Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #766
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
As I understand it:

1. Reports indicate NYPD were aware of the event and had roadblocks set up on approaches to Times Square (the destination). They arrested 16 and confiscated 55 bikes at these roadblocks.

2. NYPD has published statements that they have a non-pursuit policy in regard to stunters. They do not respond to 911 calls regarding this activity to ensure the safety of other drivers, pedestrians, and of the stunters themselves.

Go figure.
Betcha that policies going to be changed for the future!

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #767
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post

I'll give the riders some benefit of the doubt
That's more than I would give them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post

2. NYPD has published statements that they have a non-pursuit policy in regard to stunters. They do not respond to 911 calls regarding this activity to ensure the safety of other drivers, pedestrians, and of the stunters themselves.

Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
Betcha that policies going to be changed for the future!

It should be "open season" for rabid animals roaming the city on bikes.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #768
DWiley
n00b

Oddometer: 8
What I don't understand is, if the police knew it was going to happen, why deter them from getting to Times Square. Make sure all the traffic cams are working, video them in Times Square acting like fools and breaking the law, then lock down the square, break out the flexi-cuffs and bust all the ones they can. You would have them all in one place, with video for evidence, instead of having them roaming all over the city causing mayhem. Sure, it may cause a riot and you may get the stray off-duty cop here and there but what the hell, it might have worked. Doubt they would have ever tried to come back to Times Square.
DWiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #769
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
The next time they decide to do this kind of asshat-ridefest, is definitely gonna be interesting.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #770
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWiley View Post
What I don't understand is, if the police knew it was going to happen, why deter them from getting to Times Square. Make sure all the traffic cams are working, video them in Times Square acting like fools and breaking the law, then lock down the square, break out the flexi-cuffs and bust all the ones they can. You would have them all in one place, with video for evidence, instead of having them roaming all over the city causing mayhem. Sure, it may cause a riot and you may get the stray off-duty cop here and there but what the hell, it might have worked. Doubt they would have ever tried to come back to Times Square.
Interesting idea, basically get them all into an area where they can be "kettled" and then break out the barricades, riot squads, sound weapons, and cans of whoopass.

I like it, but unfortunately the strategy of the city seemed to be to keep them out of the square and dispersed where they (authorities claim) could not be safely contained and arrested.

But as an earlier poster pointed out, many crossed over choke points like bridges and had there been a political and bureaucratic will to do something effective, the whole sad mess could and should have been stopped before anyone or any Range Rover, was hurt.

The NYPD masters were very prepared to sacrifice the rest of the city and populace to fangs of the wolf pack in the interests of protecting Times Square.

Seems to be that it is not only errant detectives that need looking at by Internal Affairs and the Mayor's Office.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #771
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
I think a few guys in riot gear knocking over bikers with shields would have stopped this pretty quick.

BUT, trapping them in Times square would also create huge liability for the city if innocent people got hurt in the Melee. I just think they need to position a few small squads around the route, when they bunch up in traffic run out with a Louisville slugger and knock a couple of these guys right on their ass.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #772
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I think a few guys in riot gear knocking over bikers with shields would have stopped this pretty quick.

BUT, trapping them in Times square would also create huge liability for the city if innocent people got hurt in the Melee. I just think they need to position a few small squads around the route, when they bunch up in traffic run out with a Louisville slugger and knock a couple of these guys right on their ass.
No liability issues doing that?
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #773
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Quote:

You are right in saying they wanted to avoid innocent folk getting in the middle.

But I still think Times Square was protected for the sake of tourist dollars and press, while the rest of the city was left unprotected.

Every other year, nothing newsworthy came of it and they assumed this luck would hold.

What really amazes me is that no one has previously been hurt (or reported in media to be) during these riots. Even the fact the Stuntazz have apparently not killed or maimed themselves doing this stuff.

Most of us ride in a city and accept the risk of normal traffic but we all know someone who has been hit by a left turner who "didn't see him" or rear ended at a light, but what these guys were doing in the video was way beyond crazy; someone was going to get hurt for sure, just a matter of time.

We can be forever grateful the Dumb Stuntz were foolish enough to GoPro it all and then post it on Ytube!!!!

Old 10-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #774
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterner View Post
No liability issues doing that?
No more than apprehending anyone else that's running from the cops.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #775
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

These guys do put the police in a tough spot.

It's like when there's a cop killer. Cops do not go out of their way to treat them with respect and make sure they get miranda.

On the one hand, there's a little bit of retaliation.

But on the other the Cops will say "look, if he's willing to kill a cop what else will he do?" when they go after a cop killer they go hard and nobody really expects the guy to get arrested instead of dead. It's just the way it is.

These guys are not stopping for lights, signs or cops, every last one of them was in that ride for the express purpose of breaking the law and running from cops. I don't think they need to stand in the middle of the road and yell 'halt' just wack em with a bat.

Treat them like a herd of cattle & round em up!
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #776
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,381
Quote:

These guys are not stopping for lights, signs or cops, every last one of them was in that ride for the express purpose of breaking the law and running from cops. I don't think they need to stand in the middle of the road and yell 'halt' just wack em with a bat.

Treat them like a herd of cattle & round em up!
A few well placed snipers could have stopped the whole mess.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #777
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,007
It would have been very simple to capture the group, or a large portion of it, on the expressway. Just block the front & rear and they're trapped between the concrete barriers.

A steel cable stretched across the road, at about 42" high would have permanently stopped the first few rows of em' Pit Bulls could have been released behind the group...Bikers love Pit Bulls!

Heck, Gitmo is still open, right? Ship them to Cuba for a decade or so.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #778
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,845
1. spike strips would have gone a long way to get the ride stopped..no matter where it was.

2. There was an off duty cop involved.....and captured on video also assaulting the vehicle. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/08...r-gang-attack/
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #779
Jedl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWiley View Post
I like this idea. No doubt it would have taken a concerted effort of both the NYPD and possibly the NYFD to effectively contain the whole group (block all potential exits). But they could have had plenty of video evidence (if they pre-load the square with extra cameras & arm UC's with GoPro's) and then just ID process each of the participants one by one. Keep them there until all are either processed and identified by helmet / clothing / bike / license and lock-up the ones they cannot ID and the ones riding stolen / unlicensed / untagged / illegal bikes.

Alternatively / additionally - since these thugs are such attention-whores, hundreds of citizens could just shoot video of each rider with their ride with a good face shot for use later on versus the footage from traffic / security cameras. Since these guys want to be documented so badly, just document them into oblivion. The cheap video thing swings both ways.
Jedl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #780
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 646

Hmmm...no convenient cliffs in NYC but maybe the docks!?

You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
I only subscribe to the Girl on an old motorcycle: Post your pics! thread for the comments!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote