Ya Buddy!!

You Da Man!!
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #213
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,839
Five Stars *****

Tourist, Thanks for the wonderful report. Your photographs and writing bring to life an unimaginable journey for the rest of us.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #214
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Still absolutely brilliant. Would you mind sharing your workflow out of the camera? You are producing some stunning shots.
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #215
Lawmeister
Long time lurker

Oddometer: 21

What a satisfying end to a wonderful RR. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
'98 Suzuki DR350SE
Lawmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #216
rideonjon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
"terrorist style" awesome.
rideonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #217
Tourist OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Cliff View Post
Thank you TOURIST for sharing. Imagine, if you are under arrested or captured or in deep trouble; how could you get help from NZ? or better not to think about it.
There's a fine line between brave & stupid but i don't consider myself either, ok maybe bordering a little on the stupid side... But looking at Afghanistan from only one sided news reporting and govt. travel security information, you would think the whole country is off limits. Once you get there though and are asking a lot of ppl (maybe 20 a day) about how security is in such and such area, you get a good idea of whats possible. For example when I was in Eshkashem I met trader from Bamiyan, A place that I wanted to visit (Bamiyan itself is safe-just all the roads leading to it aren't) he had told me now the main road to Bamiyan was safe but the closer I got to Kabul everyone was telling me my head would be cut off if i tried, So i thought i should probably not go. Riding from Shugnan to Bahrak, well i really didn't have many options, So i just took a chance on that one. In the chaikhana's where i stayed overnight I would tell the people when they asked I'm going to Kabul but I would never tell them the next town I planned on staying in.

In Kabul its all ok really (for a tourist) well for a week it is, Unlike a contractor I have no fixed schedule, so I'm not seen to leave the Guesthouse everyday at a certain time with an organization that is working against the Taliban so I'm less of a target for being captured. It would only be by chance at night if someone just so happened to be driving past at the same time that might pose a problem, I stayed off the streets as soon as it got dark lessening the risk and really did not think this was a problem. In Kabul there are many local people wearing western clothing So you don't feel out of place and not too many stare at you to make you feel uncomfortable, Some of the share taxis i was in they would think i was from Nooristan province and be talking to me for over a minute or 2 before i would reply in my English, Then they would ask if I'm Turkish... There's no point always thinking about "what if" scenarios. If you are thinking about them then yeah perhaps you stay at home. One factor that might stop me going back next spring is that ISAF is pulling out, perhaps then there will be a lot more fighting.

The police in all the places in between, yeah it was a headache but they were just doing their job and once they understood why I was there they rolled out the welcome mat. Plus they were a great source of security information for the area, So really if they hadn't stopped me I would have has to go knock on their door. When I lived In las vegas I was walking home from the pub one night (1 block-15mins in the burb's) A police car came, sirens on and cut me off and demanded I lay face down on the road with their hand on the gun holster, I was handcuffed then asked "what are you doing?" - "I'm bloody walking home! that's what I'm doing!"

People getting shot at LAX - does that stop people going to Disneyland?...
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #218
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,346
I'd hate to just add another "You Rock" to the long list, but Dude!

This has been so inspiring, I have kept pictures of the Wakan in my desk at work since I read Sambor's piece a few years ago, and I will get there one day, but thanks for taking me along on this ride.

You Rock.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #219
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,304
Amazing story and super great pictures Tourist! Gonna miss your writings and pics. But, with Radioman and Noah still out there, I'll survive till Colebatch or Sambor gets out and about next Summer. Love the stories and pics from that part of the world. Again, Thanks

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #220
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 5,874
Thank you!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #221
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,319
Is it spring yet????? Man, so glad Noah pointed me here....Tourist I really enjoyed your storytelling, viewpoint and photos. They were all quite beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.....be well.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #222
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,664
Thanks for taking us on your adventure, looking forward to part 2.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #223
G_T
abrahcadahbra, holmes

Oddometer: 16
Your ability to take us all along on your adventure is what makes this site special. Thank you for this, it is truly a gift.
G_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #224
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 28,458
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #225
petcul
An Gael Ar Fanach

Oddometer: 21
Just came across this. Brilliant! And the memories it brought back

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ul/1/tpod.html