Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #151
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodave View Post
YES!

Cool Machines! What type carburetor do you have on them? Another owner of a 1982 YZ490 said he had good luck with a PJ38, off a Honda CR500. He said it really improved his low end and mid range throttle response. So I started checking out what CR500 owners were doing with their bike. Sounded like a lot of liked the PWK39 better. Although one guy was using a 38PWK airstriker. He said it was perfect for the type of offroad riding he was doing. I don't know if it's true or not, but there was also something said about Service Honda using the 38pwk Airstriker on their CR500. I called Sudco, but couldn't really get any info on how a PWK would work on a YZ490.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #152
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,880
I have experience with the PWK-AS carb. Granted it wasn't on a 490 but the carb has exceptional partial throttle response and fuel metering as well as WFO performance. Took some time to get it right but that's the case with any carb. Sudco should be able to give you a carb close enough to run OK and you fine tune.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #153
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
I have experience with the PWK-AS carb. Granted it wasn't on a 490 but the carb has exceptional partial throttle response and fuel metering as well as WFO performance. Took some time to get it right but that's the case with any carb. Sudco should be able to give you a carb close enough to run OK and you fine tune.
Thanks. Just collecting info on the PWK-as carb now, but I think it might be a good future mod. I have the VM38 on the 490 runs just acceptable right now. But It might run better now that I've changed the crankshaft seals. I think it was sipping some gear side oil. It seemed to be running rich, but ran better once it was hot. Normally rich would run worst when hot, but I think once it was hot enough, it was burning the oil from the gear case. This is from my last set of jetting notes. 6F8 Needle R-0 needle jet, 42.5 pilot, 440 Main, 3.5 cutaway, airscrew 1 and 3/4 out. fuel 92 mixed 32:1, needle clip #3 middle runs good.
Now I tried the clip in #2 and it ran better until 1/2 throttle then worst.
So I tried the clip in #4 and the motor loaded up and ran bad everywhere. So I put the clip back to # 3 and I'll check it again, now that the seal is changed. Any Idea's?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #154
dynodave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra View Post
Cool Machines! What type carburetor do you have on them? Another owner of a 1982 YZ490 said he had good luck with a PJ38, off a Honda CR500. He said it really improved his low end and mid range throttle response. So I started checking out what CR500 owners were doing with their bike. Sounded like a lot of liked the PWK39 better. Although one guy was using a 38PWK airstriker. He said it was perfect for the type of offroad riding he was doing. I don't know if it's true or not, but there was also something said about Service Honda using the 38pwk Airstriker on their CR500. I called Sudco, but couldn't really get any info on how a PWK would work on a YZ490.
One is bone stock. One is 38pwk Airstriker. It would work on your YZ (jetted).
dynodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #155
dynodave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
i had a plated KX500 that i rode/commuted with daily for about a year, and occasionally for a few years after that. in Los Angeles traffic, it was a pretty damn good bike. way fun, easy to ride and dead reliable with the 60 mile round trip. the fuel consumption wasn't even half bad. with flat track tires it was damn near spectacular for my use.
This X 100!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #156
dynodave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
one thing that's been mentioned but i don't feel emphasized enough: an open class 2T can let you relax a bit without having to wring the motor for all its worth and without having to shift much. the YZ490 i had was still one of the best/easiest "trail bikes" i've had to climb hills. just lug on up them without issue (the tread lightly group would like that)... or rip it up and roost. i was passed so rarely on my YZ... it was the rain storm of rocks in my roost that'd knock other riders off
Ahhhhh!!! Hit right on the nose dhallilama! Your explanation made me go back and read a section of my Super Hunky article:

FOCUS ON THE GOOD STUFF
How about this; Compared to a smaller bike, your 500 is:

• Faster
  • Properly tuned, has buckets of smooth power
  • Has lots more torque
  • Is more versatile,
  • Is close to or is the same weight
  • Is MUCH more durable
  • Has more longevity (won't get thrashed as fast)
  • Requires a less maintenance
  • Initial purchase cost is less
  • Cost less to operate on a yearly basis (less parts replacement - more rear tires though)
  • Top ends last WAY LONGER
  • Holds it's resale value better
  • Requires very little clutch use
  • Requires very little shifting
  • And can "cover up" your sloppy riding mistakes
  • And, if ridden correctly, it could be more efficient and might cause you to expend less energy riding in the tight than a smaller bike!
Old 10-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #157
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Some riders from the UK recently set several "world land speed records" at Bonneville using BSA Bantams..............kind of puts it into perspective dont you think?
of all the ridiculous posts you've made, this one surprised me the most, and really proves your ignorance.. it seems you are insinuating that achieving land speed records on a bsa bantam is somehow significantly less of a task than say setting a record on a gsxr1000. whether it's a briggs and stratton or the bub streamliner, the difficulty of making ANY combination the fastest is in theory the same. you do realize that right? that's like saying the fastest guy in the 125cc class is somehow less than the guy running the 500cc class. the top speed is significantly different, but the means to the end is the same. it's all relative. by far the most competitive classes in land speed are smaller cc. ....
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 06:35 AM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #158
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodave View Post
One is bone stock. One is 38pwk Airstriker. It would work on your YZ (jetted).
Thanks . That's good to know. Which carburetor do you think has the smoothest throttle response?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #159
dynodave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra View Post
Thanks . That's good to know. Which carburetor do you think has the smoothest throttle response?
You're welcome. 38pwk Airstriker.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #160
dynodave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
of all the ridiculous posts you've made, this one surprised me the most, and really proves your ignorance..
Twin-sucker is not ignorant...it's that he knows so much that just isn't so.
(stolen from Ronald Reagan.)
Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #161
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
You must be lying or Valentino Rossi's cousin. 'Cause normal people are unable to ride open class bikes in the woods without severe injury or death. TwinSucker will be by to back me up soon.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #162
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
of all the ridiculous posts you've made, this one surprised me the most, and really proves your ignorance.. it seems you are insinuating that achieving land speed records on a bsa bantam is somehow significantly less of a task than say setting a record on a gsxr1000. whether it's a briggs and stratton or the bub streamliner, the difficulty of making ANY combination the fastest is in theory the same. you do realize that right? that's like saying the fastest guy in the 125cc class is somehow less than the guy running the 500cc class. the top speed is significantly different, but the means to the end is the same. it's all relative. by far the most competitive classes in land speed are smaller cc. ....

My point was that if its a joke class, then its likely to attract little or no interest, and simply turning up and riding down the course at 30mph may well result in a world record.

Running a small obsolete bike, and winning against others on similar bikes is just as much as an achievement as using a bigger machine, but not sure the same can be said when no one else at all is riding that class?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #163
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
My point was that if its a joke class, then its likely to attract little or no interest, and simply turning up and riding down the course at 30mph may well result in a world record.

Running a small obsolete bike, and winning against others on similar bikes is just as much as an achievement as using a bigger machine, but not sure the same can be said when no one else at all is riding that class?
depends on the organization, but i know the ecta and scta has very few 'joke' classes... especially for small 2 strokes.. there are still some very attainable small 4 stroke records..
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #164
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,880
He's just trying to belittle my achievements. Unsuccessfully. When he can build a faster bike than I then I'll be affected. Motivated in fact. So by all means get to work and stop talking.

The classes are APS/BF 350/2 and APS/PF 1350/4. Have fun tuning for fuel. Bring lots of spare parts.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #165
dynodave
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Have fun tuning for fuel. Bring lots of spare parts.
Tuning for fuel...not required when using oil injection.