Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Dirtwoman OP
Plexus Princess

Oddometer: 179
Please Help me with tracks Dakota 20

I just got a Garmin Dakota 20 and I am trying to upload tracks sent to me for a trip. I uploaded from my computer to device. When I click on click on the route, then click view map, then GO!, it says "Route calculation Error: Maps do not have routable roads in this area". Then I click OK and it shows the map with big arrow with a flashing question mark.

did I miss a step to upload map and make it work correctly?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
A couple things could be going on but first....

You seem to be interchanging (easy to do) the terms "tracks" & "route" , they are quite different. Based on the limited info posted sounds like you are looking for a route on the GPS and either what you loaded was a track or more likely it was a route but your installed GPS map does not support auto-routing. So we start with a couple questions for more information...

What maps are installed on your GPS? If you don't know the information can be found via the map setup menus.
and
Do you expect the file you loaded to follow established roads (dirt or pavement) or follow trails and even cross-county paths?
and
Where/how was the file you loaded to the GPS generated? In the field? BaseCamp? Goggle Maps, etc? Other?

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Dirtwoman OP
Plexus Princess

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
A couple things could be going on but first....

You seem to be interchanging (easy to do) the terms "tracks" & "route" , they are quite different. Based on the limited info posted sounds like you are looking for a route on the GPS and either what you loaded was a track or more likely it was a route but your installed GPS map does not support auto-routing. So we start with a couple questions for more information...

What maps are installed on your GPS? If you don't know the information can be found via the map setup menus.
and
Do you expect the file you loaded to follow established roads (dirt or pavement) or follow trails and even cross-county paths?
and
Where/how was the file you loaded to the GPS generated? In the field? BaseCamp? Goggle Maps, etc? Other?

Bruce
Sorry, didn't mean to say tracks at all. I have the route uploaded in basecamp on my computer. Then I sent to my GPS. they should all be pavement, back roads.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

That helps narrow the possibilities.

"I have the route uploaded in basecamp on my computer."

This relates to my last question, so to clarify someone created a route with BaseCamp and then transferred it to the GPS? The other option was that it was imported to BaseCamp. In any event it sounds to me like you don't have the same map set (like CityNavigator) available on the GPS as the route was created with in BaseCamp.

Which leads to my 1st question, what maps are installed and enabled on your GPS? If noticeably different from the set used to create the route with originally you will likely not have the route on the GPS duplicating exactly the original. Worse yet would be that you don't have a map installed (or enabled) on the GPS that supports auto routing at all.

Does your GPS show street level detail in the area when zoomed way in to like 0.2 mile? If not you don't have a street level detailed map and certainly not one that supports auto-routing.

Understand that Garmin envisions routes to be evolving/changing for on the fly recalculations, tracks on the other hand are static/archival in nature.

There are things you can do to limit changes in routes when transferred to the GPS but none are perfect. But if you don't have an auto-routing map set installed on the GPS you will have to convert the route to a track before loading to the GPS.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 09:40 PM
Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,896
Another question; what kind of riding do ou want to use GPS for?

If you are riding dirt on your EXC or KLX, most people use Tracks not Routes. If you are on your 600 the Routes are what you want.

Tracks are much easier to use just download them and follow them. It is nice to have backgrouind maps but you really don't need them.

As stated above with Routes you must have good routable map in your GPS.

Jerry
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Solve the problem? What ended up being the issue?

Bruce
Old 10-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

You are welcome!

Bruce