Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

Oddometer: 333
From Jackson, MS to Oceanside, CA and back.

So this trip was actually called The Epic Kill Your Ass Bike Trip, but I changed it at the last minute. My trip with my brother Willi (WLiggy) started on July 3rd after work. My speedometer started at 133138. I only rode to Lake Charles, LA the first night. Only 324 miles from my house to my parents house. Pretty uneventful the whole way there. I arrived at 11:30pm to a really comfortable bed for a few hours. We got up and rode out at 6:30 on July 4th. Our plan was to ride all the way to Las Cruces, NM. Pretty much nothing until we get a few miles past Houston, TX and I-10 come to a dead stop. Holy crap, stop and go, stop and go. The engines start overheating. So we decide to take an exit and get off the interstate and take a detour. The detour takes us on some pretty cool back roads for a bit. Turns out that an 18 wheeler had a leak of a harmful chemical so everything was blocked on the interstate. So we get past all the mess and hop back on I-10 and blast our way trying to get all the way across Texas in a day. We pretty much stopped every 100 to 150 miles in between petrol stops. Everything is going great until we get about 100 miles outside of Fort Stockton, TX. My rear tire decides to lose all pressure and go flat. Handlebars flapping back and fourth. She be flat.

optikalilluzion4 screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 11:36 AM Reason: forgot the photos
optikalilluzion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Thumb

Im wowed. Fucking amazing...............................
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikalilluzion4 View Post
My trip started on July 3rd after work.
And?

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

So we pull over to the side of the road and pull out the tire repair kit out and plug the tire. Thanks to Willi for being prepared having the tire kit and an air compressor. I'm the idiot one and usually don't ride with an emergency kit. Haha, only the way Okie Dokie rides. His compressor is the kind that uses CO2 cartridges to pump up the tire. 8 cartridges later we only got it up to 35lbs of pressure when it is supposed to run 42. Ok, so back on the road and trying to get as far as we can. We decide to get off the road in Fort Stockton and find a gas station that has an air compressor. Right off the exit the tire starts acting up again and I think it's flat again. We pull out the tire gauge and check it and guess what??? Still holding pressure. Holy crap, what could it be??? Well we go to ten gas stations before we find one with an air compressor that works and is lit up enough for us to check things out. We figured out that the bead had unseated a bit and was causing the tire wobble. Ok, so we decide that we need a room and some food for dinner. Our day is at a stand still. Only made it 651 miles that day when the plan was 950 to Las Cruces. So we stayed at Holiday Inn Express for the night and were gonna try and get the tire fixed in the morning.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

7:00am hits and we go across the street to the Ford Dealership, because there are no motorcycle shops in the little town of Fort Stockton. Ok, Ford shop is closed, as was everything else in this town because it was the day after a holiday. We finally find an auto mechanic shop so we can try to over inflat the tire and get the bead to reseat. Well that didn't go so well. The tire exploded and knocked me on my ass. I felt like I had been shot. The closest place that actually had a tire tire that fit my bike was El Paso, 300 miles away. We parked my bike out of the way and took my rear wheel off and strapped it to the back of Willi's bike so he can trek on to get my tire. I got a ride back to the Holiday Inn and sat in the lobby for five hours. Our plan was for him to ride there and back and we push on to Las Cruces. Well he called me when he was half way back and told me to go ahead and book a room again. No need in him pushing to hard. So when Willi got about 30 miles from being back he let me know. I tried to call a taxi and get back to the bike to put the wheel back on. Well, guess what, not a damn taxi in this 3 mile town. Haha. So I grab my helmet and take off walking down the road towards my bike. A really nice guy about our age stopped and gave me a ride back to my bike. His name was Parrish and happened to be from Baton Rouge. Go figure. There are still truly good people in this world. Ok back to the hotel for bed and showers. No big deal, we only lost a day.

From the tire explosion.

optikalilluzion4 screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 07:05 AM Reason: misspelled words. haha
Old 07-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

6:00am rolling out towards Scottsdale, AZ to our friend Derrick's place. The day is going great, but starting to really get hot. We are driving along just passed into Arizona onto some very flat roads with mountains off in the distance. It is starting to get really windy and we were riding sideways. Ok and if that isn't bad enough it starts raining sideways with 30mph winds. This is some pretty tough shit to ride in, but we kept on trucking. We get up into a little mountain pass called Texas Canyon and get off the road at a rest stop to empty our internal tanks, pee break. This place was totally beautiful to look around. This trip is starting get awesome. It's gonna be valleys and mountains the rest if the way. So we make it to Scottsdale at about 5:00pm and get showers and dressed to go to dinner. A pizza place called Streets. This was some of the best pizza I have ever had in my life. Dinner with great food and some great friends was a nice way to break it up a little. Back to Derrick's palace for some sleep to get ready for our last day before getting to Cali.

optikalilluzion4 screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 07:17 PM Reason: forgot the photos
Old 07-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

We leave Derrick's at 6:00am and roll out. We ride down south to hit I-8 that's takes us down through Imperial Sand Dunes into Cali. This dessert is the place where they filmed part of Return Of The Jedi back in the 80's. My family and I were actually riding our three wheelers there while they were filming the movie. They had parts of it barricaded off so we couldn't really see anything, but it's still cool to think about. Well the temperature was up around 115 through the desserts. Before we left on this trip, we got some evaporative cooling vests to wear under our gear. Soak it in water for 2 minutes and it keeps you cool for 2 to 4 hours. These things are freaking awesome. Hard to believe how well they work. We get out of the dessert and start climbing up into the mountains and Willi says, "I bet the temp is gonna get nice soon." Well about two minutes later the temp started dropping and getting nice. We get into San Diego and the traffic is picking up a little, but no biggie. 10 more miles of this and we are in Oceanside, CA. We stayed at the Hyatt Place with my parents and Travis, my son. We showered and parked our bikes in the parking lot for three days of rest.

optikalilluzion4 screwed with this post 08-22-2014 at 11:43 AM Reason: forgot the photos
Old 07-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

Travis, Willi, my mother, and I are driving to Anaheim to go to Disneyland. I haven't been there in 23 years. It was everything I remembered and more. Much better than Walt Disneyworld. This place is way more detailed in every way. The rides are longer and much neater. This is so surreal. We stayed there until 11:30pm. Best day ever with the family. Back to the hotel.

optikalilluzion4 screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 07:21 PM Reason: forgot the photos
Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

We get up and have breakfast at the hotel. Then go swimming for a little bit. Well it's time to shower and get dressed to go see the sights in San Diego. It is neat to see the city again because it is my birth place. We traveled along the hiway that runs along the ocean in gorgeous areas like Carlsbad and La Jolla. We stop at a small parking area and walk to the edge of a cliff like area and look at the beach and do the tourist thing. We drive around a little more and finally find this awesome little cafe that had amazing hamburgers. After that we decide to go shopping at the Factory Outlets for a while. Then about 5:00pm we meet up with our friend Greg Foster. He used to live next door to us when we lived there 33 years ago. He and his wife Lorraine stood a in as my God Parents during my baptism because my actual God Parents could not make it out there from Texas and Louisiana. Greg looks the same except his hair is completely white. We all have stayed close over the years. Now it's time for dinner. We went down to Fisherman's Warf to this the most amazing restaurant called The Fish Market. Damn that's some great seafood we ate that night. After dinner we headed back to the hotel.

This was a picture on the bathroom wall at The Fish Market.

optikalilluzion4 screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 07:14 AM Reason: forgot the photos
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

Ok, enough playing and it's time to hit the road back towards home. Instead of going back the way we came into Cali, we decided to take a different pass back down towards Scottsdale. This pass winded down into Palm Springs. Ok, the views are breath taking. The twisties were scary but awesome. Start descending down in elevation it's getting hot again. Time to pull the cooling best back out. We jump on I-10 that takes us all the way into Phoenix, AZ. Along the way, my bike starts acting funny. Riding along and the engine shuts off. All gauges go dead too. Pull over to side of road and stop. Hit ignition switch and the bike starts back up. Does this about four more times along the way. We figure that is a loose battery connection. We make it back to Derrick's place in Scottsdale, AZ. We take the tank off and check all the wires and find the loose wire and retighten it back to the way it's supposed to be. Time for showers and dinner at a place called Zipps. Great steak sandwich and some wings. Dinner with our buddies again was great. Back on to the house and get ready for bed.

optikalilluzion4 screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 07:28 PM Reason: forgot the photos
Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

Day 8

Time to cover some ground. We head back the way we came up here. The views were as awesome as they were when coming the other day, but no rain this time. We road hard all the way back to Fort Stockton, TX again. We stayed in the same Holiday Inn Express. Well there aren't many choices. Haha.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

Day 9

I-10 all the way back to Lake Charles. It was a nice day. We stopped at Buckey's outside of San Antonio, TX. Big ass gas station and store. I had the best Italian sandwich ever. Ride and ride until we make it till about 11 miles away from my parents house and the bottom falls out. Storm from hell. Make to Mom and Dad's for a tasty steak dinner. Tired as crap decide to go to bed early. Tomorrow is the last day of my trip. It's kinda sad when they come to an end.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

It's hard to get motivated to leave. We went to Starbucks for coffe and some breakfast. Sit there a while and then go home and load back up to leave. Along the way it's the normal ride from Lake Charles to Jackson. Just before the Atchafalaya Basin, 18 mile bridge, the bottom falls out again. Rained all the way to Baton Rouge. Finally it stops and it gets nice and my gear dries out. The rest of the trip sucked because I had had enough. Haha. Well I finally make it home about 6:00pm. This trip was a total of 4500 miles. Holy Shit, we just went all the way to Oceanside, California and back. This was the trip of a lifetime for me. Amazing accomplishment for me. Hope you guys have enjoyed my journey. And as soon as I figure out how to add the photos, I will.

optikalilluzion4 screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 07:29 PM Reason: forgot the photos
Old 07-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,614
Good trip sir. I did the round trip to San Diego last week in 3 days .......by plane. Yours looked much better except fit the tire problem. I'm glad everything worked out!
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
optikalilluzion4 OP
Okie Dokie

Thanks man. We had a blast. That bike of mine is very impressive on these big trip. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk