Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #241
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Haven't read the entire thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not, but there was some one commenting on one of the news articles about how these guys are an actual gang gang, not just a motorcycle gang. They will brake check a vehicle then when the vehicle pulls over, they will dismount their bikes, act as if they are mad and rob the vehicle, they then slash the tires. This has happens commonly from gangs similar to this as well as this one. It's a practice they use to either sue for insurance money or rob the people, depending on the mood they are in and how the event transpires.

I watch the video and can't help but think, if my family was in that range rover I would have probably killed 90% of them before we ever came to a stop, anywhere after they made an attack on my family. NO ONE, ever, for any reason threatens my loved ones. On the highway I would have ran them all into the median / off the highway and brake checked them hard enough to seriously damage them. Basically, think Grand Theft Auto style, that would have been me.

It's a damn shame that only ONE biker was paralyzed. These are not "motorcyclists" they are gang members on motorcycles, giving good motorcyclists a bad name and endangering sport bike riders around the area. It's New York we're talking about, I'd hate to be the innocent sport biker who accidentally cuts some one off for the next few mon-years? They'll get plowed down...
Old 10-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #242
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
Haven't read the entire thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not, but there was some one commenting on one of the news articles about how these guys are an actual gang gang, not just a motorcycle gang. They will brake check a vehicle then when the vehicle pulls over, they will dismount their bikes, act as if they are mad and rob the vehicle, they then slash the tires. This has happens commonly from gangs similar to this as well as this one. It's a practice they use to either sue for insurance money or rob the people, depending on the mood they are in and how the event transpires.//.
Citation needed. These are by no means choir boys and some of them have been uncooperative with police. but some of the participants have already come forward with video as well. There were a bunch of "crews" involved, from up and down the east coast, brown, black and white, and weekend wannabes to "Stunt Cunts" to genuinely bad actors.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #243
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
It's a damn shame that only ONE biker was paralyzed. These are not "motorcyclists" they are gang members on motorcycles, giving good motorcyclists a bad name and endangering sport bike riders around the area. It's New York we're talking about, I'd hate to be the innocent sport biker who accidentally cuts some one off for the next few mon-years? They'll get plowed down...
Forget months or years, I have cagers giving me the stink-eye TODAY because of these kinds of riders. Luckily I only have a 17-mile commute on secondary roads, so there's a group of 'regulars' that recognize me and my Hi-Viz jacket and plodding DRZ, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of cagers can't differentiate between a t-shirt and shorts-wearing mouth-breather on a sport bike and an otherwise responsible rider.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #244
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Cities fucking suck. The roads suck, the people in them suck and the riding sucks.
pittsburgh rocks. riding in pittsburgh is fun. the people are cool for the most part. the roads suck, but i ride a DRZ, so that just makes it more fun.

i ride in pittsburgh every day. i can count on one hand how many times i've had someone intentionally endanger me...in fact, i can count that on one finger. people are just idiots from time to time, but not all that often.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #245
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
Forget months or years, I have cagers giving me the stink-eye TODAY because of these kinds of riders. Luckily I only have a 17-mile commute on secondary roads, so there's a group of 'regulars' that recognize me and my Hi-Viz jacket and plodding DRZ, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of cagers can't differentiate between a t-shirt and shorts-wearing mouth-breather on a sport bike and an otherwise responsible rider.

Yup, I'm really worried about the backlash that these cock holes are going to cause against us regular riders. I go into the 28th precinct on a weekly basis logging claims against these stunt-cunts and NYPD just sits there and gives me a sob story of how they can't go after them.... I've literally stood in the precinct holding the door open one time so the officers inside can watch the stuntaz zip by in groups of 20+ and no NYPD moved to do anything...

If they can't get a ticket and revenue out of it, NYPD is not interested, or to be more accurate Bloomturd and Kelley aren't interested, NYPD have a lot of great guys and gals on the force but a crappy boss.

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/

jachard screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 06:33 PM
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #246
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Cities fucking suck. The roads suck, the people in them suck and the riding sucks.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #247
tucsondude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
New scenario, (based off OP GOPR2900 video).

Big Body builder Bob, picks a fight with Rob Twigman saying he is going to kill Rob. Rob picks up a club and swings wildly to keep Bob at bay, while disregarding gathering crowd. Rob accidentally hit Joe, a witness standing in the way (who was just released after serving a sentence). Joe is a vegetable.

Who is guilty and what are the charges?

I personally think Rob and Bob are equally guilty of Joes damage. Bob is additionally guilty of picking the fight/threatening Rob. Joe(however a POS for unrelated stuff) is the victim, and in no way deserving.

One thing the above scenario does not cover is how riders 30 ft in front of the range rover immediately started slowing down, if not slowing down before the brake check.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #248
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 396
I don't even feel comfortable standing near the nose of a parked car, let alone a running vehicle with an intimidated man inside who is under attack.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #249
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondude View Post

Big Body builder Bob, picks a fight with Rob Twigman saying he is going to kill Rob. Rob picks up a club and swings wildly to keep Bob at bay, while disregarding gathering crowd. Rob accidentally hit Joe, a witness standing in the way (who was just released after serving a sentence). Joe is a vegetable.

I personally think Rob and Bob are equally guilty of Joes damage. Bob is additionally guilty of picking the fight/threatening Rob. Joe(however a POS for unrelated stuff) is the victim, and in no way deserving.

One thing the above scenario does not cover is how riders 30 ft in front of the range rover immediately started slowing down, if not slowing down before the brake check.
It depends on the laws in the state of the occurrence, but the initial instigator should/would usually be held responsible for all damages, unless the other person resorted to unreasonable and purposeful means or extent of destruction in stopping the imminent threat to their safety. In Illinois, the charges against Bob could be assault against Rob and manslaughter against Joe. Bob instigated, through illegal actions, the events that ultimately caused the injuries to Joe. Rob used reasonable and legal means in attempting to defend himself against reasonably-imminent death or serious bodily injury. Rob did not instigate the violence. He was not purposely targeting Joe. He was forced into using violent means of defending himself by Bob's illegal actions, and had no criminal intent.

Kommando screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 09:11 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #250
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,110
Squids with hidden plates, many with licenses suspended & long history with the police, plenty of video evidence of those very same people doing a lot of reckless riding in traffic earlier that day... and then acting like a proper gang of criminals, when that SUV incident took place.

..How do I get the feeling, that this whole thing is not gonna go down very well for them in court.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #251
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,744
Ridden to work last two days. Zero problems, unless you count the HD rider cruising in the left-hand lane with two lanes empty to the right.

In 1986 I had a little old lady almost hit me and then when I pointed out she almost killed me, said "So what - you're a motorcyclist." I responded "Is that what you would say to my mother?" And she apologized. Not a new problem and in fact, I think less of a problem than when I first started riding in 1980.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #252
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondude View Post

You can't be part of a group behaving like this and then also be an innocent bystander when someone gets hurt.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 AM   #253
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
You can't be part of a group behaving like this and then also be an innocent bystander when someone gets hurt.
This.
I think part of what led up to the driver just taking off was the gathering mob, in the latter part of the video you can see the window on his wifes door was smashed, I think that occurred earlier in the incident (you don't see anyone there prior)

This really drives home the point of "When seconds count, police are just minutes away"

It's sad for all parties really, but none of it would've happened if people showed eachother a little courtesy and respect.

Someone else said it already, "Live like a thug, Die like a thug" If you're gonna be a badass you gotta be ready to meet someone badder.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #254
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,809
If gangs of idiots terrorized the streets around here like that they would become targets ASAP. If the cops refused to deal with them, the public would volunteer.

GlennR screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 04:38 PM
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #255
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385

I think I have watched all the available video of the day. Anyone who didn't want to be a part of the "gang" had ample time to recognize the situation as a bad one and abandon the group.

Knowing that this type of behavior had been going on for some time, maybe hours, before the final incident makes one wonder why there weren't more injuries or even deaths that resulted from the lawlessness.

I did hear one siren during one of the videos, but did not see any police vehicles. I think the police are culpable in that they made no appearance or visible effort to stop the actions. It will be interesting if 911 calls are pulled together and made public.

If running red light after red light, blasting through stop signs, riding on sidewalks, weaving through vehicles in the opposing lane, riding unlicensed vehicles, and vehicles with tags removed, all in an unsafe and intimidating manner on city streets and highways does not bring out the police then we are living in a new period of time. This type of behavior should bring out all the stops by our law enforcement agencies. If people who would act this way believe they can do it and go unpunished it will only spread and get much worse.

Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote