Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #46
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconfixer71 View Post
Apparently I have too many bikes, from what I've read here. I've been missing the part where I'm supposed to sell the old ones off after I buy a new one to play with.......

No, no, NO. YOU are doing it right and setting an EXCELLENT example. Keep up the good work.

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #47
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,083
Lots of kids and long road trips on bikes do not mix well.
Sometimes people want the wrong thing.
A few years ago, I thought I wanted a bigger bike to make long trips on, or at least longer rides then I usually do, so I bought a good used new Bonneville, plenty of interstate power, and the ability to do a longer trip if I could.
I found I did not get the chance to do a long trip, and the interstate sucked.
I have 2 to 4 hours to ride most times, with a few all day rides once and a while, and if I have limited time to ride, spending hours on the interstate to get someplace is NOT how I want to spend my ride time.
It might be fun if I could play around on the interstate, but its loaded with police around here.

So I got a small street bike that makes short rides very easy and fun, and any interstate seem like a road race.
I put twice the miles a year on the small bike then I did the big bike, 10,000 a year, plus miles on other bikes for the dirt.

Nice choices, if its nice out, I get to play road racer for any length of time I have to ride, even if its a trip to the store to pick something up, if its wet and cold, I get to blast through mud holes and warm up working a bike hard in the dirt.

I could live with one bike like a dr650, except its not really good for 2 up with my wife, and its too heavy for old guys in the dirt.

You might think you want a long distance bike, but have little or no time to use it, and you might want a sport bike, and end up with lots of tickets or a bad crash.
You might want a race bike for the dirt, but not have the time and money to keep it in good shape, might get tired of having to load it into something to get to the dirt, wasting ride time.

What people want often conflicts with what they can really use.

I had about an hour yesterday, between yard work and a wedding to go to, so I did 40 miles of hard dirt riding on my old xt200.
The back yard did not get done, but my wife did not notice that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
I can only afford/justify one bike currently (too many kids), so the ugly Gen 1 KLR with some suspension mods is it right now. It never disappoints except when I ride it someplace really nasty and have to turn back (I REALLY miss my XR440) or when I have to pound 300+ miles of interstate. For everything in between it does just fine.

I'm thinking in a perfect world two more bikes are needed. A KTM or GasGas 200-300cc 2t for the nasty single track, and real road bike (I'm thinking FJR or C14) for long range highway work. But currently the old KLR is what I get, so I'll ride it smiling. If you can only have one bike, the humble KLR is not too bad.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote