User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Mexin’ & Sexin’: a 2up honeymoon thru Mexico

It's 2200 miles to Oaxaca, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of gum, it's dark...and we're wearing sunglasses.

The Backstory:

When you’re a kid, you tend to see your future life as a linear chain of predictable events. It’s only after you’ve spent years as an adult that you begin to appreciate how small choices can lead to big changes. For the two of us, this trip is the culmination of those choices.

We’ve been together for 3 years now, but “together” isn’t entirely accurate because we live in two different countries (Canada and the US) and are separated by 1500 miles of geography. Despite that obstacle, we’ve made it work and this ride report celebrates the next step to bringing us together permanently.

Who’s He?
Profiled here, he’s a left-handed, 50 year old Canadian. A former soldier, park ranger and competitive bodybuilder, he’s now entering his 4th decade of motorcycling.

Who’s She?
Born in Texas and raised in New Mexico, she’s a newly graduated nurse with a passion for travel and a fondness for snugglin’. Eight years younger than him, she’s just completed her MSF basic.

The Bike:
Acquired from Inmate AC Elite in 2012, she’s a 2006 Honda ST1300 who’s already been the star of a 2008 European Ride Report. For this trip, she has the following set-up:

Michelin Pilot Road 3 (front & rear)
90o valve stems from Motomummy
15A Powerlet socket
2A lighter socket
MCL Ramball clutch fluid cover

Other than that she’s fully stock, with about 45000 miles on the odometer

I’m gonna roll back the clock on this RR and start when the rubber hit the road: on the October run down from British Columbia to Arizona. Then there’s going to be some pre-Mexico posts leading up to the run for the border.

circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
timmie415
n00b poster but not rider

Oddometer: 88
Quality start! Can't wait to see how this ride shakes out...
timmie415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
CaspianTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
On the road

we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of gum, it's dark...and we're wearing sunglasses.

Keroac would be proud.
CaspianTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
EltonAvenue
Banned

Oddometer: 544
Cool2

Good luck guys & keep smilin'!........
EltonAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
First, huge congrats on the relationship! Wow, you kept it together across 1500 miles! There's probably a how-to book in that! Looking forward to the report. Always like to see a report from the seat of an ST! Roll on!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianTiger View Post
we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of gum, it's dark...and we're wearing sunglasses.

Keroac would be proud.
that would be Elwood Blues
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmie415 View Post
Quality start! Can't wait to see how this ride shakes out...
thanks Tim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianTiger View Post
Kerouac would be proud.
eakins nailed it down below

but I've always liked this line by Kerouac:

"What is that feeling when you're driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? - it's the too-huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EltonAvenue View Post
Good luck guys & keep smilin'!...
thanks Elton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54
First, huge congrats on the relationship! Wow, you kept it together across 1500 miles! There's probably a how-to book in that! Looking forward to the report. Always like to see a report from the seat of an ST! Roll on!
glad you'll be coming along :) We'll go into more detail on our courtship and evolution as the RR progresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
that would be Elwood Blues
our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now

Stage One: British Columbia to Arizona

October 21

It’s a grey day in Victoria BC and I’m waiting for the 10am ferry to The Evergreen State. I’m the only motorcycle in the line and that makes me one of the first on and first off.

The harbour is quiet and the Rainbow Warrior III is tied up at the opposite quay. I remember when Greenpeace was fledgling organization run by longhair volunteers. When did it become a Corporation with an annual budget of $336 million dollars?

(Victoria’s Harbour)

The ferry arrives and, as always, I’m impressed at the way the semis handle the tight turns as they disembark. I drive on, secure the bike and head up to the cafeteria for coffee and a sammich. The crossing is uneventful and 90 minutes later we are docking in Port Angeles. Once through customs, I stop to plug in my music and fire up the gps. I know the way well enough but I’m using this trip to familiarize myself with the unit that we’ll be using in Mexico. My past experience with satnav wasn’t a positive one, but that was almost 20 years ago. I’ve loaded in some waypoints and put in our route to AZ and I’m curious to see how helpful this doodad will be.

During my time fiddle-farting around, every motorhome & trailer that was aboard the ferry has now passed me, so I join the end of the conga line and begin working my way to the front of the line.

20 klicks later and I’m 3 cars away from an empty highway, but the one immediately before me is a cop who ends up not turning off Route 101 for another 40 flippin’ miles.

(don’t you have crimes to solve?)

After what feels like an eternity, the cop pulls off and I make up some lost time. Before too long I’m at the Kamilche Trading Post for a pee break and refuel. I took advantage of gas.org to locate the ethanol-free stations along the route and this is one of them.

After Kamilche, it’s a short run to I-5 which is my beeline south to Portland. My sweetheart is arriving at PDX tomorrow morning, where she’ll be joining me for the rest of the ride to Phoenix.

Since I’m already south of SeaTac, traffic is relatively light and I make good time to Kelso, WA where I’m spending the night. I opted for the Motel 6, which is where my honey & I stayed during our 2012 motorcycle trip through WA.

(no charge for the yappy dog in the adjoining room)

2up thru Mexico
Old 12-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
voyagerrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I am in, for future updates. Looking forward to them.

TMRA #30043
CMA #63099
IBA #31625

!996 Kawasaki Voyager ZG1200
1978 Yamaha XS650SE
voyagerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
Old 12-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Subscribed

MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now

- the new Oldsmobiles are in early this year -
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
I think the site you used to find ethanol-free gas was
www.pure-gas.org

Looks like a keeper! Thanks for the tip!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerrider View Post
I am in, for future updates. Looking forward to them.
thanks Voyagerrider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi + MrGoldfish
&
welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
- the new Oldsmobiles are in early this year -
*lol* such a classic movie - thanks for the youtube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54
I think the site you used to find ethanol-free gas was
www.pure-gas.org Looks like a keeper! Thanks for the tip!
yep, that's the site, sorry for the misprint earlier.

22 October

After a huge breakfast at the local Shari’s, I load up the bike and check out. In addition to my usual assortment of clothes & tools, I’m also carrying everything for Mexico plus my baby’s helmet & jacket. I wouldn’t say that the bike is overloaded, but it’s inching in that direction.

Here’s the load out:
Top box: tools; impact rig & raingear
Saddlebags: clothes & shaving kit; Mexico roadmaps, reference books & spare documents; air compressor & gopro kit
Tank bag: first aid kit; blackberry playbook; shitkit; glass cleaner & handtowel; state roadmaps & route directions
I have her jacket & helmet in a drybag, strapped across the pillion.

It’s a short jaunt to PDX and I get there with a half-hour to spare before her flight arrives. PDX has free parking for motorcycles – which in my opinion should be a standardized benchmark for determining how civilized a place is.

(free parking under cover = win)

She gets off the plane and we’re all smoochy-face. Then she pees, I pee and we go out to the bike to get on the road. I figure we’ll grab lunch after we get south of Portland and in the meantime, we’re Chatty McChattertons on the scala as I drive through Portland traffic. She hasn’t been on a motorcycle since June of 2012 – and that was her first time ever on one - but she settles in nicely. The ST is much more plush than the VFR750 we did our last road trip on and the stock seat padding gets no complaints from either of us.

Our roadhouse lunch stop can best be described as ‘brown’. The building is brown, the food is brown and the staff are all a little weathered as well. After finding out the hard way that the side dishes of coleslaw had soured, we decide to skip dessert and make tracks. We are headed to Klamath Falls for the night, via Oakridge and Route 58. It’s in Oakridge that I notice something odd with her visor...

(she swears she never noticed it)

We enjoy a coke & a smile and both think Oakridge is a pretty little town. She grew up in a small town and I’ve spent much of my working life in tiny places and neither of us are inclined to be cityfolk.

Next up is Willamette Pass, which gets us up over the last of the coastal ranges and into drier country. Other than the occasional semi, the road is empty and we make good time. I’m playing with the gps from time to time and decide that I prefer the display from the “highway” page. I can see this thing’s potential to be a driving distraction and wonder how many MVAs there have been because people were too busy watching their progress on the screen instead of through the windshield.

The turnoffs for Crater Lake come and go and I promise her another trip there. There’s snow on the rimroad and we have miles to make before dark.

For a town of only 20 thousand people, Klamath Falls is surprisingly spread out but we get to the Cimarron Inn and check in. Chanda’s anxious to get her helmet off as it feels like it’s been grinding the bridge of her nose off.

We unload the bike, stretch, snug and then snug some more. Supper is the house special at Elmer’s which gets us both fed and ready for bed

2up thru Mexico
Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,124
Looking forward to this one.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #15
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso