Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #76
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra View Post
Thanks, I've been reading everything I can on all the YZ490's and WR500's. I find it interesting that they dropped the compression ratio more than half a point. I also like the 5 speeds on the newer 490's and 500's. Looking at the ratio's, it looks like they only added a lower first gear. Also sprockets at 14/48. To match that low of a 1st gear ratio, with my 1982 4 speed, I'd have to use 13/52 sprockets. Could probably idle up hills in first with that ratio.

well that just shows me how little i know of the old ones.....i thought they were all 5spd

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #77
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
It'd be nice to see you back up your 200cc mouth with some skills other than typing.

You give assholes a bad name.

Like it or not its an awful lot easier to ride a smaller capacity bike faster when riding in the woods. With a super fast pro rider then obviously the open class MX bike would be far quicker, but pretty much everyone else is going to find the smaller bike faster, as well as being far easier to start and using less fuel.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #78
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
What part of "I don't get passed very often" eludes you? I am good enough that I was a professional motorcycle racer for a few years. Pay attention.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #79
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
missed this about the cylinder/port work, musta been in the midst all the drama and such. are you going for the Gorr head mod?

i've heard at least one guy say "the whole motor has to be changed" or something along those lines, to make it a good trail/woods bike. Gorr's head mod and minor port work is just that, minor... but HOT DAMN what a change in the bike.

(going back to craigslist, looking for another 490 now)
Yes. That is the plan. I'll go with the more low end and mid range option. At first I didn't know, because I though the top end would suffer. But it sounds like I'll have more than enough top end. I'll pull the motor and do a quick paint job on the frame. Very necessary, with all the rain we get. I'll need some good tires for the mud too.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #80
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
What part of "I don't get passed very often" eludes you? I am good enough that I was a professional motorcycle racer for a few years. Pay attention.

I guessed you must have been a works supported rider, and as holder of 44 world land speed records, very well known outside the world of chat forum BS.

Anyone who like yourself is a world class top level rider, would have a much better chance of being able to ride a converted open class MX in the woods effectively.

However there are very few riders as talented as you, and for them a 200cc machine will work an awful lot better as a woods bike in pretty much every possible way.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #81
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I guessed you must have been a works supported rider, and as holder of 44 world land speed records, very well known outside the world of chat forum BS.

Anyone who like yourself is a world class top level rider, would have a much better chance of being able to ride a converted open class MX in the woods effectively.

However there are very few riders as talented as you, and for them a 200cc machine will work an awful lot better as a woods bike in pretty much every possible way.
I liked it when Shane Watts rode a KTM 200 in GNCC and won most every race,against all sizes of bikes,on tracks where horsepower can be readily used. Then he made a point of riding a different sized KTM at each race one season and did just about as well.

Its the rider. My 09 200XCW will pull 4th or 5th gear up really steep hills and turn like a 125,they just dont lack much as long as you dont mind using the throttle a good amount.

But Ive had a blast on big block bikes as well.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #82
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
then, there's guys like me.... equally as slow on a 200 or an open class, in the woods, tight single track, technical stuff

for me it's about the grin factor. i have raced competitively in vintage/evo MX, MX (when the now "evo" bikes were new), hare scrambles, desert, road, drag, hill climb... none of it at an expert level, all of it an absolute blast.

it's difficult to beat the fun factor of a big bore 2t.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #83
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I liked it when Shane Watts rode a KTM 200 in GNCC and won most every race,against all sizes of bikes,on tracks where horsepower can be readily used. Then he made a point of riding a different sized KTM at each race one season and did just about as well.

Its the rider. My 09 200XCW will pull 4th or 5th gear up really steep hills and turn like a 125,they just dont lack much as long as you dont mind using the throttle a good amount.

But Ive had a blast on big block bikes as well.
Obviously a 200 isnt as fast as 500 when power can be used to the full, but as the smaller bike is so much easier to ride, and handles a great deal better, which means the 200 is very hard to beat in anything other than a straight drag race on suitable terrain.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #84
dynodave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Like it or not its an awful lot easier to ride a smaller capacity bike faster when riding in the woods...pretty much everyone else is going to find the smaller bike faster...
How in the hell would you know that Twin-Scooper?

I believe, from reading your writing, that you have never been on and couldn't start, a 500cc 2T. I'd bet on it.

This makes your point moot bro. Give it a rest.

The minicycle forum is on another page.

dynodave screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 12:53 PM
dynodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #85
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
it's difficult to beat the fun factor of a big bore 2t.
THIS x 10
Old 10-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #86
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Obviously a 200 isnt as fast as 500 when power can be used to the full, but as the smaller bike is so much easier to ride, and handles a great deal better, which means the 200 is very hard to beat in anything other than a straight drag race on suitable terrain.
Now you're only fooling yourself.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #87
dynodave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Fellas, I now am embarrassed that I publicly wasted my time replying to any post made by twin-shitter, after reading the whole "CR vs KX" thread.
Somehow I missed all the crap she posted there.

I also noticed that she did not post any of her 500cc pics in the "big bore" thread. Gee, I wonder why.

I'd bet that twin-pooper doesn't even ride a dirtbike.

Twin-pooper-troll needs to be ignored...like many said in the CR/KX thread.

Sorry to hijack this cool 490 thread.

Twin-pooper is done.
dynodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #88
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Man you sure are dense. 14 landspeed records. I told you pay attention.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #89
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodave View Post
Fellas, I now am embarrassed that I publicly wasted my time replying to any post made by twin-shitter, after reading the whole "CR vs KX" thread.
Somehow I missed all the crap she posted there.

I also noticed that she did not post any of her 500cc pics in the "big bore" thread. Gee, I wonder why.

I'd bet that twin-pooper doesn't even ride a dirtbike.

Twin-pooper-troll needs to be ignored...like many said in the CR/KX thread.
hah, for a real treat check out the premix oil thread debacle. twin shocker has proven on many occasions that at best he's a regurgitator of internet drivel, with no real world experience.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #90
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Long live the PUMP!!!!!!!!

And you can play twin sucker like a cheap plastic ukelele.