Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #31
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj
This is the best info in the thread. Detectors are mostly a waste of money.

Another "trick" is to be near a vehicle. Seeing as radars work by sending a signal out and measuring the time it takes to be bounced back, the bounce will likely come from the vehicle near you as there is more surface area. If your all alone, youre screwed. The exception is a laser which is sighted like a firearm. Those also wont give a warning with a detector. Once it warns you, your speed has already been checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj
Many patrol cars have radars mounted. As the officer drives down the road he flips a handheld switch anytime he approaches a vehicle believed to be speeding. Takes less than a second as its only a flip of the thumb.

As for the slowing down, a radar picks up a speed regardless of the actions of the vehicke. Its real time. If you are slowing, the radar will show that which is also a good indicator foe the officer to stop you. Watching a speed rapidly go from 75 to 55 makes cops think you were likely going faster. As stated in my previous post, motorcycles dont have as much front area to bounce the radar off though so range isnt as great. As, even a heavily tree lined road has more interference and will cut down on range too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka
All the speed traps I've seen in the past years used instant on laser guns. They emit no signal until officer pulls the trigger. Your laser detector may beep, but it will be too late. I gave up on the detectors long time ago.
Out West they also have another method; using timed traps. You simply run through two sets of eyes at a specified distance and the speed is calculated. I guess it's similar to the 'eye in the sky' concept. I don't know too many people that have beat that one.

A lot of our roads are windy and hilly with straight stretches in between, so the LEOs tend to run with the radar on all of the time. If they don't then they set up at certain points along the highway - creatures of habit - goes both ways. And different agencies have different funding and equipment.

I'll agree with JetSpeed; I don't speed much anymore at my age. Radar detectors are a tech gadget that I like, but don't really need. What I do REALLY like (off topic) is the the speed limit being displayed in my Zumo or gps for the road that I am on. To me that is priceless.

What I like about the latest and greatest detectors is they have an updateable database with radar sites and red light cameras. Some of the time when I come to a stop, I'll put one foot down and then go. That's not totally stopped to put two feet down - and that's a $220+ ticket in my area to some LEO's.

To the LEOs out there: our company started using a portable (trailered) radar gun with a large LED readout of your current speed some 10 years ago. The local towns have adopted that concept and put them in school, residential and problem zones or areas. That portable tattle tale works.

Jammers - I'm going to leave that one alone...

Getting a radar detector is still open for me; it's just not a necessity though...

WindSailor screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 03:40 PM
WindSailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #32
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by biometrics View Post
I notice no one posting so far has a location in Virginia... and lucky you are. For anyone who lives in Virginia (or those who would consider passing through Virginia) and are considering such a modification... let me warn you ahead of time that Radar Detectors are ILLEGAL in this state, and if you are stopped by the police and they see it, it WILL be confiscated...

If you physically attach it to your bike, such as the "stealth" installation that has been suggested in this thread, I don't think it would be impossible for your whole bike to be confiscated!

Let's be careful out there! -John
Actually, they do not confiscate it.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #33
dsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Detectors are mostly a waste of money.
Yes if your going to ride or drive like a fool and think they are going to save you, then you would be better off to save your money for your fines.
If your a cautious 10mph over driver that just wants to avoid those pesky nuisance tickets that tend to add up points and drive up your insurance rates then a good detector is money well spent.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #34
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Yes if your going to ride or drive like a fool and think they are going to save you, then you would be better off to save your money for your fines.
If your a cautious 10mph over driver that just wants to avoid those pesky nuisance tickets that tend to add up points and drive up your insurance rates then a good detector is money well spent.
If it makes you feel better then go for it. However, pretty much everywhere I've ridden, I've done 10 over (or more) and have passed police without ever being stopped. Except in towns, many cops allow 10 over before they even bat an eye.

Also, in all the times I've been stopped (I'm a police officer, but oftentimes it doesn't come up until they actually ask for my ID) as soon as I realized their was a patrol car behind or turning around on me I would pull over even before they had their lights on. I would step off the bike and remove my helmet and gloves immediately and be very polite. Most of those times, I got a friendly, "slow down" and was told to ride safe. Maybe I'm lucky?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #35
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,602
anymore on the bike I try to pick my spots carefully. I tend to speed on the good sections of a hilly curvy road and relax and enjoy the straight spots.

It helps.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #36
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,122
Quote:
if it makes you feel better then go for it. However, pretty much everywhere i've ridden, i've done 10 over (or more) and have passed police without ever being stopped. Except in towns, many cops allow 10 over before they even bat an eye.

Also, in all the times i've been stopped (i'm a police officer, but oftentimes it doesn't come up until they actually ask for my id) as soon as i realized their was a patrol car behind or turning around on me i would pull over even before they had their lights on. I would step off the bike and remove my helmet and gloves immediately and be very polite. Most of those times, i got a friendly, "slow down" and was told to ride safe. Maybe i'm lucky?

+1
Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #37
Tutivillus
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
If it makes you feel better then go for it. However, pretty much everywhere I've ridden, I've done 10 over (or more) and have passed police without ever being stopped. Except in towns, many cops allow 10 over before they even bat an eye.

Also, in all the times I've been stopped (I'm a police officer, but oftentimes it doesn't come up until they actually ask for my ID) as soon as I realized their was a patrol car behind or turning around on me I would pull over even before they had their lights on. I would step off the bike and remove my helmet and gloves immediately and be very polite. Most of those times, I got a friendly, "slow down" and was told to ride safe. Maybe I'm lucky?
Excellent advice and very true. +1

Sent via alien probe
Tutivillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #38
dsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
If it makes you feel better then go for it.
It does... 39 years of running one with no moving violations does make me feel good. I'm always 10 over, and the leo's I know say they wont bother someone for that long as your not being an ass. But there are leo's that might have a chip on their shoulder or didn't get laid, or what ever that can and will write you up for that. I still make sure I'm going the speed limit when I get an alert.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #39
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
It does... 39 years of running one with no moving violations does make me feel good. I'm always 10 over, and the leo's I know say they wont bother someone for that long as your not being an ass. But there are leo's that might have a chip on their shoulder or didn't get laid, or what ever that can and will write you up for that. I still make sure I'm going the speed limit when I get an alert.
The problem is modern radars, and especially lasers, defeat any sort of detector. Either way, more power to you.

I see you have a JK with a Hemi, so you're not opposed to spending money on dumb things. I waste more money on my jeep then I care to mention, but I always say I NEED those parts...

Ever come up to Michigan to wheel?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #40
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutivillus View Post
Excellent advice and very true. +1

Sent via alien probe
We instruct m/c rider to stay on the bike with hands in clear view and shut down the engine and all electronic., Do not do anything until the officer tells you to. Furtive movements spin up the situation.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #41
Prodaddy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
^^^^^Ditto^^^^^^

Let us know which one you get.

I've been considering getting one -which the wife sourly disapproves of- . If I do, I think it will be one made for a car and installed on a bike. I don't think the motorcycle versions have the tech the car ones do.

Tested: Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector

Which is the World's Best Radar Detector?

Those are somewhat dated, but good reading anyway.
I put an Adaptive TPX w/s.s. mount. Seems like a well built unit. Very loud alarm and bright flashing LED visual alert. Going to make a 300 mile trip next Tuesday, hope I get a chance to see it in action...
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #42
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Radar Detectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
We instruct m/c rider to stay on the bike with hands in clear view and shut down the engine and all electronic., Do not do anything until the officer tells you to. Furtive movements spin up the situation.
Good advice! A couple of years ago, I was returning to NC from a cross country ride. I'd spend a good part of the day on I-10 and, after El Paso, I wicked my GSA up to 90 mph . . . . felt pretty good. Exiting at Van Horn, TX, I thought 90 mph on US 90 seemed like a good idea . . . . until 5 miles west of Marfa. I noticed the H.A.R.D. unit in my helmet start to flash just before I saw the approaching black F-150 was lit up like a Christmas tree. Dang, instant on! I waved at the deputy and was on the side of the road before he could turn around. I remained mounted, killed the engine and had a hand on each mirror as he approached. I asked permission to dismount and told him which pocket my license was in before reaching for it. He mentioned he'd clocked me at 88 mph in a 70. After the formalities, he asked about a sticker on my right pannier; it is a First Infantry Division patch. I told him I served in Vietnam with the Big Red One and he handed my license back saying, "Slow down and have a nice day." As it happened, he'd served with the same outfit in Iraq.

The point is, a radar detector can be of some assistance. It let me know I was about to meet a nice law enforcement officer. YMMV.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #43
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
As a police officer, I always want people to remain in their vehicles except on bikes. I want them to get their helmet off as it means they are less likely to run or hit me with it. As such, I dont have an issue with a person stepping off their bike as long as they remain by the bike. The issue is many shoulders are soft or are abgles or whatever and could be hard to balance the bike. Ive had more than one bike get dropped on the side of the road because the person was trying to do things they usually do off the bike and lost their balance.

Removing a helmet and gloves is not threatening. Digging in pockets and into saddle bags and such is though and shouldn't be done till the nice officer is ready for you to do so.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #44
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,584
I don't care for police officers very much, my last run-in was with a CHP in the Mojave National Preserve, I was doing 72 in a 55 when he came over a rise at me, during the stop he saw the base decal on the forks and asked what branch of service I was in (Navy), then handed me a ticket for the full 17mph over, turns out he was an ex-marine.
That was before I had a detector on my bike, but I'm sure it would have alerted me.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #45
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I don't care for police officers very much, my last run-in was with a CHP in the Mojave National Preserve, I was doing 72 in a 55 when he came over a rise at me, during the stop he saw the base decal on the forks and asked what branch of service I was in (Navy), then handed me a ticket for the full 17mph over, turns out he was an ex-marine.
That was before I had a detector on my bike, but I'm sure it would have alerted me.
Lol. Thats a good story.