Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #166
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
These riders got on the road with the premeditated intent to participate in illegal, dangerous, and disruptive activities on a public road, using intimidation and harassment to achieve their goal.
When they suffered the consequences of their choice, they responded by attacking, pursuing, and committing assault.

One lone man protecting his family from an angry, out of control mob of 20 to 30, the final outcome simply confirmed his fears.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #167
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
well it needs to be worked out, i suppose. but as riders and for some of you....drivers....i know many of you YOU would have handled your fear differently

i know i would have. i mean....sheesh!

it seems this guy helped cause to happen what he feared was going to happen. and it did!. because of his actions he got beat up, really
I would be interested to read how YOU would of handled your fear differently as the RR driver or for that matter as the bikers also. Does it also seem to you that the gang/group of bikers also played a part in the injuries that they received?
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #168
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,193
Quote:
can't we ride how we like as long as we are in our lane and not being reckless. if 20 motorcycles are riding in formation
There are some videos on the net taken before the Range Rover incident, and from those you can tell with 100% certainty, that the riders were NOT staying on their lanes (in fact they didn´t seem to have a clue, what a lane is), and that they did not ride in a formation. It was more like a zoo on the road. Also when the incident with the RR starts, there are bikes all over the place, using the whole width of the road. Maybe that´s what got the first monkey pissed, he probably thought cars should go to the shoulder as their bold parade of assholes passes by.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #169
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Here is a media source siding with the thugs and an interview with one of the idiots involved. He says it all started because the RR driver cut some of them off.
http://www.rightthisminute.com//vide...v-incident-nyc
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #170
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Here is a media source siding with the thugs and an interview with one of the idiots involved. He says it all started because the RR driver cut some of them off.
http://www.rightthisminute.com//vide...v-incident-nyc
In what universe does getting cut off in traffic justify assault and battery?
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #171
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
In what universe does getting cut off in traffic justify assault and battery?
I was getting onto the interstate in the middle of nowhere in Utah once and 5 guys on Harleys roared past me on the right while I still on the on ramp. I just got on the freeway and set the cruise at 80, two of the riders were going slower so I passed them then changed back to the right lane. When the guys in front saw that they slowed down and two of them got on either side of me flipping me off and pointing for me to pull over I guess. I just slowed down to 65 and they eventually got bored and sped off.
I didn't know that it was taboo to get between the riders in a group and I wasn't about to pull over. If just five guys together emboldens people like that I can't imagine what it does with all of those idiots together.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #172
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Having read this thread through (but not watched the other attachments) some questions come to mind:
1. How do you get 205 idiots on bikes to come together to create this sort of mayhem? My best guess is that there is some sort of affiliation between a number sport bike outlaw groups - which I didn't know even existed - thought the outlaws all rode Harleys.
2. Watching that first video, I was SURE I would bikes crashing into each other. Dozens of examples of riding which scared me for the riders; never mind the SUV. They are either skilled (though dumb) or were very lucky.
3. What would you do if this hoard of riders appeared in your mirrors if you were on your bike or in your car? I hope I would pull as far off the road as possible and let the show pass. Did anyone with a cell phone do exactly that?

My most recent motorcycle trip featured a lot of rain and a bike with intermittent problems maintaining power - much of that over mountain passes. In this 700 mile trip I was often afraid the bike would quit (it didn't) but not ONE motorist followed too closely, cut me off, or did anything else stupid that threatened my safety.

Good to think about how to handle stupid behavior - because it will happen - but know that not everybody out there is an idiot or out to get you.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #173
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,537
As I understand it, this was a quasi-organized (illegal) ride to Times Square by stunters. (hollywoodstuntz blog) Which included unplated four wheelers and dirt bikes, bikes with plates removed, and riders on their plated bikes going along to watch the show.

Bikes were entering the city from all directions and the police were aware of and distributed to try to control the mayhem. One report indicated there were 15 arrests and 55 bikes impounded around the city that were unrelated to the incident with Mr. Lien.

This particular group of misfits had decided to shut down a stretch of freeway by getting across all lanes and slowing until all traffic was stopped. They were also blocking on ramps. The plan was to then go stunting on the empty freeway and make videos for their Facebook pages, blog, or whatever floats their boat.

Mr. Lien apparently drove though an open spot, or, for whatever reason continued on down the freeway and they went after him as he was spoiling their fun by driving into their playground. (at this point they could have just let him go and had their fun blocking the freeway and stunting, but no ...)

At some point he calls 911, and one report indicates that he shows the phone to a rider to let him know he is calling the police.

At this point they surround him, brake check him, get him stopped and barricaded, then begin to slash tires, hit his vehicle with helmets and scare the crap out of him and his family. (He was celebrating his first anniversary by taking a drive with his wife and 2 year old child)

This is where the video starts. He is being forced to a stop and these hoodlums attack his vehicle with what appears to be intent to do harm to it and possibly the occupants.

With this additional background info gleaned from a variety of sources, does it paint the picture in a shade that might show the riders brought upon themselves the eventualities being discussed?

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 07:19 AM
MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #174
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
Having read this thread through (but not watched the other attachments) some questions come to mind:
1. How do you get 205 idiots on bikes to come together to create this sort of mayhem?
It was a loosely "organized" event.

Maybe not planned quite the way it turned out though. I think a few thugs started acting like thugs then the rest just joined the "mob" mentality.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #175
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,585
Quote:
kommando did you not see the vid of the SUV guy flooring the truck from a dead stop, taking down all in his path? how much more damage need he do for his fear?
He needed to back up and get a running start.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #176
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
1. How do you get 205 idiots on bikes to come together to create this sort of mayhem? My best guess is that there is some sort of affiliation between a number sport bike outlaw groups - which I didn't know even existed - thought the outlaws all rode Harleys.
2. Watching that first video, I was SURE I would bikes crashing into each other. Dozens of examples of riding which scared me for the riders; never mind the SUV. They are either skilled (though dumb) or were very lucky.
3. What would you do if this hoard of riders appeared in your mirrors if you were on your bike or in your car? I hope I would pull as far off the road as possible and let the show pass. Did anyone with a cell phone do exactly that?
This group had scheduled a ride into Times Square. In past years they attracted groups from up and down the east coast - as many as 1,000. And they attacked another motorist in 2011.

This year the police were prepared to prevent this and set up road blocks and took other actions to break up the "Ride" and the other videos show this group (I don't think that was all of them) through a series of neighborhoods and up to the event.

Many of the participants were doing so with bikes without a license plate and you can always tell when one is coming up because sportbike thefts spike.

If you watch the other videos you'll see it's "biker madness." There are guys wheelieing all over, guys on quads, guys riding through oncoming traffic on the wrong side, etc etc.

Regardless of what initiated the chain of events, the RR driver did not respond well. His best action might have been to stay where he was and call 911: there were other cars nearby. Second, lock the friggin doors! Once he started moving, the expert advice was to stay on the highway, driving slowly, and trying to attract police attention. Even if as reported they'd slashed his tires, there was very little they could do to him once moving - other than another suicidal brake check.

Several justifications have been offered for the initial response: that the driver had changed lanes abruptly and cut off part of the group, that he'd hit a pedestrian, that his wife threw a water bottle at one, etc. The riders the police have detained have not been cooperative, although now that one has been arrested and a string of charges thrown at him, he may find it easier t0 talk.

The kid hospitalized is a "rapper" (with a police record) from Lawrence, MA. His father is an Evangelist Minister. There are a whole lot of people who wish they hadn't been there by now.

About the young man who was run over and may be paralyzed.

Quote:
Though Mieses is a Massachusetts resident, he has never had a valid Massachusetts driver’s license for a passenger vehicle and has never applied for a motorcycle license, the Registry of Motor Vehicles said.

Registry records show that Mieses applied for a learner’s permit in 1999 and 2000, but that he never obtained a full license because he failed to pay fines imposed after he was ticketed for speeding in Lawrence in 1999. His last contact with the Registry was in 2001, when he obtained an identification card, registry records show.

Since 1999, he has been ticketed by police 16 times, in Lawrence, Methuen, Roxbury, Andover, and New Hampshire, according to registry records.

In June, the Registry notified the National Driver Register that Mieses was a habitual traffic offender whose right to drive in Massachusetts was revoked until 2017, records show.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...BaL/story.html

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #177
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
It was a loosely "organized" event.

Maybe not planned quite the way it turned out though. I think a few thugs started acting like thugs then the rest just joined the "mob" mentality.
You mean like an ADV Rally. Where nothing bad ever happens and everybody follows the law & behaves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #178
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 304
I feel the best thing the RR driver could have done was stay home that day. If he really decided to go out that day the next best thing to do would have been to have the RR tricked out as a Presidential limo would be.

Easterner screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 07:47 AM
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #179
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterner View Post
I feel the best thing the RR could have done was stay home that day. If he really decided to go out that day the next best thing to do would to have the RR tricked out as a Presidential limo would be.
Spiked hub extension and other Mad Max accouterments.

The bikers actions certainly reminds one of Mel Gibson films when they were still good.

I am amazed that more riders were not hurt or killed, they certainly put themselves in harms way by their actions.

As other posters have said, were I the driver of the RR, doors would have been locked, calls made to 911 (which apparently were made), camera video recording by passenger and then..............go forward, turn left, turn right, back up, but never, never stop, just keep going through the angry mob, it is now a matter of survival.

Those who get chewed up deserved it and I hope there are many, many more charges laid.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #180
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,237
Why the driver didn't floor it in full reverse at the end of the vid isn't clear to me but it would have been my next action upon buddy smashing my window. Hard reverse, 180 turn, and full fwd. Car v. bike for usual outcome. I side with the RR driver on this one.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote