Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
CarbonCat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
Advice needed: which GPS

I traded bikes and my GPS was a part of the trade. It was Garmin 2720. I had no problems with the unit.

Now I have two bikes, I just want one unit. All the new waterproof units are expencive and I don't know if its really a smart investment.

I had an idea, but I don't know if I'm in a right direction : buying used galaxy note 2 off Craiglist ~$220 and a waterproof case ~$30. I then can either buy an app, or download and cache maps from google and use the unit only as GPS.

Please let me know your opinions and experiences about it! Thanks!!!

Motorcycles are not my lifestyle - they are my life!
CarbonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
I have had a 2610, a 60csx and now a Montana. The Montana is kind of nice, but the most useful for me was the 60csx. It had a waterproof power plug and was really great for tracks (I'm still trying to learn the Montana). But the 60 has been replaced by the 62, which doesn't have a waterproof power plug. That is a deal breaker for most of us.

In your price range is the Garmin 78, which is marine. It has the waterproof power plug and operates like the 60/62 with the right maps and set-up. I think you could buy the GPS, CityNav maps, and Ram mount system for a little over $300.

The tracks management system is free from Garmin for both MAC and PC. Called basecamp. I found basecamp to be sort of a miracle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCat View Post
I traded bikes and my GPS was a part of the trade. It was Garmin 2720. I had no problems with the unit.

Now I have two bikes, I just want one unit. All the new waterproof units are expencive and I don't know if its really a smart investment.

I had an idea, but I don't know if I'm in a right direction : buying used galaxy note 2 off Craiglist ~$220 and a waterproof case ~$30. I then can either buy an app, or download and cache maps from google and use the unit only as GPS.

Please let me know your opinions and experiences about it! Thanks!!!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 960
I use my smartphone constantly as a GPS. It works well.

BUT,
If I was going to have a separate specific device for a GPS, I think that I would go with a waterproof and glove friendly device. Depending on how you waterproof the Note, the screen glare may be an issue. Operating with gloves may be an issue. Then you have to develop a waterproof power system.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
I have a 2610 (I think it is anyway, its that series of waterproof models) and the screen visibility in the sun is far better than my phone on full brightness. The phone is a Droid Razr with the 4.3" screen and there's just too much glare to use it without shading it somehow. It is also difficult to use with gloves. And with the apps I currently have, I need to have cell service to see the satellite views, which has been an issue lately in the Adirondack Park area.

If there was a gps that had a screen like the 2610, and the ability to download satellite imagery when at home that would be my ideal solution.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
CarbonCat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
Thanks a lot guys!!!
yesterday i went by the Gateway BMW, and talk to Adam, one of THE parts guys. he told me to drop the idea of galaxy note, since it not build for that. he had experience with iphone where after the unit was waterproof, on for ~5 hours and charging, it was super hot to the touch even in a case.

I think i will go with a dedicated GPS, so far i really liked Garmin Montana/ BMW Adventure.

Motorcycles are not my lifestyle - they are my life!
CarbonCat is offline   Reply With Quote