Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Slabbed it to Bishop and checked in at the Tree Motel on Line street. Great little family run motel with comfy beds and fast internet....

Woke up late and shipped a 7lb box of crap home - then decided to head up White Mountain via Silver Canyon road....

Silver Canyon is a 4x4 track that goes up straight to 11500 to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.

A couple creek crossings, and a pretty twinkling dirt road...

At this point - I switch my point and shoot to "Elegant" mode - so now my photos are more elegant.

Going up to 11,000

Looking back...

The top of Silver Canyon...

One of the Ancient Bristlecones...

Heading back down...

I hear and a feel a loud clunk/bang. The bike has lost power, but is still on....

I stop to find this...

Hit a rock hard enough to destroy my chain guide/guard and knock the chain off...

I take my leatherman and saw the plastic off enough to slip the chain out.

Feel off of this part of the swing arm...

Put chain back on, tighten to spec and head down the hill....

I had a late start and wasn't feeling like riding so at a cross road I call the Trees to see if they have a room. She says no - so I start looking for Fish Slough road to head back to the hot springs I stayed at last week...

Is this Fish Slough?

Dunno - but it looks great....

I head down and it gets deeper and skinnier - I feel like I'm on the wrong road. I try to turn around....

Whooops.

Easy enough to get out as I push along side the bike with throttle.

This road looks like it'll lead me to a paved road...

I start over looking for Fish Slough and find it...

Ride this to Chidago Canyon...

Enter the canyon...

Exit the Canyon and find Antelope Valley road again...

SR138 out to the tubs....

Camp for the night and soak at night and in the morning...

Ride out to Mammoth, fuel up and hit the Lookout View.

I don't stop to take pictures because I'm having such a good ride. FSR, fast, loose, fun, cambered turns....

I do take this though...

Picture 50 miles of this...

Rocky section of Mammoth to June lake....

June Lake road slab run to gas...

Hit the Mobil, eat some awesome Fish Tacos, and gas up heading to Bodie....

It's 4 pm and it's cold. I'm looking fro cottonwood canyon road but miss it so hightail it up to Bodie Rd...

Pavement ends 10 miles up and turns to this...

Sheep camp!

I enter Bodie, and you don't have to pay the $7 if you are just passing through. I do pass through - but snap a few pics...

Turn left at the parking area and head down to Geiger Grade and down Aurora Canyon into Bridgeport...

Pop into Bridgeport and at this point, I'm freezing my ass off. The winds are up and the temp is down. I need a motel room, but first I heard about Travertine Hot Springs - so I go check em out.

They are impressive, and I got the tubs all to myself!

I strip down, forget the towel and hop in...

Hightail it to the Silver Maple Motel, and I'm happy.

$75 gets you this King bed, high speed, hot hot shower and breakfast...

I'm cold, so tomorrow I head over to Ebbetts pass, but going to back way to Topaz via sweetwater rd. I'm looking for a way across tonight - there's a few FSR roads but I don't have the tracks yet...

Tomorrow - Ebbetts pass, then camping on the other side, and then probably slab it to Livermore, down Mines rd to the Licks Observatory, and maybe into Los Gatos to stay with my folks for a night or so....

Ciao for now....

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado

snohobo screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 12:24 AM
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
Easyrider Jay
n00b

Oddometer: 96
Excellent ride and pics.
Thanks.
Easyrider Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
psychohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Excellent ride report!

Covered many of those roads myself and enjoyed seeing it all again.

Thanks!!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
qvasic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I really enjoyed pics and story, thanks! Especially about closed roads, snow and broken chain guard. :)
qvasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
polishadam82
black sheep

Oddometer: 115
nice write up and badass pics !!!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Looks like the trip was a big success amigo!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
ThanatosF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Looks like a great ride! Those springs in the desert look so bizarre...like a transplanted luxury hotel hot tub, but without all the people! Nice job troubleshooting your electrical issue, I felt no sense of panic or intimidation within your writing,

How do you like the TKC 80 on the front? I've been thinking of trying one on my drzsm. Distanzias are nice, but just don't cut it where knobbies succeed.
ThanatosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #23
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

OK! Time to finish off the RR. I did this with my last report - got home and promptly moved on to the next project or adventure...

Let's backtrack a little. I was in the room debating which pass to go home.

I decided to meet up with pops in Livermore to ride Mt Hamilton rd home and stay with my folks for the night.

Get up and it's 27 degrees at 7am. FUCK. It's cold. I wait until 9AM to hit the road and Im wearing everything I got. I look like the Michelin Man.

Slab up to Sonora pass and jam up and over Sonora. Not too many photos because I was cold as fuck and really enjoying the ride...

Blast down into Sonora, remove all my layers and slab is HARD to Livermore. Passing the central valley on a single was BORING. Wind noise too loud, had to wear plugs and listen to the BS between my ears instead of music or Ira Glass.

Hit Mines rd. If you don't know it - it connects Livermore to San Jose via Mt Hamilton and the Licks Observatory. It's one hell of a twisty - and perhaps one of the better one lamer twisty for supermotos in the bay area.

Warning.

Meet up with Pops on his V-Strom at the Junction Cafe - and chill for a bit. I'm burnt. I'm sore, tired, and running on fumes. Riding slab all day on the SMC is hard work. Much easier to ride dirt going 40 than free way speeds on pavement. I also wasn't prepared for the mental challenge of being surrounded by cars again.

Pops and I don't ride much - mainly because my mom would KILL him if anything ever happened to us on a ride together. Other than riding dirt bikes when I was 16 - and 1 short ride when I was 20 - we haven't ridden together in over 10 years.

Here he is!

Here we are on the top of Mt Hamilton.

We romp back to Los Gatos and I get to strip my suit and mom has the hot tub and dinner waiting.

All in all - a great fun ride. Would have been nice to have a partner or two but when I'm used to traveling alone so no big deal. Thanks for following all.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #24
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider Jay View Post
Excellent ride and pics.
Thanks.
Thanks Bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychohawk View Post
Excellent ride report!

Covered many of those roads myself and enjoyed seeing it all again.

Thanks!!

Some epic riding for sure - thank you for checking in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qvasic View Post
I really enjoyed pics and story, thanks! Especially about closed roads, snow and broken chain guard. :)
All in all a successful trip - thanks for joining along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishadam82 View Post
nice write up and badass pics !!!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Looks like the trip was a big success amigo!
Dude - you helped a ton. Routes, roadside phone a friend help, motivation and inspiration to ride solo across deserted as hell places. You're my mentor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanatosF View Post
Looks like a great ride! Those springs in the desert look so bizarre...like a transplanted luxury hotel hot tub, but without all the people! Nice job troubleshooting your electrical issue, I felt no sense of panic or intimidation within your writing,

How do you like the TKC 80 on the front? I've been thinking of trying one on my drzsm. Distanzias are nice, but just don't cut it where knobbies succeed.
Do it - I couldn't tell I wasn't riding a SM road tire. Honestly - they are soft and grippy on the road and hook up great in the dirt.

Distanzias are good for hard pack and about 1,000 miles of that - at best. I've ridden a lot of tires on this bike and the TKC is going to be my go to dirt tire - especially since they come in 17s now.

The K60 is rocking good rear tire. A bit narrower than what I'm used to but this would be my zombie apocalypse tire combo of choice!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
roamtheglobe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Hey there,
Nice ride reports!
I rode from San Fran to the bottom of SA a year ago, and just did a week in DV. If you ever want to go for an adventure ride together let me know.
Cheers,
Bill
roamtheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote