Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #181
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
As for the unlocked RR, a lot of vehicles have a "feature" that unlocks the doors when the transmission is shifted into Park. I suspect that is why the thugs were able to open the door on the freeway.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #182
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,943
Where were the Cops????

Those bikers should have been prevented from terrorizing the streets like this. They could have been corralled and detained In mass. I'm sure the Patriot Act empowers cops to control groups with whatever means necessary.

Too bad this didn't take place in DC. The military would have pounded those thugs.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #183
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
These riders got on the road with the premeditated intent to participate in illegal, dangerous, and disruptive activities on a public road, using intimidation and harassment to achieve their goal.
When they suffered the consequences of their choice, they responded by attacking, pursuing, and committing assault.

One lone man protecting his family from an angry, out of control mob of 20 to 30, the final outcome simply confirmed his fears.
I'm hoping that people in cars will start giving us motorcyclists a lot more space and respect on the road because of incidents like this. Fear is a good motivator.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #184
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Where were the Cops????

Those bikers should have been prevented from terrorizing the streets like this. They could have been corralled and detained In mass. //
The police were deployed to keep them out of Times Square.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #185
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
I'm hoping that people in cars will start giving us motorcyclists a lot more space and respect on the road because of incidents like this. Fear is a good motivator.
I think you're exactly wrong. That group of bikers painted targets on the backs of every group of bikers that ride together..... and 'more respect'???
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #186
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 215
Sad sad incident. That said, regarding the paralyzed young man, anybody who stops their vehicle in the travel lane of a highway for the purpose of participating in road rage has put themselves at a very very large risk for death or injury.
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #187
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
More space and respect? I don't know where you live but for the most part people in cars respect most bikers, it's only a few that don't.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #188
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 607
Pissed

Screwing with people in any way while riding a motorcycle is stupid. It does not matter if they are driving a car, truck, suv, or on a bike, or bicycle, or walking etc. It is NEVER necessary to mess with people for ANY reason. It accomplishes nothing positive. Doing so only brings ire towards all in the motorcycling community. This results in trail closings, anti-MC legislation, etc. If you can't ride nice, don't ride at all.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #189
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 407
I have watched the video including video of bikes going over and riding against traffic in the wrong lane on surface streets. I have seen the lack of license plates and the presence of motorcycles that cannot be ridden on the street legally. This looks to me as a bunch of out of control people on motorcycles.

The person who "brake checks" the SUV is just plain stupid. Now these motorcyclists (I hate using that word here) are demanding revenge.

This all is a great example of why I do not participate even in organized rides, why I am uncomfortable in any group of more than 1 or 2 friends riding along with me. It seems to me that the more people that are present on a ride, the stupider everyone gets.

I do have compassion for the SUV driver and his family. I do have compassion for the motorcyclists injured that day. It was possible that the SUV driver panicked and did something he will think about for the rest of his life. The injured motorcyclists, they will regret this for a long time. One of them will regret this for the rest of his life if the reports of him being a paraplegic are true.

I hope that this "group" of "stunters" stop this behavior. I don't expect that they will, but I do hope they do.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #190
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
I really think the mother and wife of the injured rider need to very carefully consider how they approach this. The FB page dedicated to the guy calls for prosecution of the SUV driver.

The page also points out that he has two children, aged 9 and 15. Their father is now paralyzed and may not survive. What lesson will those kids learn from this?

What they should learn is that there are consequences for every action. Let's assume the mother and wife are totally correct and their beloved man was simply stopping to help a downed biker. Let's assume for a moment that he wasn't getting off his bike and coming toward the Range Rover in a menacing manner. Let's even pretend that he broke no laws on the road and was on a legal bike with tags and was not "stunting" up and down the road. Let's pretend he was just part of a group ride.

The fact still remains that he was riding with some VERY dangerous thugs who clearly were threatening the life of the Rover driver. They slashed his tires and hit his truck with their helmets. They put a lot of lives in jeopardy by surrounding the Rover. The Rover driver did the only thing reasonable and that was to escape.

The lesson for the kids is to be careful with whom you associate. Don't ride with thugs because your life could quickly end due to things beyond your control.

Of course, if the injured rider was a thug himself and not so innocent as his mother thinks, the lesson is: Live like a thug and you'll die like a thug and nobody except thugs will have any sympathy.

If mom and wife don't teach this lesson, the kids are doomed to a life of thuggery and a lack of understanding of choices and consequences.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #191
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Young men in groups are like dogs in a pack; sweet little Fifi when in a pack of other dogs will gladly bring down a deer, kill neighborhood cats, even attack a child. We guys (yes, I am including myself) loose about 40 IQ points when in a group... and can get more aggressive.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #192
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
This whole situation pisses me right the fk off! I certainly side with the driver and would have probably taken out a few more when on the hwy. This has my blood boiling today.

This puts icing on the cake for me...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justi...11664345601619

Fkng douche bag criminal thugs with a criminal mindset! "It wasn't me, it was the one armed man!" Blame it on their victim to try and get away with it. The videos that were posted of the situation just shows their intent and absolute disregard to public peace and safety.

Many of you have already spoken my thoughts in a more eloquent manner, so I'll just use this opportunity to vent a little.

Also worth noting, its a good thing that this didn't happen in Texas.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #193
Sikorsky
The Man.

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail View Post

This puts icing on the cake for me...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justi...11664345601619

Fkng douche bag criminal thugs with a criminal mindset! "It wasn't me, it was the one armed man!" Blame it on their victim to try and get away with it. The videos that were posted of the situation just shows their intent and absolute disregard to public peace and safety.
I see the FB page has +17,000 "likes". I can't tell if the likes are to support the poor, unlicensed rider engaged in highly illegal activities while wearing a Nazi helmet; or a thumbs up that the guy got what he deserved.
Sikorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #194
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715
This is what happens in a victim disarmament zone. Gangs are a problem whenever the populace is disarmed.
The cops aren't there to protect you. An armed society is a polite society.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #195
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I really think the mother and wife of the injured rider need to very carefully consider how they approach this. The FB page dedicated to the guy calls for prosecution of the SUV driver.

The page also points out that he has two children, aged 9 and 15. Their father is now paralyzed and may not survive. What lesson will those kids learn from this?

What they should learn is that there are consequences for every action. Let's assume the mother and wife are totally correct and their beloved man was simply stopping to help a downed biker. //
OK, can I give you one fact that might temper these assumptions? The guy has been arrested for motor vehicle offenses 16 times - and doesn't have a license. Most recently in May: "At 1:48 p.m., Edwin Mieses Jr., 32, of 478 Riverside Drive, Lawrence, was arrested on Haverhill Street and charged with operating a motor vehicle with a revoked license, subsequent offense."

He's been arrested for other reasons as well. This is not someone who is living the life of a law-abiding citizen.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote