ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
Ignore Amos OP
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
Heated Grips

I've seen a few advertised like Hot Grips www.hotgrips.com Coming from a GS I'm spoiled and want them on my 9fiddy. I've seen them for as little as $20 and as much as $150, any thoughts or suggestion as to a brand?

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:17 AM   #2
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,452
I've had these on my bike for 8K miles. Love em. If they fail, they're cheap to replace.

JG

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride..._grip_kit1.htm
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
Ignore Amos OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe
I've had these on my bike for 8K miles. Love em. If they fail, they're cheap to replace.

JG

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride..._grip_kit1.htm
I'd like to go low cost route..after buying BartKims bike you can understnd why,

Did you just put them under the stock grips? did you use a heatroller or just the standard 3 way switch? lastly, where did you mount the switch?

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Old 08-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Chadd
I live in the wrong place

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by gran bandido
I'd like to go low cost route..after buying BartKims bike you can understnd why,

Did you just put them under the stock grips? did you use a heatroller or just the standard 3 way switch? lastly, where did you mount the switch?
I ordered the KTM heated elements and installed them under a pair of stock grips. I put about 3 wraps of 3M electrical tape on the bare bar before putting the heating element on too keep the bar from sucking up all the heat off of that side "saw this recommended somwhere". Seems to have worked very well and both sides seem to heat the same amount like that.

I also purchased a small 3 position rocker switch from NAPA instead of using the big old metal toggle that comes with the kit.

I think the KTM heaters were around $20 from my local dealer. The switch was under $3 I think and was well worth the extra cost of purchasing, it looks and fits the dash much better than the kit switch.
03 WR250F
95 GasGas JT25
Chadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
MonkeyPlunger
Detroit 9fiddy adventurer

Oddometer: 68
heated grips

I too am looking to install heated grips on my 950. I purchased the KTM kit for about $20 bucks. I did not like the crappy switch and resistor that it comes with. They look like they will corrode and eventually fail or short in damp conditions, neither have any water resistance at all. I have been looking to add a switch that will look like OEM, and does not look like a cobble job.

I did find one possible location for the switch that can be achieved using oem parts. Look at the throttle and kill switch/control block assembly on the handle bar. If you look closely underneath the kill switch you will see a small cover. On the European models (according to the parts list that came with the bike) a 3 way switch is located there, very similar to the turn signal switch on the opposite side of the handle bar. This 3 way I think is used for parking lights / running lights. It looks like the perfect switch and location for a heated handgrips.

I am trying to track down the switch assembly. My ktm dealer says they cannot get any parts that are used on euro only models. I have noticed that the control blocks (throttle, kill, turn, horn, brigths) on both sides of the handle bars look identical to ones used by other motorcycles. I suspect that there is a single manufacturer of these controls that supplies the same parts to various OEMS. My next step is to try to track down the switch through another motorcylce brand. If anyone has any input please let me know.

2005 KTM 950 - schwarz
2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited - SOLD :(
MonkeyPlunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
Xfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by gran bandido
I've seen a few advertised like Hot Grips www.hotgrips.com Coming from a GS I'm spoiled and want them on my 9fiddy. I've seen them for as little as $20 and as much as $150, any thoughts or suggestion as to a brand?
I went with the dual-star kit. I did not wrap my bars with electrical tape and it works just fine. Wrapping with friction tape is probably better but not necessary.

I put the switch on the 1/2 strip just above the speedometer. Drill the hole from the headlight side, there are a number of enforcement ribs behind the panel and you don't want to hit those and make sure you leave enough width for the switch. The KTM accessory wire will plug right on to the switch.

Chadd's got a hot tip about the NAPA switch. The switch that comes with the dual-star kit is pretty ugly.
Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Hey Guys...wrapping you bars with electrical tape is a BAD idea...Over time the glue will turn to goop and your grips will spin...And then you'll have amess to clean up, and a potentially dangerous situation...
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,425
I have the Symtec grip heaters, although not on my KTM. I believe they are the same as what Dual-Star sells:

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...e=heated_grips

They've worked great and the two position rocker switch basically mimics the levels of heat you get out of BMW factory heated grips which also have a H and L setting. I've found no need for a heat troller and the grips have parallel elements of different wattage, which gets around the cludgy resistor setup.

I used 1" heat shrink tape on the left side to provide a little insulation from the bare bar, although the two sides do put out different levels of heat to compensate for the throttle tube on the right vs. the bare bar on the left side. Works perfectly for me.

The switch mounts in a hole and looks OEM:

(The display above the switch is a voltmeter for monitorying electrical system draw.)

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #9
mark h
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPlunger
IOn the European models (according to the parts list that came with the bike) a 3 way switch is located there, very similar to the turn signal switch on the opposite side of the handle bar. This 3 way I think is used for parking lights / running lights. It looks like the perfect switch and location for a heated handgrips.
It is indeed the light switch in the UK - if you want one, I can get you a price from my local dealer?

M
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
Ignore Amos OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I have the Symtec grip heaters, although not on my KTM. I believe they are the same as what Dual-Star sells:

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...e=heated_grips

They've worked great and the two position rocker switch basically mimics the levels of heat you get out of BMW factory heated grips which also have a H and L setting. I've found no need for a heat troller and the grips have parallel elements of different wattage, which gets around the cludgy resistor setup.

I used 1" heat shrink tape on the left side to provide a little insulation from the bare bar, although the two sides do put out different levels of heat to compensate for the throttle tube on the right vs. the bare bar on the left side. Works perfectly for me.

The switch mounts in a hole and looks OEM:

(The display above the switch is a voltmeter for monitorying electrical system draw.)

- Mark

ThIs just might be the ticket! like that rocker switch

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Old 08-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #11
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,452
Where'd you get that rocker switch?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:52 PM   #12
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe
Where'd you get that rocker switch
It's what ships standard with the Symtec grip heater kit. The picture on the CAST web site doesn't show it, but it is in the description.

I have heard that the Dual-Star kit is the same. DS's web site picture shows the clunky metal toggle but I don't know what they actually ship with. In any event, CAST has it for cheaper, so I'd just use them.

You do need a little clearance behind the rocker switch - I'm recalling maybe an inch or so.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 08-17-2005 at 03:59 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #13
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,464
I bought the kit from a Polaris snowmobile shop and that is the same rocker switch it had.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #14
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 75,147
heated grips??

dude, you live in Tuscon and ride to Mexico.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:56 PM   #15
TIM I.
and some dry white toast

Oddometer: 357
i use the aerostich wrap on grip heaters. they work great and i've never had one break... since they velcro on, I can remove then whenever. they are SO hot in fact i can't run the heat troller more than half without it getting too hot to hold. even in cold IA temps.
TIM I. is offline   Reply With Quote