Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
If you are in VA, carry an el-cheapo sacrificial detector to hand over.
good luck trying to quickly hide the real one while you're on a motorcycle and they're pulling you over.
My solution: avoid the beautiful, but politically corrupt state altogether
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,454
When I go to Va I just stick the V-1 in my front "Stich" pocket and zip it up....then I follow a Vette or some other more attractive target to my destination!

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,432
From a similar thread, don't ever tell your insurance company that you own/use a radar detector.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
dsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre View Post
I've always thought that having a radar detector front and center on the dash took your odds of talking your way out of a ticket from slim to none.
Probably. On the other hand, riding with a little common sense and a good early warning device, there should be no reason to even have that conversation with LEO.

dsy screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 05:17 AM
dsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
From a similar thread, don't ever tell your insurance company that you own/use a radar detector.
I'm with USAA do you know what their "Hey Idiot, Call in and Report the Stupid Stuff That You do so we can Drop You." Hotline number is?
Old 10-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre
I've always thought that having a radar detector front and center on the dash took your odds of talking your way out of a ticket from slim to none.
I've heard more than one person add to the reliability of that statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy
Probably. On the other hand, riding with a little common sense and a good early warning device, there should be no reason to even have that conversation with LEO.
A couple of months ago I was passing a string of cars in the fast lane on the interstate and looked up and saw a LEO underneath an overpass with his door open and his 'gun' up. Crap.
But he was raising and lowering his gun and shaking it. What the heck? I moved into the right lane and a car passed me in the fast lane with this guy looking at me with the biggest grin I'd seen in a long time.
I'm suspecting that car had a jammer in it. Whew. Talk about being lucky.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Except that an early warning device is not going to give you much advance notice if the LEO is using it as we were trained ... to confirm a visual observation of excessive speed. Yes, we were even tested on our ability to judge relative speed both moving and stationary. IIRC, 7/10 was passing.
Perhaps certification standards vary in other parts of the country. The only advantage would be if the officer already targeted the vehicle ahead of you ... but there are many in the profession that drive with the radar unit on all the time. For many, the radar detector is a false sense of security ... for others, it is worth the $$. If you "feel the need for speed", I understand...been there done that (on Sam's nickel). YMMV
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #23
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Except that an early warning device is not going to give you much advance notice if the LEO is using it as we were trained ... to confirm a visual observation of excessive speed. Yes, we were even tested on our ability to judge relative speed both moving and stationary. IIRC, 7/10 was passing.
Perhaps certification standards vary in other parts of the country. The only advantage would be if the officer already targeted the vehicle ahead of you ... but there are many in the profession that drive with the radar unit on all the time. For many, the radar detector is a false sense of security ... for others, it is worth the $$. If you "feel the need for speed", I understand...been there done that (on Sam's nickel). YMMV
Of course, we'd all like as much warning as we can get, but lots of warning is not strictly necessary. If a rider is working hard to be observant (as anyone speeding ought to be), then he is going to see the LEO at almost the same time as the LEO sees him, and will start slowing down immediately. Assuming (yeah, I know) that the rider is traveling at a speed that is not too crazy, e.g., 20 over, it takes only a moment to slow down to the speed limit, so by the time the LEO deploys his radar gun, you're at a good speed. Also, (and perhaps you can confirm this) it is my understanding that it takes a radar gun a tad longer to lock onto a bike that is rapidly slowing down than one traveling at a steady speed.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #24
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Of course, we'd all like as much warning as we can get, but lots of warning is not strictly necessary. If a rider is working hard to be observant (as anyone speeding ought to be), then he is going to see the LEO at almost the same time as the LEO sees him, and will start slowing down immediately. Assuming (yeah, I know) that the rider is traveling at a speed that is not too crazy, e.g., 20 over, it takes only a moment to slow down to the speed limit, so by the time the LEO deploys his radar gun, you're at a good speed. Also, (and perhaps you can confirm this) it is my understanding that it takes a radar gun a tad longer to lock onto a bike that is rapidly slowing down than one traveling at a steady speed.
Hard to spot a "slick top" at a distance even with LE markings.
Nope, it is a nearly instantaneous reading...much faster than your recognize and react time.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #25
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,525
All the speed traps I've seen in the past years used instant on laser guns. They emit no signal until officer pulls the trigger. Your laser detector may beep, but it will be too late. I gave up on the detectors long time ago.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #26
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
All the speed traps I've seen in the past years used instant on laser guns. They emit no signal until officer pulls the trigger. Your laser detector may beep, but it will be too late. I gave up on the detectors long time ago.

Out west they still use a lot of radar, my detector has helped out a few times and even has detected the car in front of me getting hit by laser in time for me to back off, I don't normally speed too much these days though, its just nice to get a wake-up call in case I'm daydreaming.
The cruise control on my new GSW appears to be more valuable in preventing me from getting a speeding ticket than a detector.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Out west they still use a lot of radar, my detector has helped out a few times and even has detected the car in front of me getting hit by laser in time for me to back off, I don't normally speed too much these days though, its just nice to get a wake-up call in case I'm daydreaming.
The cruise control on my new GSW appears to be more valuable in preventing me from getting a speeding ticket than a detector.
My thoughts exactly ... the cruise is a real benefit on the GSW.
Although I have a V1 in my car for the reasons you posted, it is not worth the hassle to install, weatherproof, and theft protect a radar detector on the bike. It is nice to know where the HPs are working in case the Accident Prevention unit is in the area (with multiple cars / troopers) for saturation.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
This is the best info in the thread. Detectors are mostly a waste of money.

Another "trick" is to be near a vehicle. Seeing as radars work by sending a signal out and measuring the time it takes to be bounced back, the bounce will likely come from the vehicle near you as there is more surface area. If your all alone, youre screwed. The exception is a laser which is sighted like a firearm. Those also wont give a warning with a detector. Once it warns you, your speed has already been checked.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #29
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
This isnt very accurate. Many patrol cars have radars mounted. As the officer drives down the road he flips a handheld switch anytime he approaches a vehicle believed to be speeding. Takes less than a second as its only a flip of the thumb.

As for the slowing down, a radar picks up a speed regardless of the actions of the vehicke. Its real time. If you are slowing, the radar will show that which is also a good indicator foe the officer to stop you. Watching a speed rapidly go from 75 to 55 makes cops think you were likely going faster. As stated in my previous post, motorcycles dont have as much front area to bounce the radar off though so range isnt as great. As, even a heavily tree lined road has more interference and will cut down on range too.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #30
JetSpeed
Naviator

I certainly didn't see enough of a benefit to move my detector from my old 05 GS to my new GSW, it's on the shelf in the closet now.