User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #121
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Photo sites

I'm rapidly approaching the bandwidth limit on my photobucket account. Can anyone clue me in to other photo sharing sites that work in a similar fashion. I've looked at flicker but can't figure out how to post pics here with it. Help!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #122
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
Took this shot in the morning. Camera is my Nokia Lumia 920. The photo appeals to me because it looks like a watercolour painting. Keep in mind that I'm viewing it on small screens.

Rinjani watercolour photo R_WATERCOLOUR.jpg

I bought the Lumia 920 on the strength of its navigation capabilities, it was the only smart phone I could find that could be used as a stand alone GPS navigator while being completely offline. I downloaded the maps for Indonesia and then found that the map is incomplete, showing no roads east of Bali. The bonus for me with this phone has been the camera for both still and video and I'm increasingly finding that it's taking superior shots to my point and shoot camera and easier to manage video than my GoPro and Drift.

Now that I'm in Bali the turn by turn voice navigation along with the visual display is brilliant. The only downside being battery drain; I have onboard charging but it can't keep up.
Dual sport maps
Oruxmaps
Back country navigator
Maverick
And about 10 more are offline, work fine, but they're only available on every android phone made.

Motionx on iPhone

Continue, love the RR !
Old 11-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #123
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
I'm rapidly approaching the bandwidth limit on my photobucket account. Can anyone clue me in to other photo sharing sites that work in a similar fashion. I've looked at flicker but can't figure out how to post pics here with it. Help!
Picasa has no limit I've found yet.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #124
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Picasa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Picasa has no limit I've found yet.
I've used Picasa for some time but have no clue on how to link pics from it to a RR on ADV?
I'll probably just pay the few $$ and upgrade the photobucket account, it's not the storage that's the issue just the bandwidth used from sharing images to the RR.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #125
Bradlo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Great Report

Hi Robin from a cold, wet, miserable (old?) South Wales (UK) Really enjoying your report... It really is fanastic to find out all about parts of the world I am sure I will never be able to visit....keep it coming and ride safe.
Bradlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #126
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bandung

Well the promise of a good nights sleep at the four star resort was shattered a couple of times during the night by the loud wailers on several mosques dotted along the valley. One in particular sounded like it was at the front door. Not quiet sure why they need to be that loud but it is what it is and all part of the experience.
I had a bit of a read of the map and spotted a potential diversion on the way to Bandung, Kamojang Geyser, and decided to give finding it a try. Not to be unfortunately, I was so busy negotiating the the traffic that I missed the turn and having no desire to risk my neck executing a U turn I pressed on. I hit a huge by-pass road on the way in and it had very little traffic. This nice cutting seemed to be a spot for resting in the shade and snapping a few pics.

photo R_CUTTINGTOBANDUNG.jpg

I made it to the outskirts of the city OK and then took a wrong turn and was heading towards the toll road to Jakarta. Motorbikes aren't permitted so I had to return to the intersection against four lanes of gridlocked traffic, great fun.

Once I was back on the right road I stopped to consult my map and GPS and got lucky, a young bloke in an AHASS Honda uniform stopped and asked me where I was going. I told him I wanted to get into the city center and he said follow me sir; easier said than done he rode like a maniac, but I kept up and learned a few tactics for getting through traffic.

With some help from Iwan, who had contacted me through the local Honda Classic Club I found a lovely hotel right in the city and at a very reasonable price. More of the Honda enthusiasts came to visit for a chat and to look at PB.

photo R_BANDUNGBLOKES.jpg

All really nice blokes. I'll be here for another day or two and then decide where to head next. I was planning on going to Jakarta but I just found out that they are rioting in the streets and burning the Aussie flag there over some stuff up concerning spying. Bloody hell.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #127
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Traffic

Thought I'd make a nice early start and get out of Bandung before the traffic got too bad. I left the hotel at 0700 and was still getting out of the city 2 bloody hours later. Made another excursion towards toll gates and then the return journey against the flow of traffic; I'm getting good at that now.
Any doubts I had about missing Jakarta out faded pretty quickly. I know I've disappointed some of the Honda Classic Club people in Jakarta and I absolutely regret that. However I am very comfortable with the decision I made now, I know I would have hated every bloody second of Jakarta traffic and pollution. I wash the shirt I've worn during the day when I get to a hotel and the further west I go the blacker the washing water gets.

After finally clearing the traffic and hitting some open road I pulled up for a cool refreshment. Before I could get off the bike an old lady begging hit me up for a donation. I had a pocketful of coins and gave the lot to her it would have been worth no more than 30 cents but she seemed pretty stoked by it.

My drink was shaved ice, some sugar syrup and what I think was green tea jelly. Not the greatest drink I've had here but still a good way to celebrate getting out of the traffic for a while. I tagged her food cart after this pic with one of the new stickers.

photo R_GREENTEAJELLY.jpg

This part of the road was pretty good and the scenery also worth stopping for to take a pic.
Lots of tea plantations. This area is close enough to Jakarta to get plenty of domestic tourists and the road soon clogged up with soot belching buses and trucks.

photo R_TEA.jpg

In the islands to the east and even in the eastern part of Java I've ridden through what I've some to think of as "Strip Villages" which essentially are a line of business and living premises about 2 or 3 deep along the road for several kilometres. In western Java they have "Strip Cities" they go on forever and at any crossroads a market seems to spring up which causes a gridlock of traffic stretching back a long long way.

So enough complaining about traffic, I've made it to Serang and tomorrow I'll be on the ferry to Sumatra.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #128
foxaviz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:

photo R_CUTTINGTOBANDUNG.jpg
Good evening sir. It's about a month I didn't update the posties RR, so sorry about it. Been busy with the new job here in Jakarta. Are you still in Jakarta or nearby?
.... I get bored going in a straight line.
I see a curve in the road..... I get excited. I might even turn around and go through it again.
Journey Photo Album
foxaviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #129
blek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Email, link, blog, or get the HTML
code to embed pictures using the
share menu above a photo, to the
right of the Actions menu.

www.flickr.com/help/sharing/

It is those three icon that almost looks like dots on the right bottom corner of every picture on every each of your flickr photos.

I believe there also apps for your mobile phone for a quick upload and share.
blek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #130
blek
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxaviz View Post
Good evening sir. It's about a month I didn't update the posties RR, so sorry about it. Been busy with the new job here in Jakarta. Are you still in Jakarta or nearby?
Hi om foxaviz. You should go and catch him. Go to Merak and cross the strait to Sumatra. He will take the wild west trans Sumatran highway for sure, and playing catch on that route sure will be fun muahahahaha! Merak harbour is just 1 hours ride from Jakarta during the night with my 97.2cc. Fire up the saturday night fever om, and roar your engine. Your CC is bigger than his postie! =))
Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #131
blek
Adventurer

Quote:
I've used Picasa for some time but have no clue on how to link pics from it to a RR on ADV?
I'll probably just pay the few $$ and upgrade the photobucket account, it's not the storage that's the issue just the bandwidth used from sharing images to the RR.
Ah, picasa. I believe it has disk size limit back then but I don't know now.

Basically, for every all images you uploaded on the internet, you just need to view it on your browser, right click the image, and select "copy image url" or something similiar.

Now you got the url adress of the image.

Then, paste it between [img][/img] tag. Ex:

[img]thehttp://pasted.url.of.image.jpg.here[/img]
Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #132
foxaviz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by blek View Post
Hi om foxaviz. You should go and catch him. Go to Merak and cross the strait to Sumatra. He will take the wild west trans Sumatran highway for sure, and playing catch on that route sure will be fun muahahahaha! Merak harbour is just 1 hours ride from Jakarta during the night with my 97.2cc. Fire up the saturday night fever om, and roar your engine. Your CC is bigger than his postie! =))
Too bad I work on Saturday. *sigh* Just read bout your reply from the office. Feel so sorry to Rdt935..
.... I get bored going in a straight line.
I see a curve in the road..... I get excited. I might even turn around and go through it again.
Journey Photo Album
foxaviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #133
blek
Adventurer

Resign, then find another job.

*ditabok
Old 11-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #134
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorted the pic situation

Thanks for the info all but in the end it just made more sense to upgrade my account at photobucket.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #135
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sumatra

Eventually cleared the heavily congested roads and rode through an area of oil palms, not the greatest of natural landscapes but better than strip cities. PB started making some strange mechanical rattle sounds so I stopped with the engine still running and the noise stopped, phew it's not the engine. Couldn't see anything obvious so I rode on a bit trying to work out where it was coming from and then stopped again and adjusted the chain tension, that fixed it. There you go, a mechanical issue with the bike, now this is a proper Ride Report.

Stopped in Serang in a medium priced hotel, everything else was full. Ate cheap at a food cart, nasi goreng with an egg on top.

photo R_NASIGORENG.jpg

Off to the ferry port at 0700 and another dose of traffic getting out of Serang. Lots of trucks heading for the port and a gazzilion motorbikes. The smog drifts out over the bay.

photo R_SMOGLAYER.jpg

Getting to the ferry and buying the ticket was simple, the people are great, they see me looking for the way to go and point me in the right direction.

Had a little wait to get on board.

photo R_FERRYTOSUMATRA.jpg

Not many passengers waiting so I figured I was too early and was in for a long wait but with less than 50 passengers we were away in under an hour and heading to Sumatra. As soon as we got moving the massive karaoke machine on the back deck was cranked up two of the worst singers on the planet started wailing. I could hardly hear it in the air-conditioned VIP lounge so paid the extra $1 and retreated for the duration.

Arriving in Sumatra

photo R_SUMATRAFERRYPORT.jpg

This is a main transport route for heavy vehicles so the road was nice and wide but not in great condition. The heavy vehicles have caused deep ruts in the sealed road creating a bit of a roller coaster effect, this means the buses and trucks have to progress at a nice slow pace and makes them easy to get past. Some of the steeper sections are concrete. This is arriving in Bandar Lampung, much steeper than it looks in the pic.

photo R_CONCRETEROAD.jpg

Took a southerly route from BL towards Kota Agung but stopped at a roadside eatery made up of food carts. Looked for something I hadn't tried before and settled on some sort of deep fried tufu with a spicy peanut sauce I finished off with an ice-cream in a cup topped with some sweet syrup and red beans. I know the travel books warn about eating from street carts but if you don't you're missing out on a great food experience. The only time I've had any food related issue was when I ate at one of the places catering for western tastes.

photo R_DEEPFRIEDTOFU.jpg

Got through BL and passed through nice cultivated areas of rice and mixed crops. Stopped to give the backside a rest at a coconut stand where we all had a great conversation in two languages. Lots of laughs but no bloody idea what was being said. I'm sure they're taking the piss but it's all in good fun. I give as good as I take.

photo R_COCONUTMAN.jpg

A couple of young blokes on a Yamaha went by and slowed down waving me to stop. I thought something might have come loose or something. Turns out they went past in the opposite direction, saw me and turned around so they could chat and get a picture. I'm almost famous in Sumatra already and I just got here.

photo R_CHASER.jpg

Rain was threatening before I got to Kota Agung so I found a cheap hotel in the small town of Gisting just as the clouds dumped their load. Free wifi and more delicious street food; I'm enjoying riding again, the scenery looks promising. I'm taking advice from Blek and heading up the western side where the mountains form a backdrop to the coast and I have a contact to meet in Kepahiyang. Time to hit the road. I've decided to clear Sumatra before my visa expires on the 8th so I have some riding to do.