Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,550
Advantages Zumo Vs Montana Vs 62S

can anyone give me a pro/con list for the above units please?
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,349
ZUMO = Expensive, No good track handling
Montana= Works in Portrait Mode ( like to see what ahead of me not whats to the side) Great track handling Good Screen size , AA's, Lithium and a good mount option with power from your scoot
62s = small screen, No robust power connector, would choose the 78s over the 62 just for the power connector.

The Montana is really the only choice IMO, as I ride Off-Road 95% of the Time.
But I am the Guy who hates the "3D" view on any GPS. I am an old Map kinda guy so I want the GPS to be my map. 2D view only for me. JMO

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,550
Thanks

rwanpf can you elaborate on the Zumo issue about track handling please.

I have read that the Montana can be a bit erratic/fragile. Is this a common experience?

I was wondering if the 78 screen being at the bottom of the unit is an issue when you are riding?

I was also thinking about a Rino 650 unit ( radio& gps) which seems to have a bigger screen and a touch screen.

Too many choices.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
jfink
Can't get there from here

Oddometer: 108
Yes rwanpf, please elaborate on 660 Track Handling. Is it different than the 665? I have a 665. I used it to route and ride every country in South, Central and North America, it handled tracks just fine. Is this something you know for a fact or simply something you read on Interwebs (cuz everyone knows everything is true on the interwebs) . Like you, I prefer the map view, not that crappy 3D stuff. And the 665 has an option to see the map view.

I have a 376c as well, and the detailed configuration is not available on the 665. There are some nice features on the 665 like ease of proximity and route selection, but, in general it seems it was designed more for the Harley crowd. However, with that said, I have never found things that I needed that I couldn't do with the 665. It is water proof (I know this for a fact), shock resistant (and I know this for a fact too), but it makes you jump through hoops for some long distance routing features.

The Montana doesn't do XM, so that excluded it for me. I realize that XM isn't for everybody and that XM doesn't work for anything in South America and only some of Central, but when I ride long distances in the US, I really enjoy my music and sometimes a ball game. It kept me engaged when I did a 19hr ride to Phoenix (1,222miles) last year.

What I have heard that I do like about the Montana is it has a lot more detail and configuration, but having never operated a Montana, I don't know this for a fact.

I like my 376c electrical interface. I have built sound and Powerlet electrical connections on the handlebars on all my bikes, so plugging and unplugging the 376c is simple and quick. I can go from bike to bike in seconds.

The 665 comes with a motorcycle interface which combines all the cables for the XM antenna, power, microphone and headset into one with a bunch of pig tails about 5' long. This is horseshit, because it requires a motorcycle adapter for every bike that is configured only for the Zumo 66x series, unless you are willing to cut into and rewire the harness, which is no mean feat. I have done this but it takes time and a steady hand with a soldering iron.

I am not sure what the Montana wiring interface looks like, but because there is no XM, adapter rewiring should not be near the problem of the 665. But then the 665 will be a lot more simple, if you don't use the XM antenna or the stereo and microphone jacks.

2014 KTM 500 Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Goldwing

The End of the World at the End of the World
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
rwanpf can you elaborate on the Zumo issue about track handling please.

I have read that the Montana can be a bit erratic/fragile. Is this a common experience?

I was wondering if the 78 screen being at the bottom of the unit is an issue when you are riding?

I was also thinking about a Rino 650 unit ( radio& gps) which seems to have a bigger screen and a touch screen.

Too many choices.
ZUMO is basically a Street unit, and can be a good choice if you only ride on about 10% of the roads which are paved on this Planet. The Zumo uses Routes and can convert a track to a Route but to me it just is not the same.

The Montana so far has held up fine for me, no issues that I have seen others having. It is a really nice GPS, and it can be used Vertically, GPS's Vertical ( Portait Mode)GOOD, Cell Phone pictures and movies shot Vertically BAD, Turn your damn Camera sideways people.

The Buttons on top of the 78 works out fine, definitely not an issue for most as your hold the unit, fingers behind and use your thumb for button functions.

What ever you end up with learn it, use all the time in your car, I have seen way to many people buy their GPS only to turn it on for a once a year ride and can't figure it out. So use it to learn it, not to find your way to your favorite store or Pub, but learn how the tracking works, etc.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,917
At the end of the day I've found I need BOTH a ZUMO and a Montana. Neither one is good for doing everything I need.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,126
The zumo's 66x will Import Tracks in two ways:
  1. Import from My Data…Trip Log, will import the track and convert it to a Route with the same path so high point count Tracks are better if you're going to use them as Routes -- just don't allow it to be recalculated when you are navigating it.
  2. Import from My Data….Off-road Tracks. This will place the Track(s) in the now visible Off-road Tracks app under Tools. You can transfer as many Tracks to your device as you want but you can only import up to 15 at a time.

The zumo 660 will accept Tracks with up to 600 Track Points - any longer and they will be truncated at the 600th point.

You can set the Tracks to Show-on-Map and select the Color you want for the Track.

If you need to Import more tracks, just delete the ones you don't need in the Off-road Track app and Import new ones from your My Data...

The only down side to the zumo66x is that the hardware is getting old. The display is on the dim side and the CPU is slow compared to newer units.

The Montana doesn't have some of the Routing features that the zumo's have but it will do your basic routing just fine.

There is also a new unit coming soon, the Monterra, it will do the same things that the Montana does and more...look for it in Oct-Nov. I'll have a review of it at our website when it ships -- see the link below.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
MplsMoto
Wheels

Oddometer: 129
Looks like Amazon has the Monterra :Monterra on Amazon Ships in 1 to 3 months!

I just read the spec on the Monterra, and I'm waiting for it. This is a game changer, finally a unit built on a platform (Android). You'll be able to pull apps from Google Play and directly load Goecaches. What a great unit. Hope it's durable.

MplsMoto screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 10:36 PM
MplsMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsMoto View Post
Looks like Amazon has the Monterra :Monterra on Amazon Ships in 1 to 3 months!
GPS City is saying October 22nd for delivery on the Monterra.

Quote:
I just read the spec on the Monterra, and I'm waiting for it. This is a game changer, finally a unit built on a platform (Android). You'll be able to pull apps from Google Play and directly load Goecaches. What a great unit. Hope it's durable.
While I would agree in principal, Garmin will definitely find a way to screw it up.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Maybe late Oct for the Monterra...and so far they've done a pretty good job with it. It sounds like some folks expectations have already been set so no real reason for further interest.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
More like 'It's come a long way...'
Yeah, meant to type, they've done a pretty good job on it...so far.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Will the Monterra replace the Montana? I would like to see Montana prices come down like the 60csx did when they introduced the 62.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Will the Monterra replace the Montana? I would like to see Montana prices come down like the 60csx did when they introduced the 62.
There will always be the "next" device on the market but I don't believe that the Monterra is a replacement for the Montana Series. I do think that the Monterra is a solid foundation to build a product line on though. I can see several paths that the Monterra could take as a high-end unit that would not necessarily take market from the Montana line.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
There will always be the "next" device on the market but I don't believe that the Monterra is a replacement for the Montana Series.
I also think the Montana will continue to sell well to those people who want a great gps above all else, and who want to save $300 or so.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #15
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

The zumo 660 will accept Tracks with up to 600 Track Points - any longer and they will be truncated at the 600th point.
Where are these numbers found? Do Garmin actually list them?

I have both a 550 and a 660. I have read where the 550 will accept 200 points and the next article will claim 250. I have read all sorts of numbers for the 660.

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote