Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #166
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, nice to know people are reading and appreciating.

My little PB is the old Post Office bike and does not have the Hi-Lo range box. There have been maybe two or three instances on the trip where the low range could have been useful but with a little leg power thrown into the mix the fully laden PB has managed to conquer every hill encountered so far.
Honda Brought over A CT90 or was it a 110? without the Hi-Lo box in 82. It was a tough sell. I had one of them for a minute. Had to about give the thing away to sell it. Funny though as not many folks I know ever use the Low range. Ever. In fact over half of the CT90/110's I service are stuck in hi range. Original owners often say " I've never even used the low range "
Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #167
rahza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
transformer

Quote:
Hi Rahza, glad to see someone from Malaysia is following along. I have a bit of a dilemma, I have to be in Chiang Mai by December 14, my wife is flying over for her Christmas holiday. It's a bit over 1800km from Georgetown to CM so I have two options.
1. Make a beeline for CM to get there in time and then return to Malaysia later in 2014
2. Leave the bike in Malaysia, take a bus or train to CM and return after the holiday to collect the bike and then continue.

Right now I'm leaning heavily in favour of option 1 as it gives me the bike to zip around CM with and I want to attend the HU meeting there on January 14, it wouldn't be right to not have PB there for that. Also I haven't really seen the northern part of Sumatra and I'd like to come back here when the weather is better.

I've seen some of the heavily modified Honda Cub bikes here in Indonesia and am toying with getting PB slightly or heavily modified before sending it back to Oz at the end of the trip and maybe Malaysia is the best place to do that.

Hope to make contact with the Honda Classic Community in Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam after the great experience I've had with the community in Indonesia.

I still have a long way to go before this trip is over.
hi dt,
i must say the report is a bit different from others. this is a really long ride with small bike.
i am just a local rider. havent been on long ride but i wish i could.
i lived in lumut perak near pulau pangkor(pangkor island). maybe you will plan this way. i will try to contact the local c70 club in malaysia. not to worry most of them have not seen a postie. i also have a 1989 c70 that still running to work. well it seem that you have to move on with your postie. you can transport the bike using lorry or train when you are in thailand if the time is short for the HU meeting in CM. i think you will make in time.
safe travel. cheers mate
rahza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #168
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
PB in Malaysia

Seems there were rough seas between Sumatra and Malaysia which delayed the ship by several hours. Rather than put pressure on myself and the shipping agent it was decided to leave the collection of the bike until the next day. This sort of worked for me anyway as it meant I now had my passport free to organise my Thailand visa.

This is the office building of the shipping agent.

photo R_SHIPPINGOFFICE.jpg

Very nice people to deal with, although Mr Lim did laugh when he first saw PB which I thought was a bit unkind.

I'm staying at Cocoa Mews Guesthouse in the old part of Georgetown, it's only 3 minutes walk from the shipping company office so very handy and also great staff who can help with organising the Thailand visa.

Ferry ride to the mainland where the customs office and port is located.

photo R_PENANGFERRY.jpg

Customs were a breeze, Mr Lim took complete control of getting the carnet signed and stamped and we were in and out of the office in under an hour then off to the warehouse at the port where PB has been caged in for security.

photo R_CAGED.jpg

And here's the Odometer for the start of the next phase.

photo R_ODOMALAYSIA.jpg

Distance since the beginning of the trip - 8,885 km.

Early start tomorrow and the push to Chiang Mai.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #169
blek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Very nice people to deal with, although Mr Lim did laugh when he first saw PB which I thought was a bit unkind.
An angry Classic Honda Club member from Sumatra is scarrier than Hells Angels.

Call them. >:)
blek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #170
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Great report! I just finished reading through (it took days a few pages at a time). Great photos. I'd love to have an adventure through those parts someday. It's cool that you rode a small bike and took the time to see the sights, meet people and enjoy local cuisine. That's what it's all about!
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #171
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Into Siam

The run out of Penang and north through Malaysia is a breeze, great highway with dedicated small bike lane, even on the toll road which is free for bikes.
I purchased Thai insurance for the bike and myself about 10km before the border, 50RM for 3 months cover.
Malaysian border control was so efficient and fast that I managed to pass straight through without getting the carnet signed out; bugger!
Thai border control on the other hand was pretty awful; the fact that it happened to be a Malaysian holiday and half of the population was going to Thailand didn't help matters any. Ended up taking around 3 hours to get through the border and be on my way again.

You stand in this line to get to the first window to get the form that you need to get signed at the second window. Then you have to visit the immigration area to get your passport signed but first you have to visit the office to get the little slip of paper that you need to fill out for immigration.

photo R_WP_20131206_002.jpg

The road on the Thai side is still very good for the most part and still has the half width lane along the left side for smaller bikes but now it's shared with people using it as a cattle grazing strip, a lane for going against the flow of traffic and for parking trucks etc.
Lots of rain with some minor flooding in the area but not over the road as yet. Found a small establishment with cheap bungalows and stopped around mid afternoon for the night. Most places give out soap ans shampoo but here is different.

photo R_WP_20131206_003.jpg

Early start the next day with a firm resolve to make some serious distance.

I stopped for fuel here:-

photo R_WP_20131207_001.jpg

How could I not? And met some local bikers on custom classic small bikes, they told me about a big convention in Sawee

photo R_WP_20131207_002.jpg

Love the cruiser footrests on the front axle of this green bike.

photo R_P1110121.jpg

So I stopped in for a look and ended up staying the night, it was a good opportunity to break out the tent again. Pretty interesting scene and some nice,some interesting and some just awful bikes. I have to say that from what I've seen so far, had the Indonesian bikers I've met bought their bikes along they would have taken home plenty of the prizes.

Clubs represented

photo R_P1110128.jpg

photo R_P1110130.jpg

photo R_WP_20131207_006.jpg

photo R_WP_20131207_016.jpg

photo R_WP_20131207_018.jpg

photo R_WP_20131207_024.jpg

photo R_WP_20131207_026.jpg

photo R_WP_20131207_028.jpg

photo R_WP_20131207_029.jpg

Then I met Anton from Beijing on his tour of SE Asia on a Chinese built 200cc trailbike. I hope to catch up with him again in Chiang Mai.

photo R_P1110135.jpg
Old 12-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #172
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Contact

Up early to pack the tent and camping gear and determined to make some real headway to Chiang Mai today. It was going great although PB seems to be weeping and blowing a bit of oil now meaning I need to keep checking the level and topping up as required.
I had pretty full tanks from the early stop the previous day so just needed to make a quick stop at a 7/11 for some breakfast drinks.
The road was good and I was sticking to the small bike lane, I came a round a sweeping left handed bend and spotted a 4x4 wagon going slow in the left side vehicle lane. This is nothing unusual I've passed plenty of vehicles in similar situations, often it's because the drivers are talking on their mobile phones or reading something or for any of a myriad of reasons where they should have pulled over and stopped.
I slowed and then seeing the car just crawling along decided to pass on the left. I was about 2 metres from it and I saw the break light and left indicator come on as the car veered to the left and directly into my path. I pulled on as much breaking power as I could but knew I had no chance of stopping in time. It all seemed to be happening in slow motion and I had enough presence of mind to get the back wheel locked to induce a slide causing me to strike the back of the car side on rather than front wheel first.
I ended up on the ground behind the car and just lay there for several seconds checking out my body for serious injuries. The driver got out of the car with phone still in hand and still talking to someone and inspected the damage to his car.
At no stage was he concerned for my welfare and he seemed a bit disappointed when I told him I was OK. He finished his call and then called the police. He moved his car out off the road and into what turned out to be the driveway to his house so I picked PB up and moved it off the road.
About 30 minutes later a police officer not in uniform turned up and spoke to the driver while he looked at the damage to the car and the marks on the road. From the body language and hand gestures I could tell that the driver was being told it looked like he had pulled across in front of me and he then started to look concerned. Insurance assessors turned up and then a policeman in uniform. When the driver told this second officer his story he changed it to indicate that he was already in the left bike lane and that I'd ridden directly into him. I have to say that the officer didn't look too convinced.

Damage to PB was the limited to the handle bars being bent beyond repair and the plastic topbox broken. More police arrived and PB was loaded into the back of a small truck for transporting to the police station.

photo R_P1110137.jpg

photo R_P1110139.jpg

At the police station some bloke who turned out to be a Major in the army decided it was all my fault and decided to tell me that in Thailand it is an offence to run into the back of other vehicles. I asked him who he was representing, nobody. So what have you got to do with this? nothing. So how do you know the facts of the accident? The driver told me. Is the driver related to you? No. Are you paid to make a judgement here? No. OK please don't talk to me anymore, to his credit he backed off.
Then a couple of ladies came along. They were school teachers who had been called in to help translate.The ladies spoke to the insurance people, the police and the driver and then told me that from what they had been told the accident was my fault. I asked if they were interested in my version of the event and they said of course we are. To make it perfectly clear I got out my exercise book and pen and made a drawing of the road and the position of the car and PB just before the accident. The police officer watched while I did the drawing and indicated the way the car moved across my line of travel. I had taken some photo's at the scene and showed them the tyre marks in the right side of the bike lane and how the impact with the car had been on the extreme left side of the back. The ladies and the police had a chat and then I was told that my drawing and explanation had confirmed what the police thought and that they were now on my side.

photo R_P1110138.jpg

More meeting between the police the driver and the insurance resulted in the insurance agreeing to pay for the repairs to the car but they refused to pay for the bike. The police officer said not to worry that he would make sure my bike was repaired at no cost to me. One of the ladies told me I was to stay with her and her husband until the bike was repaired so it was then left to the police to sort it out.

photo R_WP_20131209_002.jpg

Next day around 1400 I got a phone call, the bike was fixed but a replacement topbox could not be found so it was glued back together and strapped on. I asked the police officer about the cost and he said not to worry about it, he would make sure that the driver paid the cost.

RDT953 screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 06:23 AM Reason: correction
RDT953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #173
babar69
Stay light as light

Oddometer: 28
accident

Well done ! In center Bangkok 10 years ago, I had the same pb and the drawing of the crime scene helped me a lot :)
Hope the glue will make the work !
The best
Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #174
blek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Where is the picture of you, hugging the police officer??????????????
blek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #175
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Protecting the innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blek View Post
Where is the picture of you, hugging the police officer??????????????
No such picture exists Blek, I'm sure the policeman wouldn't want that out there anyway.

After all the bad stories about corrupt police in Asia I've seen over the years I have to say that my dealings with police in Indonesia and Thailand have been very positive. Well except for that one provincial police officer in Sumatra who tried to get me to hand over some cash just to keep riding.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #176
Woosha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I've been following your posts for a while but I had to chime in here for two reasons.

Firstly, I'm stoked on your behalf you managed to get a fair trial with the police. They're pretty good about that sort of thing here, but SOP in Thailand is to blame the foreigner. After all, if you weren't in the country, the accident never would have happened.
Yes, that is the explanation usually given. So well done you.

The second is that green number with the cruiser pegs you posted a photo of. Ah yes, the Chaly. How I want one of those. Kinda rare in Malaysia though, but the though of myself (6"3 90kg white guy) weaving through Kuala Lumpur traffic on one of those bad boys would have to make up for it...

Happy travels mate
Old 12-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #177
haildamage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
glad to hear it went so smoothly with the accident. i have heard that they even try to blame the foreign passenger in thailand when a taxi is involved in an accident in some cases.

i hope your injuries are minor and heal fast!
haildamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #178
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And on to Chiang Mai

I'd lost a couple of days and now needed to get to Chiang Mai ASAP, I considered putting PB on a truck and taking a bus. I was in a hurry because I'd made arrangements to meet up with my wife who was flying in for her Christmas holiday and I still needed to find a suitable guesthouse.
PB was running OK but using a bit of oil and the rear tyre was rubbing on the mudguard on the bigger bumps. I tried as much as possible to stick to the smoother bits and checked the oil level every time I stopped for a break.
I did some big days on the bike, 600 km the first day followed by a 450 km day and then a nice easy 80 km day to get to Riders Corner in CM for breakfast.
PB was getting through 500ml of oil a day by the end and needed some work.

The rubbing of the back tyre turned out to be due to the swingarm being twisted, some hefty levering has it back in alignment.

I found a great little hotel where one of the workers has a nice classic Honda CB100, he introduced me to a great mechanic and I put PB in his care for 3 days. A new piston, rings and main bearing was installed along with nice wide bars on risers and PB is better than new. I also found a new "Coobox" top box complete with LED brake light.
No touring for the next three weeks so this will be the last posting for awhile.

PB is ready for the next phase and so am I.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #179
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
THREE WEEKS???????

Excellent! Enjoy your vacation with the Mrs.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #180
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good to go now though

Yep, enjoying the time off the bike and very pleased with the mechanical work, all up with the new bars, parts for the engine and labour it came to just over AU$100.
Now I have room on the bars for a GPS
Riders Corner have lots of GPS maps on SD Cards of otherwise uncharted roads in Northern Thailand and Laos. Looks like a new Montana will be ordered soon.