Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Go Pro & FSR 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
Nice pics! I like the perspective, especially the motion blurring. Based on your second photo I will guess that warped image comes from a super wide angle lens such as on a GoPro or similar. Have not gone there yet myself but I do like shooting with wide angle lenses on my DSLR. If you were using video, did you pull the stills from the recorded video or did you manage to capture those shots intentionally?

I enjoy seeing the terrain you rode through - it gives me fodder for another adventure. I rode up to Salida last Saturday taking a scenic route quite similar to yours. It only took me 11 hours. Actually I only managed to get in about 2/3 of what I had planned. Even flying solo dirt routes take a really long time.

You know, if you had turned right at the Cruces Basin Wilderness sign you could have gone down to Antonito for gas and skipped all the muddy bits. But then that would have been less adventurous, no? I didn't have the cahones (or the time) to ride 87 all the way through solo on my big bike. I've only had to pick it up once and there were two other people helping me. Not sure I could do it alone, especially if it was lying downhill. I played it safe and steered clear of the mud - this time.

I liked seeing your images of the area around the Rio Grande Reservoir. I was up that way mountain biking sections of the CT back in late June when the fires were raging. Here's a shot from my camp above Spring Creek Pass:

I thought the Rio Grand Reservoir area was a goner for sure but judging by your shots it looks like it survived pretty well. The hills south of there are all match sticks now. I'll be back up there next summer to continue my pedaling fix ala Colorado Trail as I was run off by smoke this summer. We do live in a glorious part of the country. Don't tell anyone

Nicely done trip report. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Greg Dee - Again, thanks for your ride report, To Moab For Ice Cream http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812669
it was an inspiration for my trip. Most of my shots are taken with a Go Pro mounted on my helmet at setting #4 or #5. I set the camera to shoot 1 frame every 30 or 60 seconds, downloaded a LOT of photos and then just picked a few I liked and deleted the rest. A few photos were taken with an iPhone. The blur (I am guessing) is a combination of low light and moving relatively quickly...I like the effect too.

Like you suggested, next time I will probably not take 87 all the way around and instead will take 87A towards Antonito. I also see another road that heads basically due North near the Los Pinos River.

Hope to meet you sometime on the trail.

Cheers - Pangia

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Thanks Guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txplants View Post
photos and report! I like your ID... Pangia! One world!
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard View Post
Thanks for sharing Pangia! Nice report and great pictures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post

Nice report and ride!!
TXPlants, Picard & Trail Boss - glad you enjoyed the write up, thanks for the . Now I just want to sneak in one more similar ride before snowfall....is it possible?

Pangia

Old 10-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Nice ride!!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

LC to La Garita / Maps / Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
I'm curious about the route from Lake City to Lagarita. I think I know it but just want to confirm (from Cochetopa it should be CDR). I'm planning the CDR for 2014.

Well, I went back and re-read the LC to Lagarita route and I know it now (Los Pinos Pass and Saguache Park to 114, then dirt again to Lagarita.)

I grew up in Durango, lived many years in Gunnison and rode MOST of the roads around there. We used to do Stony from Silverton, take a 'short cut' from the Rio Grande Reservoir up past Heart Lakes and then drop down near the foot of Cinnamon outside LC, great road but a bit rugged for big bikes. There was some private prop near Heart Lakes, not sure if that is still open.

Forgot: GREAT RR, super photos!
Mc Russ: Re maps and routes....

#1 I like the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route Map by Butler as it shows the main route and hints at other options off of the main route. The route I took to La Garita is clearly identifyable on this map. The actual turn off that I took was not labeled with a road number, the sign simply read, "La Garita" and I went for it....Here is a link to the Butler Map: http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle...very-Route-Map

The GPS Tracks for the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route can be downloaded for free here: http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR

#2 (This was overkill, but I did it anyway) I purchased this map of Colorado by Benchmark: http://www.benchmarkmaps.com/product...creation-atlas

It can be found at many stores and on the internet. I then cut out the pages of the area I was traveling in and taped them together to get a more detailed overview of the route. I see it going for $8 to $23 on the internet. It is NOT plasticized like the Butler Map is. Will not travel well.

#3) If you are 100% into the CDR (Continental Divide Route) rather than the COBCDR (Colorado Back Country Discovery Route) then I believe the tracks for that route are on ADV Rider here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108842

With any of these suggestions, keep doing your own homework (like you are) asking on the forums, etc... then keep in mind that plans change and just go for it and have fun!!

Hope that helps -

Cheers,
Pangia

Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 509
Great report and pic's, looks like one I'll have to put on my list!
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #21
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,717
Very nice

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great ride.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I have some Butlers, will probably get the Butler CBDR one of these days. Also I have the tracks for the CDR, also the bicycle book. And am very familiar with most of the Colorado route with the exception of Del Norte to Chama and through the rest of NM. It is the NM section that I'm really looking forward to. I don't think we'll start any further north than Breckenridge but who knows?

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,519
Nice pics and report.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Pangia - a few days late but finally had a chance to see your report - such a beautiful part of the world you have on your doorstep! What a fantastic trip.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #25
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Muchas Gracias

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
Nice ride!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
Great report and pic's, looks like one I'll have to put on my list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great ride.
King, Slideways & Hannda....thanks for your comments. Glad you like!

Pangia

Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #26
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Duffs from GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Pangia - a few days late but finally had a chance to see your report - such a beautiful part of the world you have on your doorstep! What a fantastic trip.
Duffs, glad you got to see my ride report...thanks for the oil filter tips before I departed. Hope our tire tracks cross paths some time. Look me up if you head over to the US.

Cheers - Pangia

Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #27
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,975
The burger in Platoro looked so good, a friend and I rode over and each had one for lunch today. Yumm. No room for the Cobbler; maybe next time (next Wednesday) ...

ramz screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 12:32 AM
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #28
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
Nice trip. Great report and pics.

I was pretty impressed at the way you managed to lift that bike back up.

Looks like you lucked out on the snow. I think a couple of friends were up on the Alpine Loop riding KTM 990s or 690/640s. Any sign of them?
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #29
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb That's a goooood burger!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
The burger in Platoro looked so good, a friend and I rode over and each had one for lunch today. Yumm. No room for the Cobbler; maybe next time (next Wednesday) ...

That BURGER is like the Ring in the Lord of the Rings....it keeps pulling on me. My plan is to either go on a day ride (can't let the wife know I would consider an overnight just for a burger...can I?) and leave Santa Fe at 6 am, Dome Road to Jemez to 144 to Coyote to Abiquiu to El Rito to 44 to 690 to 42 north to 111 / 42 to 64 to 421 to 133 to 87 to 87A to Antonito to 17 to Horca to 250 to Sky Line Lodge where I can eat THE BURGER !!...and then slab home....OR...if I can get a few Santa Few compadres to go along...maybe turn it into an overnight and hit what roads we can that don't have snow on them yet....we will see....

Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #30
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Idaho, Arkansas, Oklahoma & mystery rider ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Nice trip. Great report and pics.

I was pretty impressed at the way you managed to lift that bike back up.

Looks like you lucked out on the snow. I think a couple of friends were up on the Alpine Loop riding KTM 990s or 690/640s. Any sign of them?
WBBNM: That lift up was a bit challenging at first as I had to spin the bike a bit to get it positioned in a way that would work. The front wheel kept rolling as I lifted, so it took several tries until I had a position that would work.

I think I lucked out on the snow too...just enough to be beautiful. I did not press my luck and try the loop to Engineer as it was not clear to me that it was open and I had lots more to ride that day.

No sign of your buds. The only riders I saw on my entire trip were:

1. Two riders from Oklahoma one on a Super Sherpa, the other on a 450 BMW below Stony Pass and above the Rio Grande Reservoir. They have been going there for years to fish. They helped me fix my broken gear shift lever.

2. Three riders from Little Rock Arkansas on top of Cinnamon Pass, I remember a KLR 650 and not sure what else.

3. Two riders in Northern NM just outside of El Rito one on a KTM 690 (I think) the other on a VStrom both from Idaho and doing the CDT.

4. One solo mystery rider on a KLR or DRZ on the CBCDR between Lake City and KK114. I was stopped taking a photo and he / she did not stop to say hi...not sure why.

Cheers - Pangia