Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #31
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
I have an XT660R but I'd hate it as my only bike, I also own a Versys 650 and a XJR1300.

Out of those three, the Versys would be the best "all around" bike, but it would be the first one to go if I were forced to sell bikes.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
I have as my only bike a 2002 Dr650 Suzuki with 66,000 miles that I still enjoy after all these years that I will never sell. It does just about everything I want it to but.............I sure wouldn't mind having a second bike, hopefully, next year. I have it narrowed down to four bikes that I would love to park next to the DR in my shed. Kawasaki Versys, XR1200 Harley, (I love flat track), Suzuki V-strom 1000 and the long shot of the group a Hypermotard Ducati any size. I saw a used one at the local dealer and fell in love I would find any reason to go look at it. So, to me two bikes would be perfect!
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #33
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
I have 3 bikes. I don't have a dirt bike. I think I could fit one more in the garage if I cleaned up some space... :-)
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #34
Falconfixer
It is what it is....

Oddometer: 388
Apparently I have too many bikes, from what I've read here. I've been missing the part where I'm supposed to sell the old ones off after I buy a new one to play with.......
Falconfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #35
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
how many

I have a DR650 for around the county 80 mile radius trips and an F800GS for the longer rides. Really like both for what they do. Might add a TW200 for grins around the place but might have to send the Rincon and Recon atv on their way. The pioneer by Honda is looking like the next atv here.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #36
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I have 3 bikes. I don't have a dirt bike. I think I could fit one more in the garage if I cleaned up some space... :-)
I thought EVERYbody had 3. (If not they should)
Old 10-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #37
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I thought EVERYbody had 3. (If not they should)
I fixed it today and got a dirt bike. Up to 4.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #38
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,607
Old 10-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #39
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
I have a bike for the street, and a bike for the dirt.
Both are well suited for what I do with them, what I enjoy doing with them, and are smart picks for my age.

One bike just does not work for me, I want something really light in the dirt, with good suspension, and on the street, I want something light, nimble, comfortable, and that I can ride hard without getting in trouble.

A DR650 would have worked well when I was younger and my bones were less brittle. I think I would have got in plenty of trouble on one though.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #40
MotoChris521
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Three here.
WR450 - dirt

DRZ434 - dirt/steet

KLR650 - street
Old 10-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #41
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I can only afford/justify one bike currently (too many kids), so the ugly Gen 1 KLR with some suspension mods is it right now. It never disappoints except when I ride it someplace really nasty and have to turn back (I REALLY miss my XR440) or when I have to pound 300+ miles of interstate. For everything in between it does just fine.

I'm thinking in a perfect world two more bikes are needed. A KTM or GasGas 200-300cc 2t for the nasty single track, and real road bike (I'm thinking FJR or C14) for long range highway work. But currently the old KLR is what I get, so I'll ride it smiling. If you can only have one bike, the humble KLR is not too bad.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #42
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
I can only afford/justify one bike currently (too many kids), so the ugly Gen 1 KLR with some suspension mods is it right now. It never disappoints except when I ride it someplace really nasty and have to turn back (I REALLY miss my XR440) or when I have to pound 300+ miles of interstate. For everything in between it does just fine.

I'm thinking in a perfect world two more bikes are needed. A KTM or GasGas 200-300cc 2t for the nasty single track, and real road bike (I'm thinking FJR or C14) for long range highway work. But currently the old KLR is what I get, so I'll ride it smiling. If you can only have one bike, the humble KLR is not too bad.
You are rich in children which is good and what you choose. with the 1 bike, you make do.

I have a few bikes but only one kid. Still, I spend a lot of my time doing kid centered things.

I don't know how you parents with multiple kids find any time to ride anyway.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #43
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,493
DL650 works for me. Commutes, tours, handles dirt roads - all better than just 'adequately'.

Admitted, if it was closer to dirt from where I live I'd have a real dirt bike as well.

(That said, there'll be three bikes in my garage next week, two of which belong to my wife).

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #44
killianm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
How fast is fast?

I'll stick my neck out here. Had a KLR. Lots of fun but slow. The kid that bought it was coming off a smaller dirt bike and thought it was fast.
I now have an F800GS. Lots of fun. Faster than a KLR by far but still slow and heavy in the woods.

Stupid Fast = liter+ class bikes. Nothing like the grin created by highway wheelies and triple digit white knuckle holdin' on acceleration. My buddy has a '10 CBR1000RR. Another mutual buddy bought an '08 600 something and the CBR guy rode it home for him. He did not have the heart to tell him how underpowered his new to him bike was because he didn't want him to feel bad. Once you are bit with all that power it's hard to go slow again. For me it was Kid #1 that made me think hard about the triple digits. Kid #2 put me ATGATT.

Fun fast = most sport bikes (even out dated cheap ones will still make you smile) I rode a buddies SV650 that he gave $500 for and put another $1000 to fix up a bit. What a blast to ride. Yes I was smiling. Not my bike and not sure of the tires but I did scuff them in a bit and blew the carbon out.

Comfortable fast = most sport tourers and even big adventure and touring bikes. I miss the Aprilia RST1000 Futura on those long rides.

Any one bike for everything is a compromise. Street tires suck off road. Off road tires suck on road etc etc etc. I'm looking to add to the stable but more on the touring side. I'm thinking an older RT or maybe even a Goldwing. Did I just say that?? The Mrs. doesn't like the back of the GS so much. I do love her!!
The only cruiser I have ridden was a Harley V-rod. It was comfortable and lots of gusto (similar to the Aprilia Futura for power) but just not my thing.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #45
KillerD OP
BoozeMagician

Oddometer: 166
It has been decided! A few messy crashes in the muddy stuff has made me realize an 800xc or similar is just too pretty to be an only bike. Thus, I'll be spending the next year tricking out the ol' killer (progressive monotubes/465 rear on the way, packrat racks and 705 kit next) and throw a speed triple in the stable next as my street all arounder/long distance road warrior. Until then, I'll do my best to enjoy being a one girl man.
KillerD is online now   Reply With Quote