ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should we stay at MRA for WARPED X?
YES 34 85.00%
NO 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,188
I dunno, I'm really torn. There are really great discussions on both sides here.

My personal experience after attending a good number of them has been great, on both my espresso machine as well as a little bike. Each was a different and great experience.

When I rode my first GS to my first WARPED, Mikey got me so drunk I didn't know my name on that silly 3 Amigos tequila stuff. I ended up drunk dialing my (now) wife and that has always been a fun memory, not to mention it was the first time I rode in the snow and some other conditions.

I also brought my now wife to her first "event" and introduced her to the insanity.

Another great one was when we came back from Germany and had a blast doing some insane single track with Windrat and, of course, doing so hung over REALLY bad.

Both of these great memories were from the same location and I was excited then to bring little man and the mutts last year, but alas, my back had other plans.

HOWEVER, the cost is totally absurd. I put out around $200- maybe more- last year, and not only did I not get to go (no one's fault but mine since I was injured), I've still not gotten my T Shirt from last year.

I didn't bitch one word about canceling and not getting a dime back, but it left a VERY sour taste in my mouth for wanting to go back to the same venue. Please note also this is not a reflection of last year's or any other's organization- it simply is the nature of the chosen venue.

So although I have positive memories of the location, I agree that it should be at least explored to find another that if nothing else, is a bit more flexible and cost effective.

One part of me says this isn't an MOA rally where there must be shopping and all the comforts of home and it is SUPPOSED to be an adventure of some form. Hell, I could have stayed in Europe to "camp" like we do at MRA.

But another part says the riding rocks in that area for all types of bikes and would be hard to replicate.

Bottom line is I guess I'll go with whatever, but cost vs. reward needs to be taken a bit more seriously in my opinion to keep the same location.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #32
pcvance
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 4,909
WARPED would not be WARPED if its not on the Kern river.
MRA.
That is all.
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST
pcvance is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #33
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I dunno, I'm really torn. There are really great discussions on both sides here.

My personal experience after attending a good number of them has been great, on both my espresso machine as well as a little bike. Each was a different and great experience.

When I rode my first GS to my first WARPED, Mikey got me so drunk I didn't know my name on that silly 3 Amigos tequila stuff. I ended up drunk dialing my (now) wife and that has always been a fun memory, not to mention it was the first time I rode in the snow and some other conditions.

I also brought my now wife to her first "event" and introduced her to the insanity.

Another great one was when we came back from Germany and had a blast doing some insane single track with Windrat and, of course, doing so hung over REALLY bad.

Both of these great memories were from the same location and I was excited then to bring little man and the mutts last year, but alas, my back had other plans.

HOWEVER, the cost is totally absurd. I put out around $200- maybe more- last year, and not only did I not get to go (no one's fault but mine since I was injured), I've still not gotten my T Shirt from last year.

I didn't bitch one word about canceling and not getting a dime back, but it left a VERY sour taste in my mouth for wanting to go back to the same venue. Please note also this is not a reflection of last year's or any other's organization- it simply is the nature of the chosen venue.

So although I have positive memories of the location, I agree that it should be at least explored to find another that if nothing else, is a bit more flexible and cost effective.

One part of me says this isn't an MOA rally where there must be shopping and all the comforts of home and it is SUPPOSED to be an adventure of some form. Hell, I could have stayed in Europe to "camp" like we do at MRA.

But another part says the riding rocks in that area for all types of bikes and would be hard to replicate.

Bottom line is I guess I'll go with whatever, but cost vs. reward needs to be taken a bit more seriously in my opinion to keep the same location.
Just an odd aside,how did the venue determine that no refund was made when you couldnt go? Or that no T-shirt was forthcoming?
I dont understand.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #34
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
Yo CA Stu, dump cesspool of a thread into jomomma where we can get real and be completely honest.


If Funk started this thread that would be one thing, but THIS BULLSHIT IS ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT!
Funk checked in with his plan,replies happened.
Whats the deal?
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #35
1224R
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 1,770
Just to keep it on track here...

Scott is looking for ideas let's keep it in this topic...

So if not Kern where...

If you shit talkers are suggesting somewhere else........
__________________
I thought YOU had the map......
1224R is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #36
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
Just to keep it on track here...

Scott is looking for ideas let's keep it in this topic...

So if not Kern where...

If you shit talkers are suggesting somewhere else........
Well said.

Gimpy asked me to do some recon for Carrizo this past weekend. Methinks not really an option- not enough space and REALLY remote.

How about getting out of Kalifornistan and over to NV as a means of keeping it relatively central?
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #37
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Well said.

Gimpy asked me to do some recon for Carrizo this past weekend. Methinks not really an option- not enough space and REALLY remote.

How about getting out of Kalifornistan and over to NV as a means of keeping it relatively central?
I'm fairly sure there isn't any part of Nevada that is what I would call "close" to SoCal.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #38
Gerg
Cupcake
 
Gerg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 8,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
Yo CA Stu, dump cesspool of a thread into jomomma where we can get real and be completely honest.


If Funk started this thread that would be one thing, but THIS BULLSHIT IS ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT!
And just what makes this thread bullshit ole wise one?
You were going to run this, you didn't not discuss with ANY of the previous folks who ran this event, you just unilaterally handed it off.

Had Gillafunk been AT the event when he was anointed AND announced his desire to move it AND got a positive response, I wouldn't give a crap. The first MOST folks have heard about the change in venue is THIS POLL!

I'm sorry, I just don't get the issue with folks trailering their single track bike OR ole farts like me bringing my frickin motorhome. How many folks have YOU fed out of your saddlebags? How about coffee and muffins? Or the large community cooler (with starter beer I might add).

I've ALWAYS gone the extra mile when bringing my RV as a penance for doing so. Food, Coffee, Beer, Hauling shit for folks. I JUST DON'T GET THE RESISTANCE OF ME BRINGING AN RV

Gerg
__________________
Greg
OFFICIAL WARPED BEER MEISTER

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #39
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Well said.

Gimpy asked me to do some recon for Carrizo this past weekend. Methinks not really an option- not enough space and REALLY remote.

How about getting out of Kalifornistan and over to NV as a means of keeping it relatively central?
Brunos! Easy gravel road out there,rooms can be reserved,plenty of challenging and or easy off roading to be had.
Gerlach is nice that time of year,maybe.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #40
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,797
Yeti sent a PM to a bunch of us to get some input and opinions.

I'll try.

First off, let me say that we've always liked the Kernville location well enough. It's got good food nearby, a great grocery store, the camping amenities are about as good as we could ever hope for, and the local riding (both dirt and street) are pretty good. The fact is that finding a better venue, especially during the middle of Spring, is going to be tough. The WARPED crowd (myself included, of course) is an older group, and I do not mean that in any pejorative sense. A lot of them have been on ADV since the Good Alde Days, and their resistance to change is understandable and expected. We've all had some really great times at MRA, and it's fitting that the 10th anniversary of WARPED should be held there. That being said, there's a good argument to be made for changing things up once in a while and giving everybody a new, fresh face on the whole affair. I spoke with Giddyfunk at the Redwood Rendezvous this past weekend, and he made some very good points concerning why he wants to move the event. Personally, it's a long, dull slog on slab most years to get to Kernville, and his ideas of where to move it in the future might rule myself and the Mrs. out on sheer mileage/time considerations alone. I'm fine with that, if it means that the event continues and the people who have put their time, efforts, money, and passions into it are considered and served.

My opinion is this: leave the event at MRA for the 10th, and have a nice confab of all concerned then and there about selecting a new spot for 2015, maybe even before the raffle on Saturday night.

Kiel deserves some props for wanting to inject some new life and blood into an old gathering, but I believe that Gerg, Treadless, YetiGS, Backoutonthehighway, and any others that I've left out who've taken on this leviathan of a task need to have their concerns addressed.
My biggest worry about this entire process is that it devolves into a big pissing match that drives potential new attendees away and alienates the old guard to the point that the life goes out of WARPED.

BTW: I don't give a rat's ass about motorhomes and trailers.
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #41
Backoutonthehighway
I ride w/ Lewddites
 
Backoutonthehighway's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: All those who wander are not lost!
Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Just an odd aside,how did the venue determine that no refund was made when you couldnt go? Or that no T-shirt was forthcoming?
I dont understand.
Refund policy was clear. Last minute cancellations do not result in a refund. 30 days out we are legally committed.

My fault on the tee-shirts. Longtallsally - DM me your address and I'll getting them out this week. I'll even throw in the last cup by way of apology.


Back to the topic at hand: I'm willing to go with the crowd, but strongly vote in favor of the Kernville location. However, if some place is chosen that requires me to replace my expresso machine just to get there, you can count me out. Connie has a limited appetite for gravel and none at all for dirt.

If gillafunk decides that he for sure doesn't "have interest in organizing the same thing we have been doing for 9 years" and the majority want to go back to Kernville, I'll help co-produce.
__________________
"Never try to sell a meteor to a dinosaur. It wastes your time and annoys the dinosaur." - gapingvoid

http://backoutonthehighway.com
Backoutonthehighway is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #42
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com
 
Burnszilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redwood City, California
Oddometer: 1,307
Variety is the spice of life. If the person organizing the event wants to move it, have at it. Vote with your registration dollars. Where is it written that it has to stay at Songdog or Kernville? Are we getting lazy? Moving it opens a lot of opportunities. People will still go to it. There might still be a place to hook up your 5th wheel.

The numbers have been dropping off every year probably because some people have been to the Kernville site too many times. Been there done that, got the 9 t-shirts, 4 mugs, 8 stickers and ridden every dirt road in the area. I'd like to be adventurous and ride in some other place I've never been, drink a different local beer and make some new friends.

Change is good. Let's explore.
Burnszilla is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #43
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,556
I don't really care one way or the other. My reason to attend is to meet up with some of the old heads and get drunk.

Good riding I guess, if you haul up the orange bike behind your truck/trailer/motorhome and ride a lot single track.

Gerg is exempted because he fixes coffee for me in morning.

Us old guys who ride our 500lb bikes in order to get to Jawbone and flail around in the sand, it is not that much fun.

Last year was the first time I remember riding Rancheria rd, when it was not knee deep in snow.

Let me shed a tear for you So. Cal guys who have to drive a few hundred miles to get somewhere else. It is a pretty common occurrence for the rest of us.

I can stand another year, but I am open to other places too.
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 07:58 PM
itsatdm is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #44
GillaFunk
I use profanities
 
GillaFunk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Penngrove, California (Sonoma County)
Oddometer: 4,030
So it seems like members are wanting locations that are:
- In CenCal
- Offer comfortable camping facilities, with showers
- Near stores
- Near a source for good beer
- Or who are only interested in having the event AT WRA;

Maybe consider joining the BMW NorCal riding group and attending one of their events, that way one can cut the Adventure out of riding almost entirely.

I wont design the event so you cant trailer or bring your RV, but I'm not going to curtail the event so that those who wont ride to the event can come. Given the fact that some members bring their families in their RV's, it is bad form to simply alienate people based solely on their mode of transportation.

Is WARPED now just like all the standard old man BMW ralley's where some people show up not to ride, but to just hang out drink and where one is such a princess that one cant go camping for an entire weekend with out a shower?

Finally, I.m not interested in hearing the 'Well you didn't come to the event last year, so you don't understand what we want'. No, I dont have the luxury and convenience of the ride to Kernville as a simple 1-3 hour afternoon ride, so making it up there for an afternoon is not appealing, so yes, I did miss one year due to personal and mechanical reasons. The other 8 I did attend, so I'm no noOb to what goes on.



Gerg, I, along with everyone else G.R.E.A.T.L.Y. appreciates you bringing your RV. It has been much like a wonderful support vehicle and I NEVER said RV's were a no go. I volunteered to run WARPED X during WARPED 8, sitting RIGHT next to you, so the whole "Anointing Me" is mute. And my Fall Colors ride (which has nothing to do with WARPED), is, as stated in the OP NOT an organized event. Respectfully, as you have never attended any of the 3 Fall Colors rides I have put together, I ask that you cease your discourse.
__________________
"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
EVERYTHING I need to know I learned from Porn

FOR SALE Pelican 1520's and DR650 FMF Q Exhaust
Fall Colors Ride 2014
GillaFunk is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #45
1224R
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 1,770
Let me also add that I think everybody wants to all have fun...

I sincerely enjoy getting up there and riding and tilting back more than a few with you all....

Bike, Trailer, RV, Sherpa, pack mule, whatever.....

Can we all meet up in Kernville this weekend to discuss the plan????

Can't blame me for trying....
__________________
I thought YOU had the map......
1224R is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014