User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Trouble OP
Sloth Hunter

Oddometer: 310
Thailander needs helmet

I'm living in Chiang Mai and I want to buy a Honda CRF250L and do some riding around up north.

I have most of the gear BUT a good helmet.
The one helmet I know I can wear if mail ordered is the Large Shoei VFX-W.

I've checked the BKK websites (Paddock) and they are about 20,000 baht ($640) the same helmet is going for about $417 in US. Not a fair comparison because the one in the US was plain white and the BKK were black... I do not want a black helmet because I think it will be hotter.

SO.... where can I go or how do I go about getting one?
Some where I read Regina in Singapore. I sent an email but no reply and cannot access Shoei helmets on their website so I don't know if they carry them.

I have a feeling if I mail ordered outside of Thailand I would end up getting fucked by customs.

thoughts?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I bought a Real brand dual sport helmet at one of the many many gear shops there in Chiang Mai. I think the Real brand is one of the few that are DOT rated in the US. Or the Shark brand helmets are built there in Thailand, and can be bought fairly easy I am told. I didn't bother looking, as I was happy with the Real helmet. It's a good quality helmet that I still use here in the US a lot, and the price wasn't bad either.

I'm sure if you wanted to stop by Riders Corner at the northeast corner of the moat, someone there would be able to provide you with lots of info about local gear shops, and even better, lots of info about great rides originating from Chiang Mai. I stopped by there a couple of times and everyone seemed polite and welcoming. There are also a few guys on here that provided LOTS of great info.

Good luck. You're a lucky guy to be living there. I can't wait to get back there and do some more riding.

Edit: Re-reading your post it seems you are pretty adamant about a Shoei helmet. Sorry, I can't really help you there. But I am sure someone on here, or a local in the area will be able to help you out. But from what I hear.....yeah, you are definitely going to pay for it.
aterry1067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
Farang Paul
A Late Convert

Oddometer: 10
Why Shoei?

Anything imported into Thailand attracts 100% + duty.

If you buy your helmet and have it shipped they will hit you with duty (they will decide how much and you can't argue!) FedEx/DHL etc. give you a very high chance of being charged. Parcel post and slower transport is less likely, but still possible.

Bilmola and Real are both manufactured in Thailand and are DOT and ECE approved. They are just as safe as Shoei and 1/5th the price as they don't attract duty. They are also readily available here and you can try them on.

Do you really want to fork out that much money for a helmet you can't try on?

Why not spend the 17,000 THB you would save on improvements to your bike?
Farang Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,350
There's a hefty import duty on motorcycle helmets.. I recently bought a Shoei in Bangkok for nearly $800 usd. The shop on Rachadada (near the Huay Kwang MRT station) has a good stock of Arai, Shoei, HJC and some others.
If you're going to do lots of riding a good helmet is worth it, the Shoei is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 726
OP is riding a dirt bike and while the Shoei is a top of the line helmet, it might be considered a bit over the top to buy such a cheap bike and pair it with such an expensive helmet.

There are plenty of cheaper options that still offer good protection.

I'd certainly try on the REAL brand "Creek":

DOT certified and only ~2300 Thai baht. I've crash tested this helmet more times than I can count and am on my 3rd one. (They are so cheap I replace them every time I crash or ever year, whichever comes first).

If you like the fit of the Shoei but don't like the sticker shock I'd recommend you take a look at the HJC Motorcross line, on sale right now at Paddock, Bangkok for the amazing price of just 1500 Baht:

If you keep your eyes open and shop around you can get name brand quality helmets here for decent prices.

Good luck!
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
TonyBKK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Wink Or there's . . . . .

Or there's always this -

Or this:

Whadja - end up with Thailander ? ? ? ? ?

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON

Watercat screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 01:01 AM
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #7
Trouble OP
Sloth Hunter

Oddometer: 310
Buy locally

Yep, not paying that kind of money for a brand name helmet here.
IF, I was going back to US anytime soon I would pick one up.

But, as much use and abuse as it's going to get, the Real brand will be just fine for the riding I'll be doing.

Thanks for the input and advice. I have tried on a few at various locations around the city.

aterry, the riding here is a lot of fun. Just did the ride to Pai and back. Next is the Mae Hong Son loop.

The gf talked me into a ride up Doi Suthep/Pui to the Hmung village and then back down the steep, rutted dirt road to the lake... on a Honda Wave 125, with her on the back....hahaha. It helped she only weighs 40 kilos.

Sorry for the late reply back...
Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 AM   #8
OmegaRacer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
You could of course get one sent to a friend, family member or user on here.

Then they could repackage it and send it to you in Thailand, hopefully avoiding the import duty.
It's a risk, but it occasionally pays off.

A friend recently bought some wheels and had them sent here with a note in Thai saying that they were preowned and damaged, being sent here for repair, and he got away with not paying any duty. In the past doing the same thing he has had to pay around 4000 baht.

Personally, I don't agree with the thinking that if you're on a cheap bike you don't need an expensive helmet, or that a Shoei is the same quality as other, much cheaper, brands.
www.omega-racer.blogspot.com
OmegaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote