the bloke who discovered he'd forgotten to "Phillmeup" at the furthest distance from a known servo...
Luckily, there's a top-secret Somali pirate filling station in Kinglake: grubby urchins with grubby plastic bottles, filled up from a rusty bowser in a chook-shed, hidden behind a rickety fence...

Glad you had a good time - it was great to meet you - look forward to many more!
Hahaha
We weren't that far from civilization, but that servo seemed like it had been transported from the middle of nowhere.
Philmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #82
paynebrody OP
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmeup View Post
Cheers Phil
No worries Phil any time mate! And I didn't get lost, I actually (inadvertently) backtracked half the mornings ride! Plus a few rougher bits and pieces...

Nice to meet you guys, and yea lets keep this group ticking over (and I agree some more steep stuff is in order next time )

Brody
Old 10-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #83
Camel 640
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Wink

Thanks Steve for organising a good meet and greet great bunch of people . Good choice of roads to get to know how everyone rides .would like to know where to buy the sacrificial goat ? Great weather . Would be interested any any future rides Cheers Chris .
Camel 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #84
Brocksamoyed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Thumb Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnatic View Post
Nice riding with awesome weather and great people. Thanks to Steve and Ian for being so organized. Bigger dirt section next time I reckon would be awesome.

Me thinks a few more Melbourne rides should be on the cards. I will post whenever im planning on heading out for a ride and anyone is welcome to come along.

On a side note im going to start an Official Victorian Dirt roads thread to collaborate all the good unsealed rides with a sort grading scale to give people idea of how technical each rd or section is in VIC e.t.c. If you've done a bit of riding around VIC be great if you could add your $.02 and info to it so we can try and get a good database going with some good info. (will start it shortly)

Cheers
Jared

Will add my 2 cents when up. Great idea!

2012 Triumph Explorer
2010 XTZ660 Tenere
1996 XR250 & 1994 XL185 (gone)
Brocksamoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #85
Moyston
oh oo too fast!

Oddometer: 234
Has anyone seen this before , im just referring to vic..you can search all over the place, but having a play and shows diff regions and pics and then go further into it.When you take the time can show some places, and then go onto that and tells you were it is, then look that up etc..
some pics irrelevant but highlights some interesting to places to visit.

http://geoview.info/

I found this one and gives a few what appear to be decent tracks

http://au.geoview.info/trig_track_1,153342399w

Moyston screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 01:56 AM
Moyston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #86
wayno 998
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
That looks good Moyston, looking at pictures like that makes ya want to get ya gear on and go . Anyone keen for a ride this weekend ? ..
wayno 998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:45 AM   #87
sea-bass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
hey wayno, a mate and I are heading to the grampians, leaving daylesford at roughly 9am sat and camping the north grampians. both on 660 tenere's with nobbies. if anyones keen, you are welcome to join us
sea-bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #88
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Has anyone seen this before , im just referring to vic..you can search all over the place, but having a play and shows diff regions and pics and then go further into it.When you take the time can show some places, and then go onto that and tells you were it is, then look that up etc..
some pics irrelevant but highlights some interesting to places to visit.

http://geoview.info/

I found this one and gives a few what appear to be decent tracks

http://au.geoview.info/trig_track_1,153342399w

Pictures don't do this track justice, actually a bit daunting to see in the flesh. The switchbacks are super tight - apparently years ago the track went straight up with no switchbacks !
Plenty of challenging tracks in the area steeper than this one too.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #89
wayno 998
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Thanks for the offer sea-bass but i wasn't planning on camping this weekend . Have a good one . cheers ..
wayno 998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #90
Zibou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Good day Melbourne!

stupid questions:

1. Where do you inflate your tires.
All my life I've been using gas stations to inflate my tires but since I arrived in Australia, I've gone through several bad surprises.
Air stations here are really made for cars and dodgy drivers, the valve will hardly fit the bike and the air flow control that is supposed to stop at 32 PSI will hardly inflate my tires up to 2 bar (after checking with personal gauge) when I like to have 2.5 bar in the rear...

So how are you doing? regular gas station? personal air compressor in your garage? special moto spots?

Any insights appreciated but preferable somewhere between Brighton and Clayton...

2. Where to buy tires
I do have found a nice motorcycle shop in Clayton where I am quite willing to put my order for my next tires... but I have always been a cheap bastard as far as tires are concerned, meaning I always try to get the best price possible. I looking at Michelin pilot road 3 or something similar, any ideas? Where do YOU buy your tires?