Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911 View Post
Where are these numbers found? Do Garmin actually list them?

I have both a 550 and a 660. I have read where the 550 will accept 200 points and the next article will claim 250. I have read all sorts of numbers for the 660.
Garmin do not publish these numbers typically. They come from user testing. Which I and others have done a lot of. The numbers may be confusing because you may be seeing numbers for Via Points in a Route vs. Track points [in a Track].

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
redwing51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
difference between Montana 650 and Montana 600?

In your opinions- which is better for general on road/offroad? Montana 650 or Montana 600? I just want basic and reliable and waterproof navigation. I'm not big on bells and whistles. I don't need to hear it or talk to it or listen to music. Just navigation. GPS unit I have now shuts on and off causing numerous resets. Only happens while hooked up to external power so I'm assuming that it is in the connection at back of unit. Works fine on internal battery. I want something trhat will work for more than a year or two and then crap out.
redwing51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing51 View Post
In your opinions- which is better for general on road/offroad? Montana 650 or Montana 600? I just want basic and reliable and waterproof navigation. I'm not big on bells and whistles. I don't need to hear it or talk to it or listen to music. Just navigation. GPS unit I have now shuts on and off causing numerous resets. Only happens while hooked up to external power so I'm assuming that it is in the connection at back of unit. Works fine on internal battery. I want something trhat will work for more than a year or two and then crap out.
The Montana 600 and 650 are identical except the 650 has a camera.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #19
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,937
If you go the next step up to the 650T, it has half a gig more memory. With the ability for all of them to use an SD card, it is not clear to me if that extra memory is worth anything, but maybe it is?

I picked up my Montana just after Black Friday last year when EMS had 20% off coupons. I would keep my eye open for things like that coming up.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
If you go the next step up to the 650T, it has half a gig more memory. With the ability for all of them to use an SD card, it is not clear to me if that extra memory is worth anything, but maybe it is?

I picked up my Montana just after Black Friday last year when EMS had 20% off coupons. I would keep my eye open for things like that coming up.
That extra storage in the 650t is consumed by the US 100K Topo factory installed maps -- which of course you could remove. But, as you point out, µSD Cards are a lot cheaper that what Garmin is charging you for the extra memory if you remove the maps.

I usually say to folks who ask is if you don't need/want the camera then buy the 600 and purchase a 32GB µSD Card (and don't cheap-out on the this - you do get what you pay for).

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #21
Emoto
Sure, why not?

I have to say that I have really enjoyed having a forward facing camera mounted all the time. I made a shortcut to the camera so I can get to it quickly. Sometimes, you come across something that you'd like to grab a snapshot of, but don't want to stop and dig a camera out of the tank bag.

Example: blasting across VT 17 in the rain.

Or the Crown Point bridge.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #22
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I have to say that I have really enjoyed having a forward facing camera mounted all the time. I made a shortcut to the camera so I can get to it quickly. Sometimes, you come across something that you'd like to grab a snapshot of, but don't want to stop and dig a camera out of the tank bag.

Example: blasting across VT 17 in the rain.

Or the Crown Point bridge.

I agree. It's not a great camera, but for about $30 to $40 more, it's worth getting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #23
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
Can you take pictures from the 650 while it is mounted in the cradle?

My co-riders who have the 650 always seem to take the unit out of the cradle to take pictures.

This would be an attractive thing for me. I do miss getting pictures of places I would like because it is too hard to get the camera out sometimes. Especially in gnarly situations.

It's too late for me since I bought the 600 and plan to keep it a while.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post

My co-riders who have the 650 always seem to take the unit out of the cradle to take pictures.

This would be an attractive thing for me. I do miss getting pictures of places I would like because it is too hard to get the camera out sometimes. Especially in gnarly situations.

I've taken many photos with the Montana 650 but they are always a bit of a compromise. If you want a decent shot, the gps has to be tilted back so far that it's not easy to see the map screen.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #25
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:

Yes, you can. That is how I always do it. If I am going to walk around with a camera taking pics, I'll use the 12MP point-and-shoot camera that lives in my tank bag.

The pics above were taken with the Montana in the position shown below. Since then, I have picked up a Nav V which is centrally mounted above the instruments, and have sold the Zumo that shared the left handlebar with the Montana. I have moved the Montana farther to the left than it is in the picture below. Although I haven't tried it yet, I think it will no longer be picking up the edge of the windscreen.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

More Montana Camera Pics: Just to show that it's not a bad camera. All the pictures were taken while the gps/camera was on its mount. You can see the headlight cowl and brake tube on my bike in some of the pictures.

SWMBO.

Marking a water hazard.

My son on his G450X:

A trail under a local highway.

Refreshments.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 04:14 AM
Old 11-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #27
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,034
Quote:

Heck, my lens on my 650 is always covered in mud/dust and bug guts so it's pretty useless.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #28
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Today I found a local (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) pawn shop with two new 62S units at $160 each. Not a bad price.

Sent from my Monterra using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #29
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,294
ZUMO 550 Topo & Roads and Rec

I am sure Im not telling you all anything new, but I have some TOPO maps as well as one of my favorites Roads and Recreation. The ZUMO will display TOPO maps. You just have to turn off the others. I just wait until Im in North GA and want to explore. I then just turn off the road map and use R&R or TOPO. I also use the MP3 player when slabing.

That said I am looking for a good handheld GPS I can use on the boat and as a supplement to the ZUMO on the bike. Also want to play with some Geocaching one day. Thinking hard about the 62stc or a Montana. The biggest thing I like about the old GPS III+ and 60csx is that robust power cord. The Montana, Monterra, and 62stc leave a lot to be desired.
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #30
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan View Post
I am sure Im not telling you all anything new, but I have some TOPO maps as well as one of my favorites Roads and Recreation. The ZUMO will display TOPO maps. You just have to turn off the others. I just wait until Im in North GA and want to explore. I then just turn off the road map and use R&R or TOPO. I also use the MP3 player when slabing.

That said I am looking for a good handheld GPS I can use on the boat and as a supplement to the ZUMO on the bike. Also want to play with some Geocaching one day. Thinking hard about the 62stc or a Montana. The biggest thing I like about the old GPS III+ and 60csx is that robust power cord. The Montana, Monterra, and 62stc leave a lot to be desired.
If you use the AMPS mount for Montana, which is what most users seem to like best, the power cord for that is quite robust, unless I misunderstand your point.