Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #61
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I get the feeling that most on here who suggest a converted open class MX bike is superior to a smaller machine for tight woods riding, are play bike riders who never take part in serious competition?
Again with "feeling". Which would be also called a guess.

As far as competition how does 14 landspeed records,1 drag racing and more than a few road racing,MX and Hare Scrambles wins sound? I've actually been paid to ride someone else's nitro burning drag bike because of my riding skills. Well that and the bike scared the shit out of the owner. How 'bout you?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #62
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,163
Quote:
Not got a clue?
Pretty much explains everything you post.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #63
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Again with "feeling". Which would be also called a guess.

As far as competition how does 14 landspeed records,1 drag racing and more than a few road racing,MX and Hare Scrambles wins sound? I've actually been paid to ride someone else's nitro burning drag bike because of my riding skills. Well that and the bike scared the shit out of the owner. How 'bout you?

If you really can go faster in the woods on a converted open class MX bike, than a purpose built 200cc enduro bike, then I guess you must have been representing the US in Sardinia last week. Did you opt to ride your converted air cooled open classer there I wonder?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #64
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Wow , what an ASS.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #65
dynodave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
If you really can go faster in the woods on a converted open class MX bike...
Converted, air cooled open class MX bikes are 100% superior at throwing large rocks at 200cc riders! Especially 200cc riders with big bore mouths.

Do yourself a favor twin-scooper, wear a full face helmet!
dynodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #66
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,163
Quote:
If you really can go faster in the woods on a converted open class MX bike, than a purpose built 200cc enduro bike, then I guess you must have been representing the US in Sardinia last week. Did you opt to ride your converted air cooled open classer there I wonder?
Is there some special reason you like to screw up the threads in here with your bullshit opinions.

This thread is specifically about 82 YZ490's if you want to blab on about 200cc trail bikes start your own thread.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #67
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Send the cylinder and head to Eric Gorr. viola! Broad smooth reliable powerband with enough power to scare anyone with sense.
Yeah.........it can be made better if virtually everything about the engine is changed. The pinging when hot and jetting issues have always been the biggest thing. Race Gas,less compression,flywheel addition.

Yamaha gave Broc Glover one as a keepsake,he never started it once.

Yamaha could make the works 490's go pretty fast. Never been any kind of trailbike though.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #68
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
Is there some special reason you like to screw up the threads in here with your bullshit opinions.

This thread is specifically about 82 YZ490's if you want to blab on about 200cc trail bikes start your own thread.

Bigbikes can be fun in the woods,it isnt always about who goes fastest or easiest,lotsa torque is always fun as long as its rideable.
A friend swears by his tricked out CR500 for tight trails.

By chance I go best on the KTM 200's but that's just me.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #69
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodave View Post
Converted, air cooled open class MX bikes are 100% superior at throwing large rocks at 200cc riders! Especially 200cc riders with big bore mouths.

Do yourself a favor twin-scooper, wear a full face helmet!
Hah! I used to ride a dual shocked 495 KTM in the woods,a dufus riding buddy made the mistake of roosting me on his KDX200.

Later the same day I nearly blew him outta the seat with a shower of debris off the rear tire of the 495,broken headlight,cracked chest protector,bruises.
He got off lucky.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #70
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Quote:
It'd be nice to see you back up your 200cc mouth with some skills other than typing.

You give assholes a bad name.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #71
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 771
I'm not going to read this entire thread but I rode and raced a 1982 yz490 in southern california pack in the early 2000's for a few years for fun. I rode this bike on some of the most technical stuff that So. Cal has to offer, think Snowy creek, rincon, and some place that should not be named up above Jawbone. i raced d37 and d38 as well as the final races at Carlsbad Gran Prix and something that Too Much Fun put on in the middle of the Tijuana Caliente dog track

This bike in the right hands can and will work just fine in all conditions, shine in some and be a handful in others.

Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #72
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
I'm not going to read this entire thread but I rode and raced a 1982 yz490 in southern california pack in the early 2000's for a few years for fun. I rode this bike on some of the most technical stuff that So. Cal has to offer, think Snowy creek, rincon, and some place that should not be named up above Jawbone. i raced d37 and d38 as well as the final races at Carlsbad Gran Prix and something that Too Much Fun put on in the middle of the Tijuana Caliente dog track

This bike in the right hands can and will work just fine in all conditions, shine in some and be a handful in others.

Mike
When was it they closed Carlsbad? I don't remember. I haven't been out there in 30+ years.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #73
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
+1

I had an 82 YZ 490 that I originally purchased to race MX. Then entered a few offroad events with it and thought the bike worked better in the woods than on the MX track.

If you can find a DG pipe for the bike it makes a huge difference over the stock pipe. Really smoothes out the power band . With the DG pipe you could pretty much ride the bike in 3rd and 4th gear.
Thanks. I have a DG pipe on order for the YZ490. If it gets here soon enough, I'll test it before I get the cylinder head and port work done.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #74
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
hmm i dont know much about the early YZ490 but the latter YZ490WR and WR500 i know a little more about....went to buy one on the odd occasion

here some info

http://www.yamahawr500.com/about.html

it might give you some hints as to what can be done to change it for Trail use
Thanks, I've been reading everything I can on all the YZ490's and WR500's. I find it interesting that they dropped the compression ratio more than half a point. I also like the 5 speeds on the newer 490's and 500's. Looking at the ratio's, it looks like they only added a lower first gear. Also sprockets at 14/48. To match that low of a 1st gear ratio, with my 1982 4 speed, I'd have to use 13/52 sprockets. Could probably idle up hills in first with that ratio.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #75
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra View Post
Thanks. I have a DG pipe on order for the YZ490. If it gets here soon enough, I'll test it before I get the cylinder head and port work done.
missed this about the cylinder/port work, musta been in the midst all the drama and such. are you going for the Gorr head mod?

i've heard at least one guy say "the whole motor has to be changed" or something along those lines, to make it a good trail/woods bike. Gorr's head mod and minor port work is just that, minor... but HOT DAMN what a change in the bike.

(going back to craigslist, looking for another 490 now)