Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #226
Anciano
Bushpilot

Oddometer: 239
Really appreciate you taking the time to show us your spectacular pics along with your excellent commentary.

Wayne
Anciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #227
Tourist OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Is it spring yet????? Man, so glad Noah pointed me here....Tourist I really enjoyed your storytelling, viewpoint and photos. They were all quite beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.....be well.
Thank you and thanks Noah for directing people here! now while I'm off the road I'll have time to start reading others RR's, looking forward to it
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #228
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Thank you and thanks Noah for directing people here! now while I'm off the road I'll have time to start reading others RR's, looking forward to it
I had to share it. Tajikistan is so beautiful I feel I did not quite do it justice in my report. You really captured the feeling and beauty of this amazing part of the world. Cheers!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #229
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I had to share it. Tajikistan is so beautiful I feel I did not quite do it justice in my report. You really captured the feeling and beauty of this amazing part of the world. Cheers!
Noah, if it wud not of been for you, many would have missed this super fne report. Thanks!

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #230
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Noah, if it wud not of been for you, many would have missed this super fne report. Thanks!
2nd.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #231
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Wow!

Incredible RR, Pictures and story, just incredible! Thank you so much for sharing Tourist. Will be looking for the next edition!
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #232
Angelos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thank you for sharing this,man!Awesome adventure!

Angelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #233
Golden_Cliff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
There's a fine line between brave & stupid but i don't consider myself either, ok maybe bordering a little on the stupid side... But looking at Afghanistan from only one sided news reporting and govt. travel security information, you would think the whole country is off limits. Once you get there though and are asking a lot of ppl (maybe 20 a day) about how security is in such and such area, you get a good idea of whats possible. For example when I was in Eshkashem I met trader from Bamiyan, A place that I wanted to visit (Bamiyan itself is safe-just all the roads leading to it aren't) he had told me now the main road to Bamiyan was safe but the closer I got to Kabul everyone was telling me my head would be cut off if i tried, So i thought i should probably not go. Riding from Shugnan to Bahrak, well i really didn't have many options, So i just took a chance on that one. In the chaikhana's where i stayed overnight I would tell the people when they asked I'm going to Kabul but I would never tell them the next town I planned on staying in.

In Kabul its all ok really (for a tourist) well for a week it is, Unlike a contractor I have no fixed schedule, so I'm not seen to leave the Guesthouse everyday at a certain time with an organization that is working against the Taliban so I'm less of a target for being captured. It would only be by chance at night if someone just so happened to be driving past at the same time that might pose a problem, I stayed off the streets as soon as it got dark lessening the risk and really did not think this was a problem. In Kabul there are many local people wearing western clothing So you don't feel out of place and not too many stare at you to make you feel uncomfortable, Some of the share taxis i was in they would think i was from Nooristan province and be talking to me for over a minute or 2 before i would reply in my English, Then they would ask if I'm Turkish... There's no point always thinking about "what if" scenarios. If you are thinking about them then yeah perhaps you stay at home. One factor that might stop me going back next spring is that ISAF is pulling out, perhaps then there will be a lot more fighting.

The police in all the places in between, yeah it was a headache but they were just doing their job and once they understood why I was there they rolled out the welcome mat. Plus they were a great source of security information for the area, So really if they hadn't stopped me I would have has to go knock on their door. When I lived In las vegas I was walking home from the pub one night (1 block-15mins in the burb's) A police car came, sirens on and cut me off and demanded I lay face down on the road with their hand on the gun holster, I was handcuffed then asked "what are you doing?" - "I'm bloody walking home! that's what I'm doing!"

People getting shot at LAX - does that stop people going to Disneyland?...
Thank you TOURIST for reply. Wish you all the best.
Golden_Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:36 AM   #234
Redkrouge
Independent

Oddometer: 102
Merci beaucoup

I thought ET was returned home, NO, he wanders through the streets of Kabul
Bravo
Redkrouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #235
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Thumb Top

Mate you're now up there with Metal Jockey, Colebatch and RTW Doug, might even be better nah it is better it's the best
I envy you your courage and the fact that you have done something out of the ordinary and spending chicken feed at that ,

But I can't see how you made it without Starbucks, a Klim suit and all the other high tech gear we wanna be adventurers schlep around.
I think of my up and coming motor bike trip to South America as an adventure, or rather I tought so, you have lifted the words Adventure Rider to a new level.
I take my hat of to you Sir and salute you!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #236
Monday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Really enjoyed your adventure, thank you!
Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #237
Starstruck
Zoner

Oddometer: 45
Outstanding!

Wonderful story - terrific pictures. I hope you go back for round two. After all, you haven't made it to Herat...or through the Khyber Pass....yet...

What you've seen will stick with you throughout your life...congrats.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #238
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
When I lived In las vegas I was walking home from the pub one night (1 block-15mins in the burb's) A police car came, sirens on and cut me off and demanded I lay face down on the road with their hand on the gun holster, I was handcuffed then asked "what are you doing?" - "I'm bloody walking home! that's what I'm doing!"

People getting shot at LAX - does that stop people going to Disneyland?...
you lived in Vegas??? sweet! where at?
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #239
panthertattoo
GSridersNorthGreece

Oddometer: 57
amazing.,.,.,.,.,.,
panthertattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #240
Tourist OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
you lived in Vegas??? sweet! where at?

It was a few years ago now out west in Summerlin for 10 months... But I found, The nicest places in Vegas are actually outside of it.

Tourist screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 12:59 AM
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote