User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Twisted Adventures OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Twisted Adventure's twisted adventures

I've notice some people have an ongoing thread, so I figured I'd get one started rather than make a whole bunch of individual posts. I've not done much riding to date, and had a pretty bad accident that kept me form doing much of anything for a while. Linked here, just so it's part of the whole thread. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847761
I have been riding / commuting around town, for a while, but am headed out for my 1st multi day trip, so wanted to get a thread started.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Twisted Adventures OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
PHX, Flag, Sedona Jerome Prescott, PHX

I was invited to get out of the Phoenix heat and spend a couple days in Flagstaff for a friend’s Birthday. I jumped at the chance to take a real road trip on my bike and get into some cool weather. It’s really the first I’ve been out of town since my accident. The plan was to meet my friends around 5pm in Flag, but other than that, I had no set schedule. A while back, a friend told me about a route to Flag that I didn’t know about, and it sounded like a nice ride, so I figured I’d give it a try.
I left the house at noon, giving myself 5 hrs to take a relaxing ride and do some minor exploring. Unfortunately, it took an hour to get through traffic and out the other side, sheesh! So I lost an hour I wasn’t expecting to, and didn’t actually leave town until 1pm. I headed up the 87 towards Payson. The temperature was warm but not hot, and the higher I climbed, the cooler it got.
[IMG]

For any of you familiar with the area, I’m sure you know about Mt Ord. A steep ascent that stresses a lot of vehicles. I had a ’92 Cherokee that couldn’t do more than 35 – 40mph up that hill. Later, more powerful vehicles I owned did a bit better, but I still had my foot hard into the accelerator. Over the years, I’ve seen the remains of several vehicles that pushed too hard going up, blowing their engines and catching fire. I’ve also seen the remains of vehicles that rode their brakes too hard coming down and also caught fire. Having read about altitude problems from other KLR owners, I was a bit nervous approaching Ord. That feeling quickly faded as my KLR and it’s torquey little beast of a 650 shot up that mountain like it wasn’t even there. I did 60 -70mph all the way up! The revs never went above 5k, and the temp held at 210. That was the only time I’ve gone up that mountain and had to slow down because I was going too fast up hill! I’m happier and happier with my KLR every time I ride it.

Made it to Payson, and stopped for lunch. I was enjoying the 68 degree weather and came across this old WW2 German Kubelwagen.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I’d never seen one out on the streets. I snapped a couple shots for the “bike parked next to tank or military vehicle” thread. The owner and I spoke for a bit. I had questions about the Kubel, and he was curious about the KLR. After lunch I headed further north on 87, past 260, which is the farthest north I had ever been on 87. I connected with 209 N, aka Lake Mary road, and took that up to Mormon lake; Home of the Overland Expo. The ride was gorgeous with some nice twistys and lots of forest. I looked around Mormon Lake village / lodge for a little bit (it looks so different without several thousand overlanders there), then I head back to Like Mary road towards Flag. I was going to shoot some pics, but realized I was going to be 40mins late meeting my friends, so I just throttled on.
[IMG][/IMG]

Saturday I had lunch on Mt Humphreys with my friends and hiked around a bit. Saw some nice scenery and some deer. Doe: A deer; A female deer.
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
There were flowers all over the place, which surprised me, because it's autumn, and there where patches of snow in some places. I don't know what all these flowers are, I'll probably look them up at some point, but for the moment I'll just file them under Alpinis Floweris Unfamiliaris.
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
The day time temps in Flag were nice; mid 60's to low 70's. Night temps however were downright freezing; mid 30's.

At one point, I rode to check out Walnut Canyon. One of my friends told me the road was paved, but my GPS routed me to the unpaved road. This was a slight problem for me because the last time I had the KLR on dirt, it ended rather badly, and I am still REALLY nervous about going off pavement. I decided to try it though. It was a really busy weekend in Flag, and lots of traffic everywhere. I figured that even though I was alone, if I went down, it would only be a few minutes before someone found me. The road was fine for the most part and I just crept through in 2nd gear. There were only two short spots that were sketchy, and had me sweating with my heart in my throat, but I made it through okay. Most of you wouldn’t have even been bothered by it, but like I said, I’m still pretty nervous about dirt and gravel. I made it all the way to Walnut canyon just 45min before they closed. D’Oh! I poked around the top area for about an hour but wasn’t able to go down in the canyon and hike around the ruins. I’ll have to go earlier next time. Oh well, back to Flag to get ready for the birthday bar crawl.

Sunday after breakfast, I said goodbye to my friends and headed south. Again with no particular route home in mind. I took 89A through Oak Creek Canyon and into Sedona. I didn’t get many pics, and no good ones. SO MUCH traffic there that day. People must be flocking to the last few warm weekends of the year, plus you need a damn Red Rock Pass (permit) to stop just about anywhere in Sedona, so I just kept going.
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
I continued on 89A to Jerome. There were lots of bikes everywhere. Again, not a lot of pics, it was starting to get late, light wasn’t good and I wanted to see some other stuff before dark.
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
This was my 3rd time to Jerome in about 15yrs. The 1st time, I told myself, “When I come back, I’m going to give myself a whole day to look around”. The 2nd time I was there, I had just over an hour and told myself, “When I come back, I’m going to give myself a whole day to look around”. Now, my third time there, and still only a couple hrs available, I was telling myself, “When I come back, I’m going to give myself a whole day to look around”. Arrg! I would like to spend more time there and stay a night in the haunted hotel. I headed just up the hill out of Jerome to the old ghost town, and got there just as they were closing. I really have to work on my timing.
[IMG][/IMG]

I think we need more of this type of justice these days.
[IMG][/IMG]

Just below the ghost town was a collection (if you could call it that) of old trucks and machinery. I spent a little time poking around and taking some pictures.
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Remnants of an old Imperial Probe Droid rusting away in the bushes. Don't know if it found who it was looking for.
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Time to head home I guess, so I went back down to Jerome, and hooked back up with 89A over Mingus Mtn to Prescott. Another lovely stretch of road with lots of pines and twistys.
[IMG][/IMG]

It was dark when I got to Prescott. I stopped for a quick bite then headed towards the 17. On my way out, I passed a sign, and had to turn around to see if it said what I thought it did. Ha! It did! Here in the dark was this blazingly bright sign suggesting that you go…
[IMG][/IMG]

I don’t know if that was meant to be an insult or some friendly words of encouragement. I guess it all depends on who you are. All the way home I was thinking of other stores that should open in that center and have their sign in between Chase and Dick’s. Maybe a “Big and Tall”, or a “Fresh and Easy”. I don’t know, but I was laughing most of the way home.

When I was about 40mins from home, my butt had had all it could stand. (Not from chasing dicks, mind you) I still have the factory KLR seat and it sucks for long distance riding. My tail bone hurt so bad I didn’t think I was going to make it home. For all you factory seated KLR owners out there, I discovered a little trick that helps. I pulled over, popped out my rear passenger foot pegs, and then once I was back up to speed and didn’t need to shift anymore, I put my body into a street bike tuck with my feet on the rear pegs. This rotated my hips forward just enough to get off my tail bone, and alleviated the pain. It is rather sketchy steering in that position with those high bars, so I sat up and discovered you can sit upright with your feet still on the rear pegs and be off your tail bone. Just a tip.

Well that was my first official multi-day motorcycle trip. I loved it and look forward to many more.

Total mileage: 484
Total Fuel: $32.42
Never could have pulled those numbers from my Jeep.

Twisted Adventures screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 10:21 PM
Twisted Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
This looked like a fun ride. You have some really cool pictures here. I love the old junk vehicles. ...and the Imperial Probe...to funny! Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
hooked

Okay, I like your turn of phrase, and your pics. Post more.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Thanks for the RR, great pic's.
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Oddometer: 600
Subscribed,

Great Pics and I am thrilled you are back in the game!!!!!

Bill
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote