User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #31
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
>At least it doesn't make a mess like slime and fix-a-flat.<

Good point! Ride-On seems to be water soluble and does not make a mess at all. Washes right out of the dismounted tire.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #32
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
>At least it doesn't make a mess like slime and fix-a-flat.<

Good point! Ride-On seems to be water soluble and does not make a mess at all. Washes right out of the dismounted tire.
Tell me about cleaning fixed-a-flat wheels. Took me over an hour and very sore fingers not long ago.And too much brake cleaner for my liking. The beads all clumped together, that was also interesting.Darn POs...

Got to look at the application procedure for Ride-On. Is that pour,spin and expect the best? Maybe could be painted on before mounting the tire for even distribution???

And maybe check the compatibility with my tire lube, wouldn't want to break up the Ride-On or clump it.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #33
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride-On is added through the valve stem in the recommended amount. It will naturally initially pool at the low spot in the tire. Ride the bike for a mile or two and it distributes arounf the inside of the tire. You will notice it for the first couple of miles but probably never notice it again.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #34
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,318
Just a little update. I put Ride-on in a new set of T-63s for the DRZ and took one trip back in mid July (5 days). I just now got the opportunity to ride it again here at the end of October. So the bike has been sitting on the tender unmoved for that long. It's time to winterize, so I took it out for a spin for an hour or so before getting to it. I was a little apprehensive about the sealant thinking it may have settled to the bottom of the tire with the intention of remaining there. To my pleasant surprise, the bike is still silky smooth at (made so by the goop - bad vibes before) and hadn't lost ANY air pressure! Still 2 big thumbs up from this rider

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,874
People really over think this kind of stuff. Put it in the tires and go ride. Its not magic.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #36
InsideThePerimeter
North GA bound

Oddometer: 140
I've used it in all my bikes with no problems.

If you Don't Believe in Freedom For All -You Don't Believe in Freedom at All
InsideThePerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 570
Tubed vs. Tubeless

IMHO balance/sealers should only be used in tubed tires to prevent sudden deflation. The tubed wheel/tire should be balanced with weights prior to adding the sealer. Once sealer is added weight balancing is impossible.

Tubeless tires do not suddenly deflate when punctured and can easily be plugged so there is no need for a sealer.

A good balancer is not that expensive and will be paid for the first time you mount and balance your tires. http://www.marcparnes.com/
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #38
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post

Tubeless tires do not suddenly deflate when punctured and can easily be plugged so there is no need for a sealer.
Now that wasn't my experience just out of Yellowstone when I picked up a big chunk of broken Allen wrench, must have been a 3/16" to 1/4" from the chunk I found inside the tire. One second I was riding along.....the next I was all over the place.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #39
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
IMHO balance/sealers should only be used in tubed tires to prevent sudden deflation. The tubed wheel/tire should be balanced with weights prior to adding the sealer. Once sealer is added weight balancing is impossible.

A good balancer is not that expensive and will be paid for the first time you mount and balance your tires. http://www.marcparnes.com/
My experience in California on the highway was that the chunk of metal ripped a nice hole in my rear tire causing it to instantly deflate. Pulled in the clutch and coasted to the edge of the highway. The natural drag a of a flat rear slowed the bike.

Yes, tubeless tire do suddenly deflate. They are however easy to repair if you brought along a patch kit and air pump, which was handy.

I see no point in sliming ro ride-oning a tubeless tire. Easy enough to carry a patch kit.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #40
St. Arbucks
Looking for clues...

Oddometer: 365
Question on Ride On (or any sealant). With tube tires, how do you know you have a puncture if Ride On seals it up? I'd want to know if I'm riding on tires with a hole that has been filled with a sealant. Thx,

2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2007 ST-1300, 1991 KLX-650

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
St. Arbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #41
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

A downside to Ride-On is that it can possibly mess up internal tire pressure monitors in your tires. I think I saw a list somewhere of the bikes with TPMs that are okay with Ride-On and those that are not okay.

It is quite possible that you would not know that a puncture has been repaired with Ride-On on the fly (tubeless tire).

I have liked Ride-On as extra security especially on long trips with a fully loaded bike. It keeps the tires well balanced and will plug a hole more or less instantly rather than finding that I have a flat at high speed with a heavily loaded bike the hard way. I do always carry a plug kit too though...