Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #226
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
It's totally possible to get what you want, at a good (and "profitable") price, but you have to be willing to spend (sometimes) a few months or more looking.
Exactly. I got tired of wasting my spare time on craigslist.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #227
airhead_irl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanShotFirst View Post
For my sport touring bike I ride a ZZR-1200 and I have to say BMW has nothing that can touch it. Yeah their pure sport bike can go a little faster, but it's a pure sport bike and therefore very uncomfortable. My ZZR has bar risers and that's all it took to do long fast rides with luggage or anything I want, and I have an engine with more HP and torque than any BMW sport tourer. I'll admit the Bimmers are MUCH better looking than my semi-homely ZZR but I have the better sport tourer. I don't care what anyone says the new 1600 is NOT a sport touring bike. It's a behemoth that wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell catching my ZZR in the twisties or the straights on its best day.

Still, for daily riders and ADV bikes, it's hard to beat the Bimmers.
Eh, have you heard of the K1200S ? Sports tourer with 167 bhp......ZZR1200 = 160 bhp. The BMW K1300S has 175 bhp. So no, the ZZ12 doesn't have more BHP than any BMW sport tourer. Easily a match for the ZZR both in power and handling in the real world and on real roads. The ZZR has a massive top speed alright but when does a person get to use it besides the drag strip ? I have no doubt the ZZR makes a great sports tourer but in what way does it do better than BMW ? The ZZR12 is also heavier (albeit not by much).
But at the end of it, who cares which bike is best ? If you prefer the ZZ12 and it floats your boat then good for you ! Meanwhile, I will stick with my 70 bhp relic !!
1987 Moto Guzzi NTX 650
1980 Honda C90ZZ

airhead_irl screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 04:23 PM
airhead_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #228
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco View Post
Exactly. I got tired of wasting my spare time on craigslist.
That's OK if watching CL for deals annoys you, perhaps you're the kind of person that one day says "I want this bike, I'm going to go buy it." I'm not that kind of person. I live frugally, so that I can enjoy some select few luxuries that some others cannot... namely, having "too many" motorcycles. I live paycheck to paycheck, but ALWAYS have money for my vice... motorcycles.

I check craigslist EVERY day, at LEAST once. I have come upon MANY great bikes this way. I may not be in the market for suchandsuch a bike, but something will pop up, at a good price, and spark my interest. Next thing ya know, I've got another bike in the garage I had not planned on, or had been searching for.

I have a few bikes I've been looking for for years at the right price too. In fact, I JUST missed out on an S2 the other day. A Honda CL160 is at the top of my list, and has been for some time. However, there are also bikes that I have never even considered owning, that just *happen* to end up in my garage. A CT70 a few years ago comes to mind. There was also a CB200, a Z50, and a G3SS (that ended up being my biggest money-maker to date, far and away) among many others.

To me, the hunt is sometimes more exciting as actually owning a new bike... it's like getting a new girl into bed (which I've recently spoiled by proposing). Half the fun is finding her, setting your sights, and then making it happen.

When you can see a bike on CL, and confidently say "that is a very good deal, I could buy this, enjoy it for a period of time, and make money when I sell it", you're ready to join the ranks of Craigslist Motorcycle Junky. It's not that we (those that tend to buy/sell a lot of motorcycles) can't appreciate what we have, or find a motorcycle is "not to our liking" in the slightest... it's that we love the search. We love finding new bikes that we've never owned before (and some we have), riding them so that we "get it", and move on to the next 2-wheeled experience.

I could do this same thing with German bikes, American bikes, or what have you... but the truth of the matter is, the Japanese offer a greater range of rides. They have something for everyone. You could spend your whole life buying/selling/riding Japanese bikes, and never make a dent in what there is to try. It's not that I "limit" myself to Japanese motorcycles, it's that Japan offers the best bikes, in the widest range of forms. America has cruisers. Germany has quite the range too (if you're willing to pay for it, which I am not), but nothing even approaching the Japanese standard.

Don't worry though, I'm only 26 (barely) and have owned easily 2 dozen + motorcycles in my mere 8 years of motorcycling... I'm sure a BMW or Harley will work it's way in there someday. Then maybe I'll be one of those "Jap crap" guys like some of you.

(note, this wasn't really aimed at Waco, it just sort of evolved into a long drawn out, and mostly pointless post)
Old 11-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #229
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
I've bought bikes on CL relatively painlessly. Trying to find my kid a cheap car was another story. Sellers who don't respond, sellers who respond but don't answer your questions, sellers who think their car worth way over the book value and won't budge, sellers who are suspicious, sells who pretend to be private sellers but are actually car dealers....
Old 11-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #230
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
I've never thought of a motorcycle as an investment, feel the same about cars too. Geez some of you crack me up; is there really some type of investment strategies when buying a motorcycle? Buy what you can afford and what you like seems pretty simple.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #231
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
I've never thought of a motorcycle as an investment, feel the same about cars too. Geez some of you crack me up; is there really some type of investment strategies when buying a motorcycle? Buy what you can afford and what you like seems pretty simple.
That's one way to go about it. Some people can afford to buy whatever they want, whenever they want, without shopping around. Good for them. Another way to do it is to do your research, shop smart, buy low and sell high.

I started with a $2700 motorcycle when I was 18 years old that I saved up for for a LONG time. I rode it for about a year and put about 10k miles on it, then I sold it for $3500. I bought a TL1000R for $3500 and sold it for $4500. The trend continued, and while my garage is more empty than it typically is with a recent move and lack of space, I've got 6 bikes at the moment. My paychecks go to rent, bills, groceries, and my savings account. ALL of my toy money is from buying/selling other toys. My 6 bikes that are currently in the garage all came from that initial $2700 1994 Honda F2, about 8 years ago... almost exactly in fact.

So go buy your bikes without shopping around and doing research. And when you're done paying it off, and find yourself taking a hit during the sale, there will be people like me, standing by, ready to make you a cash offer, because YOU lost your ass, and WE did our research.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #232
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That's one way to go about it. Some people can afford to buy whatever they want, whenever they want, without shopping around. Good for them. Another way to do it is to do your research, shop smart, buy low and sell high.
Not saying I don't haggle with them, we come to a price that we agree on or I move on. I will never have enough money that I wont try to get a deal. My last bike I purchased was less than two years old with 7k miles and I got a fair deal on it, but I expect to lose money. I did purchase a brand new 1985 V65 Sabre as a leftover in 1987 and sold it 23 years later for the same price I paid in 1987 so I understand how it can work I just don't count on it like some seem to do.

Quote:

So go buy your bikes without shopping around and doing research. And when you're done paying it off, and find yourself taking a hit during the sale, there will be people like me, standing by, ready to make you a cash offer, because YOU lost your ass, and WE did our research.
You're reading a lot into my post glad it's worked out for you kid.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
Old 11-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #233
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
I did purchase a brand new 1985 V65 Sabre as a leftover in 1987 and sold it 23 years later for the same price I paid in 1987 so I understand how it can work I just don't count on it like some seem to do.
Your 1985 dollar was worth almost twice your 2000 dollar so you did lose your ass.

$1.00 in 1987 had the same buying power as $1.95 in 2010.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #234
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Your 1985 dollar was worth almost twice your 2000 dollar so you did lose your ass.

$1.00 in 1987 had the same buying power as $1.95 in 2010.
Thank you for pointing that out, guess I should rethink my investment portfolio. Time to look on CL for a better retirement plan
Old 11-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #235
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
In 46 years of motorcycling I have sold 2 motorcycles and a scooter. Two I just lost.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #236
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
I'll just leave this here:

http://rideapart.com/2013/11/questio...cle-character/
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #237
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote: