Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #151
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
haha, Moab to Green River, Sept 2013.....yeah i know EXACTLY how long.

Yikes! That looks like a lot of mud-slinging fun!
Mud = = = in the end, sometimes, maybe...
First Long ADV Ride, 09/07: Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (COBDR & UTBDR)
tuffenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:57 AM   #152
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT! Big Bikes Conquer The Elements Of The West!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
DAY 14: Arches NP then Moab to Monticello (UTBDR - in reverse)
But we ended up in Blanding instead... read on...

9/19/13
Thank you Backcountry Discovery Routes for your awesome services!
Thank you Butler Maps for your awesome maps!

Jeremy and I would be on our own from this point on in the trip.
We decided we'd worry about the details of the return when we got to Monticello, not realizing getting a room would be impossible when we got there.

After a nice breakfast, we decided, since it was nearby, to check out Arches NP for a bit.

I had seen all of my friends FB posts of their trips out to Arches, but to actually see it in person... what a blessing!
Check one more off the National Parks bucket list!

We were limited on our time here, so we made the most of what he had.

We only made 2 stops: Park Avenue Trail & Lower/Upper Delicate Arch View Points.

Stop 1: Park Avenue Trail
We just took pics from the beginning of the trail head near the parking lot.
We didn't have time to hike, so we took it all in as quickly as we could.

Snapping up pics where I could from the back of the 990 along the way...

Stop 2: Lower and Upper Delicate Arch View Point
We didn't have time (1hr +/- & in gear ) to hike the actual Arch Trail, so we did the next best thing and went to the view points.
We first went to the Lower View Point area -- nice & easy but too far.
So we decided we'd just suck it up, deal with the heat and hike up the Upper View Point Trail - roughly the same distance but very steep.
It was soooooooo hot! But it was worth it! I did make him carry my jacket halfway. Thanks, Babe!
We'll have to definitely come back on a hiking trip and do the actual Arch Trail, along with all the other great trails available in the park.

What an amazing way to start off the day's ride and we couldn't wait to continue on the rest of the route, which included Lockhart Basin...
Old 02-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #153
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Yampa Bench Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Great photos and report! Barb and I were there in July. An amazing place. Were you able to take in Yampa Bench Road?
I need to get on our RR. As you say, it takes a lot of time. Thanks for taking your time.

Yes we did Yampa bench road - a lot of the pictures from post 110 are from that road. The ranger we called ahead of time said the road was closed and muddy due to the rains and would be unpassable - do not call them if we got stuck. But we tried it anyways and were pretty lucky with only a few muddy spots - we made it to the Echo Park Campsite - all to ourselves.

Thanks for the amazing ride report Tuffenuff - great write up and photos!
Nice to see the parts I missed.

Mike Z
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #154
dutchjohn
Adventure Touring

Oddometer: 287
Cairn

great trip and ride report!!!!! the rocks stacked up along the trail's are called CARIN
Cairn's are a way of marking the trail so you don't get lost. the one you have in your pic many not be a cairn, well not the very bottom but someone may of placed the top one. to make a cairn.

Along the trail, you'll find stacked rock formations like this one.
I have scoured the internet for hours and couldn't find the background behind this sculpture, does anyone know the story and symbolism behind it?

dutchjohn screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 07:29 PM
dutchjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #155
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman View Post
Yes we did Yampa bench road - a lot of the pictures from post 110 are from that road.........

Thanks for the amazing ride report Tuffenuff - great write up and photos!
Nice to see the parts I missed.

Mike Z
Thanks, Mike! Let's catch up, soon! Maybe over hockey.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #156
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,221
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #157
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,221
that sure looks like natural erosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchjohn View Post
great trip and ride report!!!!! the rocks stacked up along the trail's are called CARIN
Cairn's are a way of marking the trail so you don't get lost. the one you have in your pic many not be a cairn, well not the very bottom but someone may of placed the top one. to make a cairn.

Along the trail, you'll find stacked rock formations like this one.
I have scoured the internet for hours and couldn't find the background behind this sculpture, does anyone know the story and symbolism behind it?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #158
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchjohn View Post

Along the trail, you'll find stacked rock formations like this one....

Ahh yes, Cairns! Thanks, dutchjohn! These cairns are so cool to come across.
I knew they were trail markings, which came in handy in Lockhart Basin.
But I was always curious on the backstory - why this form, what was the person(s) thinking - who, what, why, when? Lol!
They are just so very cool.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #159
Renaissanceman
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 149
That's almost certainly a natural formation - in fact, it's an up-close example of what you're looking at all along the White Rim Trail - a layer of soft rock (Cutler sandstone) capped by a layer of harder rock (White Rim sandstone). As the softer stuff erodes away, the harder stuff stays balanced on top of an ever-diminishing pedestal - the same process created the balanced rocks you saw at Arches. Those smaller formations are sometimes called HooDoos or Goblins - like at Goblin Valley. Very trippy on a moonlit night!

Not to be confused with cairns - some of those can grow to emormous size. I remember seeing a giant cairn on top of a hill - we hiked for the better part of an hour to see what's up only to find a mining claim marker. Kinda anti-climatic. Another time, we were poking around a drainage when we spotted a small cairn off in the distance. Followed the cairns down an old footpath along a little side-canyon that ended at some really nice undisturbed ruins. One of the best hikes ever - and a complete surprise.
So, keep your eyes out for those little buggers - you never know where it might lead!

Thoroughly enjoyed the RR - right in my backyard! And The mud! Believe me, you haven't seen the worst of it! I've sat in my full locked-out LandCruiser on level ground with the wheels spinning! Ha - we didn't go anywhere that day until the sun came out! Great fun - glad you made it through okay. That's why we do this stuff, right? - otherwise, it wouldn't be an adventure!

Renaissanceman screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 10:01 AM
Renaissanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #160
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
that sure looks like natural erosion.
Thanks, eakins! Renaissanceman thinks natural erosion as well. Nature sure is AWESOME!
Old 02-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #161
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissanceman View Post
That's almost certainly a natural formation - in fact, it's an up-close example of what you're looking at all along the White Rim Trail - a layer of soft rock (Cutler sandstone) capped by a layer of harder rock (White Rim sandstone). As the softer stuff erodes away, the harder stuff stays balanced on top of an ever-diminishing pedestal - the same process created the balanced rocks you saw at Arches. Those smaller formations are sometimes called HooDoos or Goblins - like at Goblin Valley. Very trippy on a moonlit night!

Not to be confused with cairns - some of those can grow to emormous size. I remember seeing a giant cairn on top of a hill - we hiked for the better part of an hour to see what's up only to find a mining claim marker. Kinda anti-climatic. Another time, we were poking around a drainage when we spotted a small cairn off in the distance. Followed the cairns down an old footpath along a little side-canyon that ended at some really nice undisturbed ruins. One of the best hikes ever - and a complete surprise.
So, keep your eyes out for those little buggers - you never know where it might lead!

Thoroughly enjoyed the RR - right in my backyard! And The mud! Believe me, you haven't seen the worst of it! I've sat in my full locked-out LandCruiser on level ground with the wheels spinning! Ha - we didn't go anywhere that day until the sun came out! Great fun - glad you made it through okay. That's why we do this stuff, right? - otherwise, it wouldn't be an adventure!
Thanks Renaissanceman! It's just so amazing these natural formations! And I'll keep a look out for cairns as well hoping for an awesome surprise like you had.

..."you haven't seen the worst of it!" - Yikes! I am absolutely thankful we had relatively good weather and trail conditions, for a good part of the trip, this being my first time on such an adventure ride!
I've got 2.5 days of RR left to go so stay tuned.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #162
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT! Big Bikes Conquer The Elements Of The West!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DAY 14 - Continued: Arches NP then Moab to Monticello (UTBDR - in reverse)
But we ended up in Blanding instead... read on...
9/19/13

We made our way out of Arches and set our sights on Lockhart Basin.

En route to Lockhart, we rode by these buildings... does anyone know the background? We zipped by too fast and just kept going.

What a great day this is turning out to be... our ride has been just bliss... and we were doing great with staying on the route...

The scenery once again proved to be an excellent distraction from the heat which had climbed to the 90's...

We were nearly there... just had to make it up and over Hurrah Pass...

Hurrah Pass, summit - we made it! Phew! It was sketchy going up! Very rocky and very loose and very hot! Had to hang on the whole time!
We passed a jeep and 4 mountain bike riders who were all shaking their heads as we rode by.
Another couple on mountain bikes were taking a break at the summit and were kind enough to offer to take our pic!

We took a brief rest, long enough to take the pic, gulp down water and inhale some protein gels and bars, then continued on for Lockhart...

Well, we made it on to the Lockhart Basin route...
And we were able to see and stay on the trail... for now...

Bouncy... bouncy... bouncy...

When it was just going to be me and Jeremy riding on the rest of the trip, I did as much research as I could on Lockhart.
So I knew to watch out for Cairns (trail markers), which helped us stay on track as I'd call them out when I saw them on the trail...

... bounce ... bounce ... bounce ...

I got off on the two spots in the videos and scoped out the trail and he would ride on just ahead. We were making great progress!

And then... we hit this section...
After scoping it out (clearly seeing the terrain on each side and the tire marks and what looked like cairns on the other side), I told Jeremy to go left...

Up, up and away...

And then he just kept going!

Finally, I heard him on the Sena say he was going to ride up just a bit further and scope it out... so, off for a long, hot, heavy walk & climb I go...
After about 5 minutes, Jeremy rode back down and said there's no more trail and we must have gone the wrong way.
We rode back down where the fork was and I got off and he continued on the right side and scoped it out while I waited.
After about 15 minutes, I didn't hear anything on the Sena and got worried, so I went for another walk/climb...

And saw this... and finally there was static on the Sena and I could hear Jeremy say there was no trail up there either. Oh boy...

We looked at the GPS, the maps and retraced all our steps... the trail had to be nearby...

With frustration kicking in (and mounting) simmered by the heat, we sought shade to cool off, regroup, hydrate and eat.
Which is when Dynobob and company ran into us.

They couldn't find the trail either... all the GPS's were saying different things.
One of their crew was sent out to scope out other possible trails - to no avail.

Sigh... we will have to come back and do Lockhart Basin another time - and in the other direction.
Jeremy was really disappointed and I was disappointed for him. Next time babe!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #163
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
I tried Lockhart from that end and got lost, too. Another time, I guess.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #164
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
I tried Lockhart from that end and got lost, too. Another time, I guess.
Another time, indeed... and definitely not right after a heavy rainfall so you have a chance to find the trail.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #165
duckboy810
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Hey tuffenuff and darkryder. I was apart of dynobobs group that ran into you guys in lockhart and had tried scouting a bit. I was dissapointed to to find there was no easy clear route. Confirms what people say about not doing it in the "wrong" direction. Any how got some pics of you guys heading back over hurrah pass on your way out, they are all kinda the same but makes for cool sequence. This fall ill be planning a loop of the UT&CO BDR and look forward to similar adventures.

Instagram: Duckboy810
duckboy810 is offline   Reply With Quote