User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Lennys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
2013 990 Baja 1st ride review

Well yesterday was my first real ride on Casper, my buddy Craig (Bad Weather) pick up a 2011 990 R so we did a 220 mile 50/50 ride, well off the bat it sucked for me, my bike has the 70mph shake on the fwy big time so trying to keep up pissed me off, when we started up the two track road it didnt take long for me to see that this bike was way way way to soft for even this jeep road, soon i got the hang of it riding it like my mt bike pumping it over the bumps and riding smooth, the first set of whoops where fun !!! Reminded me of a old ATC 110 the back got more air from the landing, love the way this bike tracks in turns on flat dirt roads (very inpressed) took it on a couple short single tracks with some nice ups and downs with a lot of bowling ball size rocks, for me 1st gear was useless 2nd and 3rd were the ticket, im glad I didnt start buying all kind of parts allready as the muffler/air cleaner/map would be a waste as of now, first on my list are SKID PLATE and KICK STAND RELOCATOR second will be SUSPENSION, not sure what to do here? SUPER PLUSH this suspension or have them R this suspension for more ground clearance but i like being able to touch the ground with this big bike, cant wait to get out for a couple days in Baja!!!!!! Lenny
Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Lennys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone gone from Super Plush to Super plush tall ??? Is it worth it being short
Old 09-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
The better offroad rider you become the more comfortable you will be about not being able to touch the ground.. if you just have superplush do a re valve and respring on your suspension you may like it at first but then wish you went to R height or even S height..

If you know someone who has an R or an S bike see if you can go for a ride with them and trade bikes in the rough stuff

the standard suspension SUCKS big time... to soft in the front and to hard in the rear...

prepare to spend about $1600 to extend your suspension to either R or S

I may be selling my suspension soon (complete set, forks, rear shock, Center stand and kickstand) ($1000 ish) but I have not decided yet

I may be moving to the 1190R

Pm me your phone number.. I have about 10K in aftermarket parts on the bike also that I may be selling for about 50% of retail..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Lennys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Your right Paul about steping up to the tall suspension, ive rode my hole life on tall bikes its just the wt im worried about in the slow chit but i can see i took to this bike right away even how soft it is, can you get this bike to run whoops ??? need to save some money for my suspension or trade someone.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennys View Post
Your right Paul about steping up to the tall suspension, ive rode my hole life on tall bikes its just the wt im worried about in the slow chit but i can see i took to this bike right away even how soft it is, can you get this bike to run whoops ??? need to save some money for my suspension or trade someone.
watch some videos from the wans or radek

some good riding in this thread
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913598

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Lennys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Paul them riding up jeep mine trail in Baja is what sold me on this bike, I know what i need to do.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,134
Properly valved suspension will be way better than longer travel stock suspension.
Start with fork springs (tons of threads here, also check the Hall Of Wisdom) and go from there. That extra inch of travel is not a magic bullet.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Properly valved suspension will be way better than longer travel stock suspension.
Start with fork springs (tons of threads here, also check the Hall Of Wisdom) and go from there. That extra inch of travel is not a magic bullet.

+1

Opened up valving and went to 56 springs on my stock 05 950 adv . Amazing what it glides over and how it doesn't bottom unless I jump it high and land with a plop. Reworking the S suspension (springs/revalve) would still be on my to do list if I ever did the conversion. It's that good.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
guysalami
<put custom title here>

Oddometer: 34
I ran D908's front and back on my 2012 990R and they were majorly unsettled at 70mph+. I was surprised to see KTM using this combo on the 2013 Baja. Not to mention that the rear 140 is IMO just too skinny for the 4.25 rim, the bike falls into turns horribly.

I loved the handling of the stock tires (scorpions) but they are too street oriented. I've finally settled on a combo that works well for me, Pirelli Scorpion Rally front and a 150 Mitas E-09 rear. Great on road, great off road, reasonable high speed stability (way better than the d908's that I ran) and not too expensive.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 437
I'm surprised that more test riders at the rally haven't commented about the 2013 Baja's extreme front end wobble when accelerating. I thought it was dangerous for new test riders. We talked about it and most agreed the D908 was to blame. We also debated why a known problem, D908 front on the 990 is unstable on the street, would be put on for test riders at the rally. I will leave it at that.
This bike... A D606 front is good and would have been the tire to match the D908 rear.

knobbyjoe screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 10:06 AM
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Lennys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
I'm surprised that more test riders at the rally haven't commented about the 2013 Baja's extreme front end wobble when accelerating. I thought it was dangerous for new test riders. We talked about it and most agreed the D908 was to blame. We also debated why a known problem, D908 front on the 990 is unstable on the street, would be put on for test riders at the rally. I will leave it at that.
This bike... A D606 front is good and would have been the tire to match the D908 rear.

Im suprized that someone has'nt crashed, the first run on the fwy was an eye opener, im at 500miles on the bike and its getting better but i still wont ride one handed over 60 mph.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 396
The first time I ran a 908 on the tarmac it made me think I forgot to tighten everything up .After a few rides either I get used to it or a few heat cycles and the rubber stiffens up then maybe is a little tire wear?. In the long run I'll live with it on the street to get to the next dirt section .If you want street tires ther is a set of 17"s in the flee market I'll make you a good deal on
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 437
If we are talking 990 then need 21 front and 18 back. Again the D606 has been a good 990 front tire for me on dirt and street.
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
Lennys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidewayes View Post
The first time I ran a 908 on the tarmac it made me think I forgot to tighten everything up .After a few rides either I get used to it or a few heat cycles and the rubber stiffens up then maybe is a little tire wear?. In the long run I'll live with it on the street to get to the next dirt section .If you want street tires ther is a set of 17"s in the flee market I'll make you a good deal on
I want to ride from my house to the dirt and back so im going to try the 606 up ft and the 908 in the back, from my house to the dirt in Baja is 138 miles or 70 miles to Palm st to Big bear.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
The 908 will break-in within a few hundred miles. The weaving will calm way down. It's unsettling but it's not going to throw you off. If it bothers you that much I'll take it off your hands. I went from the standard suspension to the Superplush "S" spec. It's worlds better. If you stand up in the rough sections where you are likely to step off, the extra height is really not that noticable. But the extra ground clearence is very welcome. I actually noticed the height more in town doing slow manuvers then I do I techincal terrain where I need to dab a foot. Trying to reach the ground seated is harder, but since I'm standing in the tuff-stuff, it's easy to get a foot down. Remember, it's a 500 lbs bike, you are not going to catch it!

As someone said, you can always have the stock stuff resprung and revalved. Ride it like that, if you want more height, you can add it later. You will lose some savings versus doing it all at the same time, but since you are spreading the cost out over time it's kinda a wash.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote