User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
NEW Enduristan Monsoon soft saddlebags @ Black Dog Cycle Works

The quality and thoughtful of superior design continues from Enduristan with the announcement of their Monsoon saddlebags (i.e. "panniers" to the rest of the world). As more and more riders seek out exploration of new territory, the shift towards lighter weight in increased manueverability continues to rise and the Monsoon soft saddlebags are more then up to the challenge.

We ride wtih conviction using saddle bags. Hard panniers are OK but off the road every kilo counts.

Monsoon comes with crucial advantages:
  • 3kg light - a big difference in the open country
  • 3kg light - easy to carry
  • 100% waterproof
  • Variable Volume: 2x15-30 Liter
  • Lower risk of injury in case of a crash

3 LAYER PROTECTION

In Enduristan life is sometimes hard: The bush extends onto the track, the creeks are precariously deep and not every slip-up can be avoided. Great if your luggage can deal with all that!

1. Wear Protection: In the areas most likely to be damaged we use 1000D Cordura®, which is twice as strong as the Cordura® used in most motorbike jackets and trousers.

2. Impact Protection: At the front, underneath and at the rear we use high impact plastic to protect the contents of the bags from thrown-up stones and branches.

3. Water Protection: The waterproof layer is made of double side coated fabric, the construction is all welded. Unlike hard panniers, the roll down closure does not bend in the case of a crash and remains waterproof.

WATERPROOF

TPU-laminated fabrics, roll-down closure and a welded construction: The saddle bags Monsoon are 100% waterproof.

The new design of the roll down closure helps you to close your bags even if they are loaded to the top. Just overlap the two plastic strips over one another and easily roll down.

These bags include a 5 year warranty as well. Given the excellent quality of these bags, it is very doubtful that is necessary.

Available exclusively through Black Dog Cycle Works

Dealer inquiries welcome

thanks for your continued support.

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!

KTMforget screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 09:10 AM Reason: title change
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Now in stock

We received our first shipment of the Enduristan Monsoon soft saddlebags yesterday. Ready to ship!

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,549
Mounting on the SE

Kurt,

How did the mounting of those work out on the SE? I'm interested in them (and it's time for my monthly check to Black Dog anyway ) but I already have plenty of pannier systems laying around that don't fit well. Mostly, I'm concerned about keeping it off the exhaust pipes. Did you put them over some kind of existing tube rack?

Uli

EDIT: I just realized that you use the Back Roads Moto rack for this. Never mind.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better

Colorado Uli screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 09:10 AM
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post
Kurt,

How did the mounting of those work out on the SE? I'm interested in them (and it's time for my monthly check to Black Dog anyway ) but I already have plenty of pannier systems laying around that don't fit well. Mostly, I'm concerned about keeping it off the exhaust pipes. Did you put them over some kind of existing tube rack?

Uli

EDIT: I just realized that you use the Back Roads Moto rack for this. Never mind.
Hi Uli
Thanks for your interest in the Monsoons. The bags worked out great on the SE. I had Back Roads Moto make a special rack for us that includes a loop at the front to provide a tiedown point for the front strap on the Monsoons (for riders who don't have the passenger pegs). We now have these racks in stock as well.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,549
Just got mine last week. I also received and installed the Back Roads Moto racks (took only about 30 minutes to install) - nice and easy.

Some thoughts:

1) The racks appear to be made simple and sturdy while utilizing the best possible mounting locations on the 950 SE. It might be a good idea for the user to take the rear frame off and reinforce it at the points where KTM has drilled it through and tapped it -- a known weak spot and possible break point (I've seen one snap already with a fairly light load on it). However, this advice is applicable to any SE with any sort of rack which puts weight on the rear frame -- probably all of them.

2) The mounting instructions for the racks were outdated since the latest change in design and did not match the actual hardware delivered. No problem tho as a call to Berg (the manufacturer of the racks) cleared it up in a minute. Berg is a VERY customer oriented fella and, after I initially got his voicemail, returned my call in under 30 seconds (not kidding). He told me that he had made a change to the design which eliminated the need for spacers but hadn't gotten around to changing the instructions. I'm sure he'll get right on it now. Thanks Berg!

3) Kurt, do you have any pictures of how you routed the rear securing strap through your cargo plate? I'm using the CJ Design plate and have tried numerous different configurations now, but I'm still not sure if the rear strap is sufficiently far away from the Akro exhaust cans (although they don't get too terribly hot). It'd be nice to see how you dealt with it.

Can't wait to take the new luggage set up on the trail.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better

Colorado Uli screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 02:46 PM
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,603
Hey Kurt,
What kind of warranty does Enduristan offer? Someone just mentioned to me that they slid out on some sand and the bags immediately ripped apart and he had to rig it up to get home. Haven't heard back yet if they were warrantied or not.

If that happened with an Ortlieb, they would warranty it for ya. The smooth exterior of the Ortlieb isn't as rough and grabby as the cordura of the Enduristans.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Hey Kurt,
What kind of warranty does Enduristan offer? Someone just mentioned to me that they slid out on some sand and the bags immediately ripped apart and he had to rig it up to get home. Haven't heard back yet if they were warrantied or not.

If that happened with an Ortlieb, they would warranty it for ya. The smooth exterior of the Ortlieb isn't as rough and grabby as the cordura of the Enduristans.
Enduristan offers a 5 year warranty on defective workmanship, which, if we are talking about the same person on his trip to Baja, is indeed what happened. There is no luggage (hard or soft) on the market that can withstand every crash scenario (nor would they be warrantied for crash damage) but we feel the Monsoons have a very sturdy design. I have put them through numerous crashes and they have come out fine. We did have a few that were not sewn properly and they blew apart - those were replaced under warranty.

We expect to have the new, improved Monsoon 2 saddlebags in late May or early June, which we are very excited about.

Thanks for your interest in our products.
Kurt

Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post
Just got mine last week. I also received and installed the Back Roads Moto racks (took only about 30 minutes to install) - nice and easy.

3) Kurt, do you have any pictures of how you routed the rear securing strap through your cargo plate? I'm using the CJ Design plate and have tried numerous different configurations now, but I'm still not sure if the rear strap is sufficiently far away from the Akro exhaust cans (although they don't get too terribly hot). It'd be nice to see how you dealt with it.

Can't wait to take the new luggage set up on the trail.
Hi Uli
Sorry I thought I had replied to this. I actually now run the Monsoons without the rack and I feel they work much better. Recently tested in the Arizona backcountry:

Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMforget View Post
Enduristan offers a 5 year warranty on defective workmanship, which, if we are talking about the same person on his trip to Baja, is indeed what happened. There is no luggage (hard or soft) on the market that can withstand every crash scenario (nor would they be warrantied for crash damage) but we feel the Monsoons have a very sturdy design. I have put them through numerous crashes and they have come out fine. We did have a few that were not sewn properly and they blew apart - those were replaced under warranty.

We expect to have the new, improved Monsoon 2 saddlebags in late May or early June, which we are very excited about.

Thanks for your interest in our products.
Kurt
Actually it was a few other reports that I had read, mostly about the outside portion falling apart (without being crashed, just from poor stitching).

The guy that mentioned them falling apart said he was on the CBR trail, not sure where that is.

Can ya give us a sneak peak or some details about the new bags?

By the way, can ya tell me if a full faced helmet can fit into the bag? And if so, can ya take a pic or two? That's the main reason I prefer the Ortliebs, they'll hold even a XXL helmet and not look like a stuffed turkey doing it.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Just post turned on to this post. I was on the Continental Divide Ride going South to North. While still in NM going up a dirt two track off the main route looking to find a camp site I took a dirt nap due to 4-6 inches of sand. Actually was going way too slow which caused the F800GS front tire to dig in and pull me quickly to the left in to the raised sandy embankment which was about a foot and a half to two feet high. The left bag's outside cover split along the bottom seam nearest to the bike.

I was able to lash it together for the rest of the ride with Rok Straps which was fine and the rest of the bag held up with the use. The fastest I would say I was going when I smacked in to the embankment would have been 25 mph if that.

These were the first saddlebags I have ever used so I have no other metric to go by to even say if this was truly a product failure or an excessive event that absolutely no product could ever be expected to survive. So this is not a judgement, just the facts surrounding my experience.

If you think I qualify for a replacement please PM me with info on how to make it happen. It seems like quality kit and I would use it again if replaced. Now it is just an accident waiting to happen. Thanks.

Curtis Bond
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Sounds like you had some of the bad batch bags that were mentioned earlier. Or at least I sure hope you did.

A 25mph impact into sand should not cause the seems of a $350 set of "adventure" to rip out.

If a pair of $70 plain nylon bags by cortech, tourmaster, nelson rigg, chase harper e.t.c. can withstand multiple downs in rougher conditions at higher speeds than a set of bags costing FIVE times as much should also be able to withstand the same.

Hopefully the company takes care of you.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider View Post
Just post turned on to this post. I was on the Continental Divide Ride going South to North. While still in NM going up a dirt two track off the main route looking to find a camp site I took a dirt nap due to 4-6 inches of sand. Actually was going way too slow which caused the F800GS front tire to dig in and pull me quickly to the left in to the raised sandy embankment which was about a foot and a half to two feet high. The left bag's outside cover split along the bottom seam nearest to the bike.

I was able to lash it together for the rest of the ride with Rok Straps which was fine and the rest of the bag held up with the use. The fastest I would say I was going when I smacked in to the embankment would have been 25 mph if that.

These were the first saddlebags I have ever used so I have no other metric to go by to even say if this was truly a product failure or an excessive event that absolutely no product could ever be expected to survive. So this is not a judgement, just the facts surrounding my experience.

If you think I qualify for a replacement please PM me with info on how to make it happen. It seems like quality kit and I would use it again if replaced. Now it is just an accident waiting to happen. Thanks.

Curtis Bond
Email sent

Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Actually it was a few other reports that I had read, mostly about the outside portion falling apart (without being crashed, just from poor stitching).

The guy that mentioned them falling apart said he was on the CBR trail, not sure where that is.

Can ya give us a sneak peak or some details about the new bags?

By the way, can ya tell me if a full faced helmet can fit into the bag? And if so, can ya take a pic or two? That's the main reason I prefer the Ortliebs, they'll hold even a XXL helmet and not look like a stuffed turkey doing it.
Quote:
Sounds like you had some of the bad batch bags that were mentioned earlier. Or at least I sure hope you did.

A 25mph impact into sand should not cause the seems of a $350 set of "adventure" to rip out.

If a pair of $70 plain nylon bags by cortech, tourmaster, nelson rigg, chase harper e.t.c. can withstand multiple downs in rougher conditions at higher speeds than a set of bags costing FIVE times as much should also be able to withstand the same.

Hopefully the company takes care of you.
Eddie
Thanks for your interest. I will work on getting photos with a full face helmet. We don't have the Monsoon2 bags yet and I have asked the manufacturer to summaries the changes for me. Just to be clear - these bags are designed very tough. I have had numerous crashes at descent speeds over very rough terrain and they have held up great. Much better than hard bags would have and no doubt "$70 plain nylon bags" would have been ripped to shreads.

There were a few quality control issues in the first production run, but I believe we have taken care of all the customers under our 5 year warranty program.

Yes, we stand behind the product and we would not sell it unless we believed it was an excellent design.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks for your support
Kurt

Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Thats great, I would be really really interested to know if a full faced helmet can slip into one of the bags.

I currently carry one in my Ortlieb saddle bag, I put it in upside down then shove some gloves and a buff into it. Fit's great, will even swallow an XXL helmet. This way if I pick up a lady I have a helmet for her to wear.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
thanks for the quick reply! Will pack them up and UPS this weekend with my new contact info (Bought them while living in NYC).

Thanks