Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #196
blek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
And here I am, cannibalizing my Honda Win100's engine myself from scrapped parts lying around on nearby workshops I can find.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGHHHHHH

Maybe I should change my job to firefighter.
blek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #197
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
100kph and still more to come

Still having an issue with the air filter, the original airbox and oiled foam filter is just not letting enough air through so for the moment I'm using the little pod filter. Also having a problem finding a selection of sprockets to try out so now running a 16T on the front and the original 45T rear, this combination is giving brilliant acceleration and a top speed of 100kph. Comfortable cruising speed of 75kph but revving a bit too high for my liking at 80kph. Ideally I'd like to try various combinations of Front 14T, 15T, 16T and rear 42T, 39T and maybe even a 36T so the hunt continues.

The finished pipe is a work of art to my eye. I told him that I wanted it looking as close to original as he could manage and I reckon he's done pretty well.

photo R_WP_20140110_001.jpg

This should help to keep the temperatures under control.

photo R_WP_20140110_002.jpg

Had to replace the foot rest assembly so decided to fit some more macho looking pegs as well. Actually they're a bit too high so I'll ask him if he can lower them a bit. Also got him to extend the two side stands, the originals have the bike leaning over too much when it's loaded.

photo R_WP_20140111_002.jpg

Then off to Riders Corner for day 1 of the H.U. meet.

photo R_WP_20140110_005.jpg

photo R_WP_20140110_007.jpg
Old 01-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #198
afewsketchymoments
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Love the conversion!
Well done!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:18 AM   #199
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

All done

Spent a bit more time sorting out the tuning and sprocket sizes today and the final result is:
Front 15T Rear 42T
Carby is a 26mm Mikuni with a K&N High Flow pod filter to take care of the air and fuel. At just over 300 metres altitude I'm running a 115mm main jet and have an assortment of jets from Monkey Father just in case I get to higher altitudes. I'm told I need to run 95 octane fuel as much as possible and if the octane drops that I should ride slowly.

Went for a test run through the hills, with another Aussie (George) on his lovely looking Honda CB500X. George was kind enough to take lots of pics with his GoPro and also some nice video.

The bike is a different machine altogether now, I can be cruising at 70 to 80 KPH and with a twist of the throttle peel out and overtake slower moving vehicles. It will run strongly up to 90 and then progress up to and past 100 with enough road space.
In the hills it's just a treat to ride now and will accelerate up hills in second that would have seen me lugging away in first
with the old motor.

I don't know if George was pissing in my pocket but he maintains he couldn't stay with me in the tight twisties.

HOWEVER, the lifespan of this motor is an unknown factor and the fuel economy is going to suffer.

I'll start on longer rides tomorrow and will try to keep track of fuel usage for the first couple of thousand klm.

New macho foot pegs.

photo R_WP_20140111_002.jpg

Carving up some twisties.

photo R_GOPR0217.jpg
Old 01-13-2014, 06:16 AM   #200
haildamage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
Spent a bit more time sorting out the tuning and sprocket sizes today and the final result is:
Front 15T Rear 42T
Carby is a 26mm Mikuni with a K&N High Flow pod filter to take care of the air and fuel. At just over 300 metres altitude I'm running a 115mm main jet and have an assortment of jets from Monkey Father just in case I get to higher altitudes. I'm told I need to run 95 octane fuel as much as possible and if the octane drops that I should ride slowly.

Went for a test run through the hills, with another Aussie (George) on his lovely looking Honda CB500X. George was kind enough to take lots of pics with his GoPro and also some nice video.

The bike is a different machine altogether now, I can be cruising at 70 to 80 KPH and with a twist of the throttle peel out and overtake slower moving vehicles. It will run strongly up to 90 and then progress up to and past 100 with enough road space.
In the hills it's just a treat to ride now and will accelerate up hills in second that would have seen me lugging away in first
with the old motor.

I don't know if George was pissing in my pocket but he maintains he couldn't stay with me in the tight twisties.

HOWEVER, the lifespan of this motor is an unknown factor and the fuel economy is going to suffer.

I'll start on longer rides tomorrow and will try to keep track of fuel usage for the first couple of thousand klm.

New macho foot pegs.

Carving up some twisties.

haildamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 AM   #201
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by afewsketchymoments View Post
Loving the ride report.

I did a ride from Canada to Baja and back on a postie last year. Was a great deal of fun. Missing that bike a lot.

That is a pic of the setup in its first stages.
I do believe I read your RR, the surfboard looks familiar.
It's people like you and Nathan who are responsible for me being here now.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #202
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No Country For Old Posties

First off let me apologise to George the good bloke who took some vid and still shots of me and PB on the first outing with the new motor. I let it out of the bag that his CB500X was no match for the little Postie in the twisties. Sad to discover that he took it so badly that he immediately put his bike up for sale at some ridiculously low price and sold it the next day.

George reads this RR but he isn't registered on ADV so he can't respond.

OK back on the road and the first day of touring loaded with the new motor.
Bike feels much more competent with the extra power and also more comfortable with the foot pegs lowered a bit. I'm still running the motor in so I had every intention of just taking some nice sedate back roads and that's how it started out.
Took the 118 NW out of Chiang Mai until the 3005 to the 1252 heading WSW. My intention was to make for Phayao on a mix of highway, minor roads, back roads and a little bit of dirt and it sort of worked out that way. The red pen is sealed road and the green pen is mostly dirt with some concrete bits.

photo R_WP_20140115_014.jpg

Some brilliant roads and equally brilliant scenery which was spoiled a bit by a mix of fog and smoke.

Lots of traditional villages with some interesting architecture.

photo R_P1110145.jpg

Scenic spots are provided with small shelters to lunch out of the sun.

photo R_P1110146.jpg

View from the same spot.

photo R_P1110147.jpg

Cool road markers here.

photo R_P1110149.jpg

PB looking all grown up with electronics and map like a real Adventure Tour Bike.

photo R_P1110156.jpg

Rice paddies being readied for the next crop.

photo R_P1110157.jpg

The first of the dirt with the mountains I'm heading for in the background.

photo R_P1110158.jpg

Really enjoyed this part, nice smooth dirt and plenty of power to play with now.

photo R_P1110159.jpg

You can see the cutting for the road up ahead, still a very nice road with occasional washouts and ruts.

photo R_P1110161.jpg

Had this road pretty much to myself all day.

photo R_P1110162.jpg

Road gradually showed fewer signs of traffic with lots of leaf litter and getting narrower. Soon after this photo I came across a bunch of five policemen who waved me down and asked where I was going. I told them and they said there was no road from here to Phayao so I showed them my map and GPS route. They smiled, shrugged their shoulders and said OK, go on then.

photo R_P1110165.jpg

Not too much further on from the group of police I came to this junction. I can't read Thai but the arrow looks to me like it's directing traffic that way.

photo R_P1110167.jpg

With a nice scenic lookout.

photo R_P1110168.jpg

The arrow indicates this junction.

photo R_WP_20140115_017.jpg

The road to the right went down a very steep hill to a village so I went in the direction of the arrow even though it was not the route the GPS was showing. At the village I was directed down an even steeper and shitty hill on a two wheel track that soon turned into a single track. I decided that this didn't look good and decided to go back to the junction and continue on the route I had on the GPS. Getting back up those hills was where I really started to appreciate the power of this new motor and also having a real clutch.

photo R_P1110170.jpg

Back on route again and the track looks better than the one from the village.

photo R_P1110171.jpg

The track from the village seemed to be hugging the valley floor while this track was following a ridge with more great vistas.

photo R_P1110172.jpg

Then it started to deteriorate.

photo R_P1110173.jpg

These next few pics don't go anywhere near showing how steep and rutted this section was. It was wet red clay as slick as ape snot with fist sized rocks, deep ruts and gullies thrown into the mix. Sorry about the fuzzy images but the picture mode dial had slipped onto the wrong setting.

photo R_P1110174.jpg

photo R_P1110175.jpg

photo R_P1110176.jpg

Unknown to me at the time was that around the corner at the bottom of this hill was a village and the start of the road proper complete with lots of nice concrete sections. I'm bloody glad I didn't turn around and head back to the village to give the other track a go.

As I got to the village there was one of the locals standing beside the road with a huge grin on his face and he gave me two thumbs up and clapped.

I guess not too many bikes have been through there lately.

Got onto highway 1 and straight up to Phayao. Found a nice guesthouse right on the lake with secure parking for PB in the lobby. 500 baht a night with breakfast.

Guesthouse.

photo R_WP_20140115_006.jpg

Lake with a kid throwing rocks.

photo R_WP_20140115_008.jpg

Older ladies getting some early evening dance exercise, very nice.

photo R_WP_20140115_010.jpg

Very impressed with the motor, I can cruise easily at speeds up to 80kph but have been keeping it down to 70 on the highway. I'm happy to cruise at the same speeds as before but now if I need to overtake I can do it with confidence. Plus the sound of the lumpy cam and throaty exhaust is a delight on the ears.

Time to study the map and work on a new adventure for tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #203
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Great report, but I'm a bit confused......if you left Chang Mai heading WSW for
Phayao, is the map upside down, or am I missing something basic?

Dazed and Confused.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #204
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It was late

Yep make that NE and ESE. Top marks for spotting my deliberate mistake to test if people are paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
Great report, but I'm a bit confused......if you left Chang Mai heading WSW for
Phayao, is the map upside down, or am I missing something basic?

Dazed and Confused.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #205
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
A true dual propose bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykpimp View Post
Honda Brought over A CT90 or was it a 110? without the Hi-Lo box in 82. It was a tough sell. I had one of them for a minute. Had to about give the thing away to sell it. Funny though as not many folks I know ever use the Low range. Ever. In fact over half of the CT90/110's I service are stuck in hi range. Original owners often say " I've never even used the low range "
Digging up an old post in this interesting thread….

I started riding on a CT90 as a kid on the family farm in the mid '60s. It was the first model with the dual range transmission, as I recall. I used the same or later models on farms I worked on after I left school.

On the farm we used low ratio all the time. When the time came for road ride to a neighbouring farm, a dance at the local hall, or for some event in town it took just a second to flick it into high ratio.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #206
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
Not to mention better wheelies where to be had with the bike in low range!! I went from a minibike to a spanking new posty in 1972 It cost around $450.00 US. I use to hotwire it (Parents had the key ) and ride it to school when I was 12. Hid it in some apartment building across the street from the school. One of my not so proudest moment on the bike was me trying to ride the bike up the ramp into the back of my fathers pickup truck. I timed this perfectly to show off for a couple girls that were walking down the street. Imagine how impressed they were when the bike coughed (cold ) and died half way up the ramp with me falling over and catching the bike perfectly with my head!! Impressed indeed!!

Mind the spare igniter boxes for the clone swap please.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #207
afewsketchymoments
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Great to see you are taking the bike down some unknown roads.
The places my postie got stuck are my fondest memories from my trip.
Thanks for the pictures and writing.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #208
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
Yep make that NE and ESE. Top marks for spotting my deliberate mistake to test if people are paying attention.
Back in the day(you remember those years past), when I was into the I Ching, I think I recall
that the ancient Chinese cardinal compass points were reversed to ours.
That is, their North was our South. Therefore under the old ways you were most
likely correct.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #209
ArizonaSunsets
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
HU Meeting

Hey it was great meeting you at the HU meeting in Chiang Mai. I am enjoying following your thread now! Hope to bump into you again!
-Aaron
ArizonaSunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #210
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Transformed

This new motor has transformed the Postie,completely changing the character of the bike. I can really enjoy the mountains now with plenty of power to tackle the steepest of roads. The custom build exhaust is a bit on the noisy side though especially when the motor is under load but on the flat at around 70kph it has a lovely note.

After a quick ride along the lake shore to check out the dragons.

photo R_WP_20140116_003.jpg

I left Phayao on a very foggy morning and headed for Nan via the 1251 - 1120 - 3052 - 3020 and the 101. Not the most direct route but I had plenty of time up my sleeve and on the map this seemed to be a good choice, it was, more lovely twisty roads with bugger all traffic.

photo R_WP_20140116_004.jpg

The motor seemed under powered on the first of the long climbs and I thought I might have to change the main jet to a small size. One look at the air filter though and I had found the culprit, dust from the previous day's off road sections had clogged the oil soaked filter. I stopped at a scenic spot with a shelter and water tank to clean, dry and re-oil the filter.

photo R_WP_20140116_007.jpg

From this vantage point I could hear a bike with a loud pipe working it's way up the road and pretty soon another Farang on a Honda CRF250 pulls into the viewpoint. Turns out to be a Swiss bloke. (can't recall his name so I'll call him Stig) on his way from Chiang Mai to Nan. Stig was happy to stop and chat a bit and suggested riding together to Nan which suited me as we were heading for the same guesthouse. Stopped at some part of the ride for a look at this old lignite mine.

photo R_WP_20140116_005.jpg

Motor was running better now but I'd put too much oil in the filter so it was still having trouble at higher revs, nothing that couldn't wait until Nan though.

Checked in to the Nan Guesthouse and took s stroll to find some late lunch and found this and a clone.

photo R_WP_20140116_009.jpg

And this

photo R_WP_20140117_007.jpg

Turns out to be a big group of Thai riders on lots of fully blinged KTM, BMW and Honda big bikes on their way to Vietnam via Laos on a guided tour. The luggage on some of these bikes cost more than my Postie, new engine included.

Found them all the next day down at Vespresso and pulled in so they could admire a true adventure machine.

photo R_WP_20140117_017.jpg

Of course they were in awe and had to try it on for size.

photo R_WP_20140117_012.jpg

Did a nice little loop ride with Stig down to Mai Charim National park to round out the day. Filled up on calories at Tony's Place - Nan Riders Corner and met a heap of other bikers. I'm liking Northern Thailand and think I'll put off going to Laos for a bit, too many roads to explore here first.