Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Didn't notice anything on the screens. I'll have a closer look next time. There was the normal tiny silver shavings on the magnetic drain plugs. I didn't notice much else.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
Didn't notice anything on the screens. I'll have a closer look next time. There was the normal tiny silver shavings on the magnetic drain plugs. I didn't notice much else.
You sure that the contaminations couldn't of come from somewhere else? I.e you dropped a gouged copper washer in the oil...oil drain pan was clean etc.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm not 100% certain, but Lukas (whose shop I have been working in) told me that he just brought (what use to be) his salad bowl out to the garage to be used as an oil pan. I didn't notice anything in it beforehand.

I'm probably going to do another oil change very soon (in a week or so) to see what I find.

Other than that, I have downloaded the engine teardown/rebuild tutorial from the HOW to be prepared in a worst-case scenario. Not sure if I should tackle that one myself, but, if worse come to worse, I might.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm not 100% certain, but Lukas (whose shop I have been working in) told me that he just brought (what use to be) his salad bowl out to the garage to be used as an oil pan. I didn't notice anything in it beforehand.

I'm probably going to do another oil change very soon (in a week or so) to see what I find.

Other than that, I have downloaded the engine teardown/rebuild tutorial from the HOW to be prepared in a worst-case scenario. Not sure if I should tackle that one myself, but, if worse come to worse, I might.
I seem to remember one of Pyndon's big end shell bearings moved slightly out of alignment, but I think KTM modded to correct that. You would hear and feel the big end if it was on its way out.

Could simply be a bit of gasket material...I've not seen the 9*0 head gasket to verify.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,322
Yeah the oil pan/salad bowl should have been pretty clean, and I can't think of any copper/bronze sparkly stuff that could have made it's way in there in my shop, except from the engine.

So we tried listening for a rod knock, but didn't really hear anything coming from the bottom end. Slight ticking sound which could be the valves? Certainly a lot less noise than all my KTM single cylinder bikes...

Keeping my finders crossed for Rocky and Paula that the next oil change will be a clean one!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #21
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

We've stopped near Salzburg and I think I am going to do an oil change now to see what turns up. We've also just noticed a slight oil leak coming from the generator cover, so I am going to replace the gasket when I do the oil change.

I'm not sure what the big end shell bearing is, but I am fearing a problem like this. I have been experiencing some jerkiness (that I was told was a loose link in the chain) for a while, and the engine, at least to me, sounds a bit rattly (although, it's very difficult to tell). On top of that, Lukas noticed the copper bits in the oil when I did the oil change.

If it is this bearing problem, what exactly should I be noticing/experiencing (other than copper bits in the oil)? How much work is it to rectify this problem? Would it be worth to repair the engine or just buy a new (used) one?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #22
ADVill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
+1 for screens
Old 10-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,320
Quote:
Would it be worth to repair the engine or just buy a new (used) one?
Ebay has four 990s listed for between $1300 and $2100. Unfortunately, they are all Super Dukes, so the transmission ratios won't be the best for Adventure riding.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #24
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Going to try to find a place to do an oil change today. Will filter the oil and check the screens and post what I find.

Just trying to understand the problem if it's the bearing shell issue. The parts fische lists the bearing bushings as parts 2 and 4 in the diagram below. What exactly are their function, and what might have happened for them to be damaged? Or, might the issue be with the actual bearings on the connection rod and crankshaft?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #25
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,320
If it is a bearing, cross your fingers, and hope it is #8.

To change that, you need only to pull the right side cover.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #26
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,188
Quote:
Going to try to find a place to do an oil change today. Will filter the oil and check the screens and post what I find.

Just trying to understand the problem if it's the bearing shell issue. The parts fische lists the bearing bushings as parts 2 and 4 in the diagram below. What exactly are their function, and what might have happened for them to be damaged? Or, might the issue be with the actual bearings on the connection rod and crankshaft?
Bearing shells are listed

No 2 & 4 are your main bearings

No 21 are your big end bearings, you have two sets of them, one for each rod.

The bearings can pack a sad if foreign material gets in between the bearings and your crankshaft journal where they sit, this can cause gouging of the bearing being softer than the crank journal.

The bearings have a very slim layer of slipperier white metal and if this gets damaged it wears very faster.

Depending on the damage this can cause stamping and flattening of the bearing giving excess space between the bearing and crank journal and at 10.75:1 compression ratio you will hear this quite audibly if things are going wrong in there, there will also be a loss in oil pressure due to excess space.

It is hard to say without seeing inside but that is the basic lowdown on the bearing shells.

Fingers crossed it is not the prob as that is engine out and time to split the cases, best to getting her sorted.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #27
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,499
I've never heard about an LC8 big end bearing failure. They happen a lot on LC4's, but not on the LC8's.. This is one of the most pressurized part of the oil path, so IMO the cam bearings would fail before the big end. IMO if it doesn't knock and pulls fine (I don't think this is the cause of the jerkiness.. I mean if the bearings would fail to a level that the bike gets jerky, the cams/clutch/etc would be toasted by that time), then the copper stuff is coming from somewhere else.

So if I were you I wouldn't sweat it... You won't split the cases to see if the bearings are failing on a RTW. If the bearings are shot, you'll probably need a new engine anyway, so just ride it until it falls apart, or at least produces some more serious symptoms (hard knocking for example) :)

Also I'm sorry to hear that you guys were in Vienna (Wien) and I didn't know about it - it's quite close to the place where I live. Anyways, have a safe trip!:) Hope you visit the factory though, it's not too far from Salzburg:)
Old 10-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #28
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Did the oil change today in a shop just near Slazburg.

There were lots of small metallic bits in the oil. They looked more silver in colour than copper. I'll post some photos when I get a chance to upload them.

The mechanic says that the engine sounds normal. He's not really sure what they can be. He asked about how my gear shifting was. I told him that my shifting had been bad for a while. It seems a bunch better now that I got a new clutch master cylinder from Lukas.

We're in Salzburg until next Tuesday. I ordered a new rectifier/regulator and a new rear wheel rubber dampening block. The mechanic said that this could be the cause of the jerkiness. My (uneducated) guess is that the jerkiness has something to do with all the bits of metal in the oil. I'm going to stop for the winter in Portugal and spend some time taking the bike apart and maybe venture into the engine and transmission.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #29
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Did the oil change today in a shop just near Slazburg.

There were lots of small metallic bits in the oil. They looked more silver in colour than copper. I'll post some photos when I get a chance to upload them.

The mechanic says that the engine sounds normal. He's not really sure what they can be. He asked about how my gear shifting was. I told him that my shifting had been bad for a while. It seems a bunch better now that I got a new clutch master cylinder from Lukas.

We're in Salzburg until next Tuesday. I ordered a new rectifier/regulator and a new rear wheel rubber dampening block. The mechanic said that this could be the cause of the jerkiness. My (uneducated) guess is that the jerkiness has something to do with all the bits of metal in the oil. I'm going to stop for the winter in Portugal and spend some time taking the bike apart and maybe venture into the engine and transmission.
Have you checked the clutch assembly and basket?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #30
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Have you checked the clutch assembly and basket?
+1 especially the basket fingers.