User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #211
kumakahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Emotional attachment

I'm pretty darn emotionally moved by and attached to my 2012 Concours. In fact, I traded my 2008 Connie in for it, and I emotionally miss the 2008. We had been through a lot together, and she never failed to thrill me or get me home. I am learning to love my new black beauty as she does the same for me, time after time. I agree that the Japanese have never figured out how to capture our hearts as well as our wallets. Look at the ST1300. But, the Connie does a pretty good job. It's sort of like a girlfreind when you are in your 50s. You value character, brains, and low-maintenance a lot more than a great body. A good woman gets more sexy every time she opens her mouth, and my Connie gets more sexy every time she gets me through a long, rough weather ride without a problem. The low miles issue is easy to understand for me - it is easier to get a new model when you are not upside down in your present bike and when you didn't have to sell your house to buy it, and I love getting a new bike.
kumakahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #212
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumakahn View Post
I'm pretty darn emotionally moved by and attached to my 2012 Concours. In fact, I traded my 2008 Connie in for it, and I emotionally miss the 2008. We had been through a lot together, and she never failed to thrill me or get me home. I am learning to love my new black beauty as she does the same for me, time after time. I agree that the Japanese have never figured out how to capture our hearts as well as our wallets. Look at the ST1300. But, the Connie does a pretty good job. It's sort of like a girlfreind when you are in your 50s. You value character, brains, and low-maintenance a lot more than a great body. A good woman gets more sexy every time she opens her mouth, and my Connie gets more sexy every time she gets me through a long, rough weather ride without a problem. The low miles issue is easy to understand for me - it is easier to get a new model when you are not upside down in your present bike and when you didn't have to sell your house to buy it, and I love getting a new bike.
Maybe THAT'S why Jap bike owners tend to hop from bike to bike... we can afford it, 'cause we didn't lose our ass the first time around
Old 11-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #213
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Maybe THAT'S why Jap bike owners tend to hop from bike to bike... we can afford it, 'cause we didn't lose our ass the first time around
lmao
I've lost more money (and not just % wise) selling my Japanese bikes over the last 35 years than I have ever lost with any of my Harley's.

I think the biggest reason why Japanese bike owners tend to hop from bike to bike is because they tend to be younger (my personal experience from years gone by...) and more eager to move to the next big thing (faster, new features, style etc).

The cruiser crowd (my personal experience now that I'm older) tend to pick the bike that fits their current need or choice and hold onto it for a little longer.

Or (my personal experience again) some of us also end up with 3 or 4 bikes and ride the one that fits the day.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #214
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I never found HD's or European bikes to hold their value better because I tend to be rough on bikes, riding them year round in all conditions, it seems their ability to retain value is closely related to their cosmetic condition.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #215
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Japanese motorcycles seem to be made for smaller people. One reason I persist in riding my German machine is that it is made for a big person. I am not particularly large, but on a Japanese machine my legs are folded up too much and the handlebars are generally too close. I haven't ridden them all, not even close, but European and American bikes seem more roomy. That is as good a reason as any to make a choice.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/..._4445889_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...79180744_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/..._4635578_n.jpg
Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #216
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Japanese motorcycles seem to be made for smaller people. One reason I persist in riding my German machine is that it is made for a big person. I am not particularly large, but on a Japanese machine my legs are folded up too much and the handlebars are generally too close. I haven't ridden them all, not even close, but European and American bikes seem more roomy. That is as good a reason as any to make a choice.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/..._4445889_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...79180744_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/..._4635578_n.jpg
I have noticed that morbidly obese people do prefer harleys.

Yeah those tiny japanese bikes, some with 38" seat heights are made for midgets and those huge harleys with 25" seat heights are made for giants (well maybe 5' tall and 5' wide people)
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #217
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
I have noticed that morbidly obese people do prefer harleys.

Yeah those tiny japanese bikes, some with 38" seat heights are made for midgets and those huge harleys with 25" seat heights are made for giants (well maybe 5' tall and 5' wide people)

Old 11-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #218
Souljer
Recycling Electrons

Oddometer: 120
Hi,

That is funny.

Now that we're on size and not "reliability", I can also add that the guy I bought my 1993 R100R from is a tall and slim guy. Probably about 6'2". We met and did a multi-sale with me buying his bike and him meeting another guy at the same time and buying that guys bike. One reason he said he was selling the BMW was because he hurt his shoulder and it seemed that the bike might be a bit small for him and the positioning was hurting his shoulder.

The other guys bike -that my seller bought- was a Jiant Japanese bike but I forget which. A massive 6 cylinder thing I think. All the nomenclature and badges had been stripped off for a custom orange flame paint job. When my seller rode away, I admit he looked good and the bike was not too big, but substantially bigger than the R100R he left behind.

As for me, I did a lot of research and found that the BMW was overall what I wanted and the best fit for me. The best at everything or cheapest? For about $2300, of course not. However I don't plan to buy a bike every year and I do plan on doing some of my own maintenance. So I guess I'm too poor to buy cheap.

At least that's how things are at this time in my life. YMMV.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #219
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I never found HD's or European bikes to hold their value better because I tend to be rough on bikes, riding them year round in all conditions, it seems their ability to retain value is closely related to their cosmetic condition.
I live well north of you.
I ride year round.
I wash my bike regularly (we use salt on our roads in the winter) and maintain it myself.

I've never rode my Japanese bikes year round. The Ultra's fairing and lowers provide much better protection from the elements.
They have all been in the same condition when I sold or traded them.
The resale value on the Japanese bikes sucked.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #220
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
I'm glad the resale value on Japanese bikes sucks because I only buy used, and I've yet to loose money on any bike I've eventually resold. What I look for in a bike is cheap to buy, cheap to run, easy to maintain, and reliable. Japanese always wins.

Being 6'2" with a 34" inseam I'm well aware of the distance between the seat and pegs on motorcycles, so I usually end up raising the seat and moving it back. No big deal for an old mechanic.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #221
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
I live well north of you.
I ride year round.
I wash my bike regularly (we use salt on our roads in the winter) and maintain it myself.

I've never rode my Japanese bikes year round. The Ultra's fairing and lowers provide much better protection from the elements.
They have all been in the same condition when I sold or traded them.
The resale value on the Japanese bikes sucked.
In my personal experience, cosmetic condition is far more important than make.

I have almost always taken a loss regardless of make, but I'm probably not the typical enthusiast. I ride my bikes daily as they are my only transportation, and rarely wash them more than a couple times a year. For winter I just spray them down with WD-40 every few weeks, and rinse off the major crud before I do servicing or maintenance.

The best I ever did with a sale was on a KRS RZ350 I purchased new as a 2 year old leftover and sold it for more than I paid for it.
Worst I ever did was on a 883 Sportster I purchased new, got about what I paid for it, but I actually lost thousands on the "Harley tax" items.

I owned both less than a year, and both were still in like new condition.

I find interesting that some folks feel the need to justify the additional cost of prestige brands and flagship models by bandying resale values in an effort to prove their personal preferences are "correct".

All that should matter is if it makes you happy or not, it seems some folks confuse "value" with worth.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #222
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
In my personal experience, cosmetic condition is far more important than make.

I have almost always taken a loss regardless of make, but I'm probably not the typical enthusiast. I ride my bikes daily as they are my only transportation, and rarely wash them more than a couple times a year. For winter I just spray them down with WD-40 every few weeks, and rinse off the major crud before I do servicing or maintenance.

The best I ever did with a sale was on a KRS RZ350 I purchased new as a 2 year old leftover and sold it for more than I paid for it.
Worst I ever did was on a 883 Sportster I purchased new, got about what I paid for it, but I actually lost thousands on the "Harley tax" items.

I owned both less than a year, and both were still in like new condition.

I find interesting that some folks feel the need to justify the additional cost of prestige brands and flagship models by bandying resale values in an effort to prove their personal preferences are "correct".

All that should matter is if it makes you happy or not, it seems some folks confuse "value" with worth.

I too ride daily, and hard. With that said, I have either broken even, or MADE money on every bike I've ever owned. Buy at the right price, and sell at the right time.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #223
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
I too ride daily, and hard. With that said, I have either broken even, or MADE money on every bike I've ever owned. Buy at the right price, and sell at the right time.
And I know folks who pay $300 for a car and get 100K miles out of it....................too many variables to guarantee a given outcome for all folks.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #224
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,972
With bikes, I've always bought what I wanted and didn't worry much about resale. Except for the Buell, I think I've done OK.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #225
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco View Post
With bikes, I've always bought what I wanted and didn't worry much about resale. Except for the Buell, I think I've done OK.
It's totally possible to get what you want, at a good (and "profitable") price, but you have to be willing to spend (sometimes) a few months or more looking.