User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #211
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,453
Did that bloke bust the suspension?

I've been out the back yard today, banging away with hammers and drifts, dismantling one of my CT90s, so that I can get a rolling chassis together and fit my FinBro.

Enjoying the report, as always, Robin.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #212
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Thanks for the feedback and contributions

I do enjoy putting the report together and I also like reading the comments from readers. Hope the build goes easy Big Fella, it's worth it.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #213
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

WARNING - DO NOT attempt the following routes on a standard Postie

By my standards it was a late start out of Nan but seeing as I hadn't set a destination it didn't really matter. The morning was well spent getting some route tips from experienced North Thailand riders and some GPS tuition from the Chiang Mai expert who just happened to be in town on his way back from Laos.
I headed up to Santisuk on the 1169 before dropping down a little to the 1257. On advice I detoured to the 1333 which later turned into the 1350 and this was the start of what was to become two absolutely brilliant days of riding and scenic magnificence.

photo R_P1110179.jpg

At this point I'm really missing my BMW F650GS but I'm still having a blast on the FinBro powered Postie.

photo R_P1110181.jpg

This is the turn off to the detour, a three lane bridge to service a one and a half lane road. I smell a kickback.

photo R_P1110182.jpg

Coming down the hill Ispotted this view of the road snaking away up the hill so turned around for a pic.

photo R_P1110186.jpg

Then I jumped over the culvert for a better look. The road kept climbing long after it disappears from view in this shot and the last couple of klm was all in 1st gear. My guess is that with the standard motor I would have been pushing the bike up hill for at least five klm. And this was far from being the steepest hill encountered in the past two days

photo R_P1110187.jpg

I traveled through lots of farming and some national park. These little huts are where they stack the corn for drying. In this area they've removed the kernels and bagged them, you can see the pile of cobs behind the hut.

photo R_P1110191.jpg

Workers are all over the roads as well as farming machinery and produce.

photo R_P1110192.jpg

Plenty of small villages in the area, I always slow right down going through these as they have suicidal dogs, chickens, old people and kids on bikes.

photo R_P1110193.jpg

This just goes on all day, fantastic roads and hardly any traffic. The problem is that it can't be taken for granted that around a blind corner you don't come face to face with a 4x4. This is on the 1081 heading towards Bo Klua.

photo R_P1110195.jpg

And this is near the top of Doiphukha. My GPS was reading 1671 metres altitude, no wonder the bike was gasping.

photo R_WP_20140118_005.jpg

After that it was all down hill and the motor got a well deserved rest while the brakes took a hammering.

photo R_P1110198.jpg

On advice from George of Honda CB500X fame I headed across to Pua aiming for the 1148, reputed to be on of if not the best road in Northern Thailand. And it lived up to it's reputation but as the day was getting on I was keen to find a resting spot for the night and neglected to take too many pics.

Found this resort.

photo R_P1110212.jpg

With these rooms.

photo R_P1110211.jpg

But opted to camp.

photo R_WP_20140118_009.jpg

With this view from the opening of my tent.

photo R_WP_20140118_008.jpg

120 baht a night with all the free tea and coffee you can drink plus breakfast thrown in, and you get to have your breakfast here.

photo R_P1110209.jpg

Life is good.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #214
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 248
Hello from Canada!

Love the RR - took me a few days of enjoyable reading to get caught up.
I was happy to find another postie adventure as it's been a while since following Nathan on his journey.
Your bike is very hard to find in Canada - I've been casually looking to find a nice condition CT90 or 110 for several years.
Similar situation regarding the C70, which I was happy to find last summer - she's hibernating in my garage right now.

For now I will ride along with your adventures while looking out the window at another dumping of snow and -16C.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:04 AM   #215
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Golden Triangle

Continued up the 1148 and crossed a bridge over a small shallow river where I saw people harvesting something from the river bed.

photo R_P1110213.jpg

Turns out it was a freshwater grass.

photo R_P1110215.jpg

Pulled in for fuel and found all these kids on pimped classic Hondas.

photo R_P1110218.jpg

photo R_P1110219.jpg

Whenever I've encountered groups like this in Indonesia they were very welcoming and curious about my bike, I can't say the same in Thailand. Thailand might be renowned as the Land of Smiles but for Biker Brotherhood they don't match the Indonesians from my experiences so far.

All too soon 1148 finished and I took a left to the 4010 which connected me to the 4029 which hugged the Laos border north to Chiang Khong. Took a small detour to Phu Chi Fa which at 1628M was another test for the little motor.

photo R_P1110223.jpg

Pink seems to be a very popular colour for homes and guesthouses, they don't exactly blend in with the landscape.

photo R_P1110221.jpg

Road surface is mostly good but does have some broken surface in places. All worth putting up with though for the views which unfortunately I can't capture in pics due to the haze.

photo R_P1110230.jpg

photo R_P1110238.jpg

Eventually came down from the mountains and followed the river looking for a lunch spot. Here the river is the border between Laos and Thailand. This was my lunchtime view while I feasted on fried chicken that beats hands down anything the fat bloke in the white suit produces and a really good papaya salad.

photo R_WP_20140119_003.jpg

Got into Chiang Khong mid afternoon and found a really nice guesthouse with lots of secure parking directly behind the police station. If you visit this city be wary of guesthouses along the river; there's a path along the river where the local youth like to party and it can get a bit noisy and possibly not the safest place to have your highly desirable bike parked overnight.

photo R_WP_20140119_005.jpg
Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #216
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Through the Golden Triangle

A nice quiet night and a great sleep at the resort. Did a bit of bike maintenance in the morning and then out the gate.

photo R_WP_20140120_001.jpg

Continued following the border north along the river and then swung towards the east to Chiang Saen.

photo R_WP_20140120_002.jpg

Lots of roadworks underway up here, the Golden Triangle is a bit of a tourist attraction so the infrastructure needs upgrading.

photo R_WP_20140120_004.jpg

Boats waiting for cargo at Chiang Saen.

photo R_WP_20140120_006.jpg

And improvements underway on both sides of the river.

photo R_WP_20140120_007.jpg

Just north of Chiang Saen.

photo R_WP_20140120_010.jpg

photo R_WP_20140120_009.jpg

Didn't bother with the boat ride, stopped just long enough to snap a couple of pics and then headed for Mae Sai, spotting this little rocket along the way.

photo R_WP_20140120_012.jpg

Then in a field I spotted this scare bear.

photo R_WP_20140120_015.jpg

Got into Mae Sai mid afternoon and started looking for a room and was surprised by the prices being demanded, why it's all so expensive is beyond me but I managed to find a lovely place down a side alley with good secure parking and clean rooms for 500 baht and settled on that.

Off to Doi Mae Salong the next morning along the 1149, noticed razor wire in parts. It's a great ride again with potentially great scenery on a clear day but the roads are still fun.

photo R_P1110244.jpg

photo R_P1110245.jpg

photo R_P1110246.jpg

Lots of checkpoints along the way as this road runs right on the border with Myanmar.

photo R_WP_20140121_003.jpg

photo R_WP_20140121_004.jpg

Doi Mae Salong is an interesting sort of place with an obvious Chinese influence, it's a town that's scattered across the mountain top servicing a thriving tea industry. Sorry but no pics as the air clarity just didn't make for for good shots. I stopped long enough for a coffee to warm my aching bones and headed for lower altitudes and Chiang Dao.

Stopped for a comfort stop along the way.

photo R_WP_20140121_012.jpg

Found a resort with camping and nice views.

photo R_WP_20140121_013.jpg

With a collection of old bikes in need of rescue.

photo R_WP_20140121_015.jpg

Very heavy dew overnight and it took ages in the morning to get the tent dry so I relaxed in the restaurant and admired the views.

photo R_WP_20140121_020.jpg

Then decided to head to Chiang Mai, the motor didn't sound right and I wanted to get it back to the maker for a check over.

photo R_P1110251.jpg

Got the bike cleaned up for the mechanic for a bargain 60 baht.

photo R_WP_20140123_005.jpg

And was informed the next day why the bike didn't sound right. When they were fitting the motor they were trying to satisfy my request to keep the appearance as stock as possible an use the original airbox and filter. To do that required fitting two spacers between the inlet manifold and the carburetor. In the end this didn't work due to it being too restrictive so I fitted the K&N pod filter. However the spacers were left in place and one of them split allowing air in resulting in a very lean fuel/air mixture. This is not a good thing with a high compression engine and resulted in this.

photo R_WP_20140126_013.jpg

Now the motor has been rebuilt by the suppliers and has had a new barrel, piston and cam chain fitted. The new piston is slightly larger but not as high a dome resulting in a lower compression ratio but increased capacity, now it's a 130cc.

I'll keep posting on here how it works out.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #217
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And Better Brakes

Decided that with all this go power I really needed improved braking and decided on getting a disc system fitted.

photo R_WP_20140130_004.jpg

photo R_WP_20140130_003.jpg

Much better braking now. They bloke who did it for me said he could put a kit together for shipping out if there's any interest.

Bought new tyres today and will get them fitted before moving on. I still have plenty of life in the old tyres but at 340 Baht a tyre I figured new rubber is cheap insurance.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #218
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,453
Yep. I'm interested. I've got a shipment of bits due to arrive for my CT-90 this week... wheel bearings, etc... and then I'll throw the FinBro in and see how it goes.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:13 AM   #219
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,784
Just read from start to current, love it, just enough words/pictures and plenty of useful information. My wife and I plan for 3mths early 2015 in SE Asia on a rebuilt modified xl500. After reading this and bigfella's rr I'm seriously considering Timor/Indonesia as well. Maybe I need to quit and take 6 mths
We really liked Laos and Vietnam It will be interesting to see how you go getting into Vietnam on a foreign bike.
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #220
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, do seriously consider Indonesia

Replied to you by email Big Fella.
Gavo, thanks for reading and if you can manage it I urge you to go to Indonesia and make sure you touch base with local bikers through the regional forum here on ADV before you go. Top part of the world with some of the friendliest biker brothers you're ever likely to meet. Great food too.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #221
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Test ride for new brake

With the bike back with engine repairs and new brakes I wanted to give it a test ride. George has a rented 125 Suzuki scooter so we took the bikes north along the 107 to visit a couple of dams and just enjoy a day out of the city.

Stopped at a funky looking cafe for a morning brew.

photo R_WP_20140202_001.jpg

Then on to the dam for a cruise around. Some promising looking camping areas here, but I think it might be a managers house and yard.

photo R_WP_20140202_002.jpg

An old bridge presented another photo opportunity.

photo R_WP_20140202_003.jpg

And the next rice crop has been planted out in the flooded paddies.

photo R_WP_20140202_005.jpg

Found this at a small interesting looking temple among the rice paddies.

photo R_WP_20140202_008.jpg

Did some off-road exploring and came across these riders on 250cc cruisers on a tour around the district. One of them had some bark missing from his arm aftera drop on one of the nastier sections.

photo R_WP_20140202_009.jpg

Small metal bridges for bikes and foot traffic across the many small rivers ensure access in the wet months.

photo R_WP_20140202_012.jpg

Engine is performing well, the brake is brilliant and the new tyres seem to do a pretty good job of keeping it all on the road. New tyres set me back about $23 for the pair.

photo temporary.jpg

Then the next day in Chiang Mai I spotted a play mate for PB

photo R_WP_20140204_001.jpg

Now for a bigger ride.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #222
mattmead
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey do u have anymore spec on the brake upgrade. What bike is it from. How is it mounted on to the hub? And so on. Would be keen on kit.

Super awesome threads makes me believe I can go on an adventure with my ct110.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
mattmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #223
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bits for brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmead View Post
Hey do u have anymore spec on the brake upgrade. What bike is it from. How is it mounted on to the hub? And so on. Would be keen on kit.

Super awesome threads makes me believe I can go on an adventure with my ct110.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Of course you can have an adventure on your CT110, plenty of others have traveled much further than I have on these little bikes and I'm sure others will keep at it.

The rim is original re-laced to the hub of a Honda Scoopy.
Brake lever and master cylinder by Brembo,
Caliper by Yamaha Mio,
Speedo cable and everything else by Honda Scoopy.

Speedo now reads slow so I have to figure out what to do about that. Probably ignore it.

Another bloke from the CT110 club on FB has also expressed an interest in a kit. The bloke who did mine is happy enought to put them together and send them but the postage could be a killer and unless you have the skills to lace the rim to the hub yourself then the cost of getting that done could blow the price way out. Might be cheaper to just get a new alloy rim laced on over here and have the whole lot sent over?
Also he didn't make a template of the brackets so I'd have to let him pull my front wheel assembly off again for that. I can do that if you're serious about it. PM me if you want more info.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #224
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 248
Found one - thanks for the kick in the pants!

After reading your RR I put a little more effort in my quest to find a good condition CT110.
They were only sold here until 1984 (1986 in the US I believe), so they're hard to find.
I wasn't making it any easier on myself, since I wanted an '82 to '84 for the electronic ignition and dual range transmision.

I drove 1140km's through a snow storm to get this little beauty.
11,500km's on the odometer, and she still has the original tyres.

Now I just have to wait until all the snow melts!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #225
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old Elephant Trail to Maehongson

I'd heard a bit about this trail over the mountains from, some of the regulars at Riders Corner and was keen to give it a go on PB. Then I got a call from Sture, AKA Stig asking if I was interested in going with him to explore some small roads over the mountains to Maehongson. We got together and agreed on a day and time and then within 24 hours changed both, agreeing to leave on Wednesday somewhere in the vicinity of 10 ish. I'd contacted the Big Fella who had completed the trip some weeks previous to enquire if he had perchance kept his GPS track log. There are roads leading off all over the place and I wanted to be sure I was heading in the right direction. the Big Fell came through and his tracks were loaded into my Montana. I'd set Stig up with the GPS Co-Pilot app on his iPhone so we were good to go.

We left approximately on time and then immediately got separated in traffic; Stig thought I was behind him and had stopped to wait, I turned right through a set of traffic lights and not seeing him waited for awhile and then called him. We agreed to meet further up the road away from the traffic.

So after a shaky start we had two bloody brilliant days of riding. I'll let the pics tell most of the story now.

The first of many stops for pics. Stig has a nice Nikon so some of the pics to follow will be his.

photo R_WP_20140205_002.jpg

Neither of us is particularly into temples but this one was perched way up on a mountain and with it being a particularly clear day we decided it was worth the detour.

photo R_WP_20140205_004.jpg

This fella is car park security.

photo R_WP_20140205_005.jpg

Umm, an attempt to build a wind generator. Big gearbox attached under but no generator.

photo R_WP_20140205_007.jpg

Great views up here.

photo R_WP_20140205_008.jpg

And a shiny new temple.

photo R_WP_20140205_011.jpg

photo R_WP_20140205_012.jpg

Even way out here they have these little bus shelters, probably only two buses a day and they make great shelters for taking a break in.

photo R_WP_20140205_016.jpg

Stig

photo R_DSC_0026.jpg

Bungalow at Mae Chaem, it was bloody freezing.

photo R_WP_20140205_017.jpg

Leaf roof, mine was full of holes but apparently they get renewed before each rainy season.

photo R_WP_20140206_002.jpg

But the roads made it all worthwhile

photo R_P1110254.jpg

And some pretty decent scenery.

photo R_P1110256.jpg

photo R_P1110258.jpg

Downtown Mae Chaem

photo R_WP_20140206_003.jpg

There are sections of concrete road in what must have been particularly troublesome areas, and th invariably have a nasty drop-off where they meet the dirt.

photo R_P1110259.jpg

Valley floor under crops.

photo R_WP_20140206_004.jpg

These little villages are usually spotlessly clean.

photo R_WP_20140206_005.jpg

Some more road detail. It's so hard to take a photo that accurately depicts the road condition.

photo R_P1110260.jpg

Then just as we're congratulating ourselves on our really big adventure ride, these humble folk come along to provide a bit of perspective. Our big adventure is their everyday reality.

photo R_WP_20140206_008.jpg

Stig on what I consider to be a brilliant choice of bike for northern Thailand.

photo R_WP_20140206_009.jpg

Lovely rock face just waiting for climbers.

photo R_P1110263.jpg

A good bit of sealed section with nice views.

photo R_P1110266.jpg

Another photo stop, it was really steep just behind me.

photo R_DSC_0046.jpg

Nice to have someone along who wants to take pics. Stig went up ahead and found a good bit of track to set up his shot.

photo R_DSC_0064.jpg

More crops.

photo R_DSC_0071.jpg

Smoko break, I had some muesli bars packed in the Coocase.

photo R_DSC_0074.jpg

While we were there these two came hurtling around the corner with their extral long barrel guns across the backs.

photo R_DSC_0076.jpg

Elephant trail signage.

photo R_WP_20140206_020.jpg

Stopped in a village to check the map and GPS and the teacher took the opportunity to give the kids a chance at some cultural exchange. She wanted them to practice English so we stayed for awhile and I did the introductions lesson bit and some counting of fingers. Gave her one of my stickers for the class and we were off again.

photo R_DSC_0089.jpg

I saw Stig in position and couldn't help myself.

photo R_DSC_0107.jpg

photo R_DSC_0109.jpg

Another Stig pic.

photo R_DSC_0117.jpg

And then Maehongson. Lovely little place.

photo R_WP_20140206_025.jpg