Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Bolt removal.

Hey all,

So, on the right side of the engine, the airbox is held on with an 8mm nut that threads onto an 8mm stud. This stud goes forward into the eng block area. I want to remove the stud, AND salvage the 8mm (1.25pitch) threads inside.

(Airbox eliminator kit.....right now, left side has hex bolt. The right side has this stud/nut combo......looking to use hex heads on both sides).

I'm stumped as it seems very stuck in there.

?????
Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,701
This would be your '78 R100/7?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,016
Use a second nut locked up tightly against the first nut, and undo with the first (inner) nut. Some penetrating oil or some heat or both may be required.
I thought two bolts were standard?
Old 09-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, my 78 100/7.....sorry for leaving that out.

Maybe two bolts are standard.....if that is the case, PO decided to change that setup. I'll give the 2nut approach a try.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,403
No, I think a stud is standard on the right.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,422
^Yes, it is, the nut on the stud holds the air box on. I don't think you could get a bolt in there.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No luck with the double bold....in fact made things a bit worse.....started to strip some threads with all the torque.

I didn't try any heat though. Any suggestions where to heat it up at? Heat the engine block in the vicinity of the bolt???
Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Why do you want to remove this part?

Give up. Airheads do not want to change.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 09-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Why do you want to remove this part?

Give up. Airheads do not want to change.
On my airbox eliminator plate, it currently has the hex head in the left with a nut in the right. Call me OCD, but I want to have hex head bolts on both sides.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
No, I think a stud is standard on the right.
If there's threads sticking out and no bolt head on the other side, it's a stud.

Look for a bulge in the gearbox on the outside. it's is screwed into that. Apply heat there..
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre170 View Post
On my airbox eliminator plate, it currently has the hex head in the left with a nut in the right. Call me OCD, but I want to have hex head bolts on both sides.
but one will be screwed into the case and the other goes through to a nut. people are going to notice. Even worse, you're going to know. You wake up in the middle of the night staring into the darkness. All you'll see is that the two sides are not the same. you'll start to sweat. it becomes more difficult to breath...

Anybdy ever mention that one cylinder is farther forward than the other? Or to put it another way, one is farther back. it doesn't have to be like that. Are the cylinders on a radial engine offset in a big spiral? No, they all lie in a plane. This is a two cylinder radial engine. It's not you with the problem. The designers of this thing were just perverse. Like with the through bolt and the stud.

And they saw you coming.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,321
My standard procedure for steel "anything" screwed into alloy "anything", is to give it a good, square, smack with a big hammer, before trying to turn anything.

The reason for this seemingly abusive approach is break the corrosion that develops between the steel and the alloy that stops the screw coming out if left alone.
I have had to do this repeatedly in the last week working on a new to me XR650R motard, all the into alloy screws needed this treatment, with no failures. Button head socket headed cap screws, much loved by Mr Honda, received this smack via an allen key socket.

I learnt this the hard way, while servicing Hydrovan air compressors, with big steel screw plugs with shallow hex heads that would round off if the above treatment wasn't religiously applied.

So give the end of the stud a good wup with a precision adjusting tool, and try again.

The con rods of a radial aero engine are all in line, as there is one master rod, that has all the other rods attached to it.
The Boxer engine is a two throw engine or it wouldn't be a boxer, which means both pistons go out together, no similarity to a radial in any way that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
but one will be screwed into the case and the other goes through to a nut. people are going to notice. Even worse, you're going to know. You wake up in the middle of the night staring into the darkness. All you'll see is that the two sides are not the same. you'll start to sweat. it becomes more difficult to breath...

Anybdy ever mention that one cylinder is farther forward than the other? Or to put it another way, one is farther back. it doesn't have to be like that. Are the cylinders on a radial engine offset in a big spiral? No, they all lie in a plane. This is a two cylinder radial engine. It's not you with the problem. The designers of this thing were just perverse. Like with the through bolt and the stud.

And they saw you coming.
'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Anybdy ever mention that one cylinder is farther forward than the other?.
Mention it all the time. Notice it every time in start my bike. I say to myself, "Look at that. The right cylinder is behind the left."

I think the radial airplane engines are different than our bikes in many ways. For one thing they always have an odd number of cylinders. (I forget the reason or explanation of this but have for years been trying to find it. If a single row or bank of cylinders is used the number of cylinders is odd. The P-51 had an even number of cylinders because it had two rows and they could be run independently, I've heard)

We have a lot of pilots and plane freaks here maybe somebody will explain.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
"So give the end of the stud a good wup with a precision adjusting tool..."

This is correctly described as a "Bashometer".

That upper stud was not meant to be removed. It is nearly an interference fit thanks to being tapped undersized. You will need to heat the engine case near the stud, and it would help to have an assistant to lean on a wrench or vice grips while you heat it.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Mention it all the time. Notice it every time in start my bike. I say to myself, "Look at that. The right cylinder is behind the left."

I think the radial airplane engines are different than our bikes in many ways. For one thing they always have an odd number of cylinders. (I forget the reason or explanation of this but have for years been trying to find it. If a single row or bank of cylinders is used the number of cylinders is odd. The P-51 had an even number of cylinders because it had two rows and they could be run independently, I've heard)

We have a lot of pilots and plane freaks here maybe somebody will explain.