Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #181
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ_Kevin View Post
Hey,

Great job on the 490, looks kick ass! I have been following your thread... keep up the good work. Nice to see all these big bore two strokes coming out of the wood work!

Kevin
Thanks Kevin.
I've got a lot of details to complete to get these machines ready. Plus I'm collecting a lot of good idea's to follow up on and try. I'm closer to getting the YZ465 in the woods first. I might do that when I have the motor a part on yz490.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #182
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flyin Hawaiian View Post
Are you going to have working lights? What coil did you use? Looking good!
When I first got the bike it had a Baja design lighting kit on it. Plus a lighting coil. I don't know for sure, but I was told that the lighting coil was from Ricky stator. Might be an old product they don't make any more. At first this bike wouldn't rev, so I reconditioned and rewired another stator. I might use the lighting coil in the future, but for now I'm going lightless. I believe the 1982 YZ490 uses the same stator base as the IT465/490, so I'm pretty sure a lighting coil from the IT465 or 490 would work also. Picture of YZ490 stator with lighting coil.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #183
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I installed the 75watt lighting from Ricky Stator in my IT465.

They said it was a new product when I bought it last month.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #184
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Carts View Post
I installed the 75watt lighting from Ricky Stator in my IT465.

They said it was a new product when I bought it last month.
Good to know. I didn't see it on their web site. Must be an item you need to call for. From cross checking part numbers, the IT 465/490, YZ465/ 1982 YZ490 and some IT175's all use the same rotor and stator base. So the same lighting coil should work on all of them. In 1983 the CDI magneto was changed on the YZ490. It then remained the same design through the WR500.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #185
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Removed engine from frame. Time to get it ready to send. Need to paint the frame and motor. Remove cylinder head, bore at 87mm.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #186
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,898
For the YZ you'll need an L31 lighting coil. There's a few places that stock 'em. Stealhy and Electrex are two off the top of my head. $70-80 or so.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #187
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
For the YZ you'll need an L31 lighting coil. There's a few places that stock 'em. Stealhy and Electrex are two off the top of my head. $70-80 or so.
Thanks. Always good to know there's electrical parts available for an older bike. Looks like Electrex has almost all the parts to rebuild a stator. Rex's speedshop also has the CDI's for the YZ465/490 and even the newer YZ490/WR500, at a good price. Pretty sure they can rebuild the stator too. I had some problems with the CDI on my YZ490. First it wouldn't consistently spark, then it wouldn't advance. I completely rewired it and it ran great. Then the coil went out. So I replaced it with a low dollar coil, and it's working fine. When I removed the motor all the bolts look this way. It may mean nothing But I checked them with my multimeter , and the corrosion has them completely insulated. Just to make sure they don't cause a problem, I'll clean all the motor mount holes and replace the bolts.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #188
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Yes I called Ricky Stator for a L 31 and the fellow told me that they had a new 75watt lighting coil that was not on there website.

I also bought the voltage regulator as he said I may burnout bulbs without it.

Just call them.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #189
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Send the cylinder and head to Eric Gorr. viola! Broad smooth reliable powerband with enough power to scare anyone with sense.
I sent the cylinder, cylinder head and new Wiseco piston to Forward Motion. I was told that the wider smoother more better powerband, was the best running for the YZ490. I couldn't find any reviews on big bore 2 strokes with this porting. But I found a lot of 250 and 300's, with the Mo betta porting. Sounded like it added some grunt down lower, with smoother power up to, or past were the old power band ended. The 490 already had loads of grunt, so this sounded like the way to go. I might not need so much low end grunt, that I loop the bike every time I touch the throttle.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #190
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

lemme know when ya get it back. I'm curious if he's doing the same thing he's always done or are there changes. I'm considering sending my 465 cylinder/head out.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #191
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
lemme know when ya get it back. I'm curious if he's doing the same thing he's always done or are there changes. I'm considering sending my 465 cylinder/head out.
Yeah I'll let you how YZ490 turns out. My YZ465 has a 1980 cylinder, and I had the head done, but I think the ports are stock. below the pipe, it well torque up and over just about anything. 0n the pipe, I have to stay 100 percent focused. All I have to do is blink at the wrong time, and bad things can happen in a hurry. I hear that the 1981 YZ465 porting is a little more controllable, but I haven't tried it. If getting it ported would retain the low end it has, smooth out the mid range hit, and keep the same top end, it would be awesome. Smoothing out the mid range would at least give you a warning that your about to hit warp speed.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #192
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,410
You aren't going to smooth out a YZ490. I had one when they were new. It'll throw a grapefruit size rock a half a mile...
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #193
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
You aren't going to smooth out a YZ490. I had one when they were new. It'll throw a grapefruit size rock a half a mile...
Well even just a little smoother on the YZ490 would be OK. It's also supposed to run better and be easier to get the jetting sorted out. But I'll find out when my parts come back. I got the jetting sorted out on my YZ465 and it runs great, throttle response is right there. But in a way, it dose kind of feel like I shortened the fuse to the TNT.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #194
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

You think the 490 has an abrupt delivery you should ride one of these. That is if there are any left in one piece.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #195
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,418
My dad used to ride one of those. I wish I still had it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2