Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #106
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Kirk View Post
I don't need Consumer Reports to tell me this. I worked at Bob's BMW in the service department!
Every time I go to the local BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealer in Fort Myers,FL and look in the service department I see newer BMWs torn all to pieces getting repaired. I mean stripped down to the frame kinda repairs.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #107
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Ya know, I don't think I've ever made a motorcycle purchase based on reliability.
I've decided not to buy a particular brand because of poor reliability. Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #108
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Every time I go to the local BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealer in Fort Myers,FL and look in the service department I see newer BMWs torn all to pieces getting repaired. I mean stripped down to the frame kinda repairs.
Oh, that's just the fuel filter service..................
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #109
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Are you saying you don't have to remove the blinkers to do an oil change on your bike?
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #110
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Reliability versus character

I was a BMW "dis-liker" for years. I wouldn't say a 'hater', as that's too strong of a word, but I had formed opinions about higher service costs and higher parts costs based on anecdotal stories of other riders.

Then I bought an 02 VFR800 with the VTEC, which I later discovered stood for "Very Terrible Electrical Connections". In the first 3 years and 50,000 miles it left me stranded at least a dozen times on the side of the road. A cam chain tensioner was required every 16,000 miles as well.

I was on vacation riding the Continental Divide Trail in late 07 when a series of events ended up with me spending the day on a demo R1200 GSA. When I got back to the dealership I bought the one they had sitting on the showroom floor.

It has been far more reliable than my VFR ever was, but not as reliable as most of the other Japanese bikes I have owned. Sure it has it's quirks, but of all the bikes I have owned and ridden, it's still my first choice when taking a trip or tearing up some back roads or exploring off the beaten path.

Maybe that speaks to the character of machine and the emotional attachment we have to inanimate objects. My DR650 and my PC800 were both very reliable, but even when I owned them I was always looking at other bikes thinking of replacing them. Even though I have ridden several newer GSA's, I still like mine with 75,000 miles on it and have no desire to upgrade yet.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #111
Doktor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I'd like to see the specifics of the report, such as average age, average mileage, criteria that they used to constitute a "major" repair, etc.

And I agree with you. Around these parts Harleys get the nuts ridden off of them. Most Asian bikes I see haven't accumulated many miles.
Better go look on eBay then. There is about 5000 ten year old, 4000 mile Harley's for sale on there
Doktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #112
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
Better go look on eBay then. There is about 5000 ten year old, 4000 mile Harley's for sale on there
Yeah butt, I see more Harleys touring around here in the mountains of WNC than all the other makes combined.
Or maybe I just hear more.
Not a Harley or BMW hater.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #113
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Are you saying you don't have to remove the blinkers to do an oil change on your bike?
Not on the three air cooled simple non fairing bikes that I currently own.
Which is good for the Ural's sake because it requires a lot of routine maintenance like ever 2500 kms.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #114
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,560
Consumer Reports: sky is blue, water is wet.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #115
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Fasteners

Every manufacturer has their own reasons for using whatever fasteners they use. The part that gets me is that they use so many different fasteners on the bike. Two different sizes to get the side covers off, three different tools to remove a fairing, three different wrenches to adjust my chain, etc.

I've been working on friends Buell 1125R lately, and I can tell you one thing they did right and that every manufacturer can learn from. Every single body fastener, every single bolt that holds a non critical component to the chassis has the same size head. I removed all the body work, the seat, the radiator mounts, the electric fans, etc. using the same tool.

I'd like to see more of that in todays bike designs.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #116
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Reliability has a somewhat different meaning if you do your own mechanical work.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #117
InsideThePerimeter
North GA bound

Oddometer: 140
I'd love to have a Ducati but everyone I know who had one sold it because if the never ending maintence and electrical problems.

If I want something to sit around the house and look pretty I'll buy a painting.

Motorcycles are for riding.

I got 3 Suzuki's and had a Honda. None leak(ed) fluid and all crank(ed) everytime and never left me stranded.

If you Don't Believe in Freedom For All -You Don't Believe in Freedom at All
InsideThePerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #118
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtsix View Post
No... I joined because I've been lurking around here for a year now and figured it was about time to get in on the pissing contest, or whatever. //
Oh - then carry on!

I like to tease the roundelled and tattooed about the article but don't really care. I've owned five different brands (including BMW and HD) soon to be six. Keeps 'em guessin'!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #119
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby1 View Post
I'd love to have a Ducati but everyone I know who had one sold it because if the never ending maintence and electrical problems.

If I want something to sit around the house and look pretty I'll buy a painting.

Motorcycles are for riding.

I got 3 Suzuki's and had a Honda. None leak(ed) fluid and all crank(ed) everytime and never left me stranded.
I'd heard all the horror stories also about Ducs. Don't buy one, is what they told me. So I bought one. And I realized that most of the people sniveling about Ducati maintenance and reliability, have never owned one, and most are just repeating bullshit they heard somewhere. "Oh, my brother in law worked with a guy, who knew a guy, that lived next door to a guy......."

Mine was reliable. In 5 1/2 years, I replaced a Sprag clutch for the starter. And that was it. I've known a few other owners, same thing. Seemed more reliable than couple BMW owners I know, and my co-worker had nothing but problems with his new Big Twin for a year before he gave up and unloaded it, at a great loss. Anecdotal evidence, but still, probably all depends on each individual bike. None of them are really bad, but some seem better than others.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #120
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Reliability has a somewhat different meaning if you do your own mechanical work.
Perhaps you care to elaborate? If your bike is "unreliable", it will break whether you do the work or the shop does the work (assuming "you" know how to wrench). I don't see how being your own mechanic plays into things at all...