Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #106
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKRYDER View Post
Complete Rottweiler intake system with dog house and SAS block-off plates. Should free up some torque and hp, not that this bike needs it.

The entire Rally, Jeremy had been eyeing Rottweiler's intake system package.

On Day 3, he finally caved and bought the system.
He was going to install it that day, but it was too involved and we still had a week of riding left in UT.
It still sits in the garage waiting to be installed, someday... soon...
First Long ADV Ride, 09/07: Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (COBDR & UTBDR)
tuffenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #107
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,521
that's kindof what we do.....gather parts and look at them in their hermetically sealed packages.... until that one day, when motivation strikes.

cool RR, gonna get me a 990 one of these days...

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #108
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
that's kindof what we do.....gather parts and look at them in their hermetically sealed packages.... until that one day, when motivation strikes.

cool RR, gonna get me a 990 one of these days...

That is so true, vintagespeed! With anyone that has a passion. Everyone has to have a healthy collection of parts for that "rainy day", whenever, sometime...
Old 10-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #109
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT! Big Bikes Conquer The Elements Of The West!

---------------------------------------------------------
DAY 10: 2013 KTM Rally Finale, Steamboat Springs, CO
---------------------------------------------------------
Day 4, Final Day of the Rally
9/15/13

Well, today, this morning marked the end of The KTM Rally. Vendors were taking down their tents and the only thing on schedule were more Self-Guided Rides and Demo Rides.

We were on our own for breakfast. So we ate at The Cabin and indulged one last time on their Sunday Brunch.

Mike and Jeremy were going to Demo the 1190. I will let them chime on for their review. Sadly, no pics of them...
I was going to do our laundry and hit the pool.
We'd meet up and pack up and head on back on the trails by 1pm-ish...

Sadly, we'd be losing Russ today.
He would be heading back to Canada, for something called work.
Russ - it was an absolute pleasure to meet you and we completely enjoyed your company, humor and quick with about you! Hope to see you next time!

Well, I had the laundry room all to myself this morning. Gave me a chance to catch up on my journal while I waited and waited and waited patiently.

I got a chance to walk around the hotel mid-laundry cycles and listened to this gentleman playing on the piano a lovely tune...

With the laundry done, I hit the pool and hot tub. Ahhhh... finally... my reward. I get to RELAX...

A few hours later, it was time to pack up and head out.
But that also meant - back on the bike!

Our afternoon destination - Dinosaur National Monument & Echo Park.
And hopefully, the trails were open...
Old 10-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #110
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Talking Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT! Big Bikes Conquer The Elements Of The West!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DAY 10 Continued: Destination Dinosaur Monument Valley/Echo Park En Route To UTBDR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9/15/13

I'm back everyone! Lol! Sorry for the delay. Hope I haven't lost you.
Life kinda got a little hectic (in a good way) for a bit but all is now in order.

I left you back in Steamboat on the last day/morning of the rally and we were packing up and headed back out on the ride!

The goal this afternoon was to make it to Dinosaur Monument Valley. Hopefully, the trails were open and passable. It had been closed the previous days.
The goal this evening was to camp in Echo Park. Say what?! Did you say CAMP?
That's right folks! We were going to FINALLY camp - weather, terrain and conditions permitting...
I know, I know... I'll believe it when I see it too!

And away we go...

We're riding along when I snapped this poignant reminder, for me, of the sacrifices of the many service men and women in the world, past and present. Much respect.

I can't recall if this was in Hayden or Craig...

We reached the town of Maybell where we took a quick break and had some snacks.

Mike checked with the clerk if she knew anything about the park conditions and by the sounds of things, the conditions were in our favor today.
Except for this little guy... this was not his/her day.

Although there continued to be dark clouds looming above us, the weather was kind and remained overcast with just the threat of a downpour.

We're finally here!
Mike and Jeremy had been here before a few years ago on their Forever West Segment ride. But it would be a first for me.

W-O-W! The scenery is just amazing!

The scenery was quite simply breathtaking and reminded me a bit of the Grand Canyon which is just uber-spectacular!
I just realized... I was nearly standing up in this pic trying to take a pic. Man, I'm short!

The park beckons you to continue and enjoy it's beautiful and serene landscape.

And as we proceeded to heed it's call, we were welcomed with this glorious rainbow!

We continued on...

As we neared the location of our camp site, Echo Park, I was ever so thankful that the trails were open and I got the chance to visit this amazing place!

Jeremy let me know that we'd be heading straight to camp to set up while we had daylight. And we'd explore the scenery and surroundings tomorrow morning on our way out.

As we entered the campsite, I noticed another KTM in the distance!
It belonged to Fabrioli (if I heard it correctly). He was at the Rally and was just passing through the park en route to Salt Lake City, he hoped.
He was also planning on doing a race but can't recall which.
Fabrioli - it was nice running into you! I hope you made it to SLC and to your final destination OK and that you did great and are happy about your race!

Here's our camp site where, yes, we'd be camping! For the first time on this trip!

While setting up camp, Jeremy tended to his boot - recall about nearly halfway on Page 2 of this thread, he asked for advise on how to glue the soles back together on his boot?
Well, today, he had the brilliant idea of rubbing his boot on the ground to get some mud off of it. I still love you babe!

Back to camping!
First of all, I can't believe we're actually camping!
Second, we had the whole campsite to ourselves!
Lastly, I sure hope we remember how to set up camp!

1) Tents up!

2) Fire's roaring!

3) Foods out!

4) Bottoms up!
All right, all right, the guys deserved it! Cheers!

As we sat around the roaring fire reminiscing about our trip, we were all genuinely thankful to have had an awesome and safe journey thus far!
Jeremy and Mike had always talked about coming back here someday and actually camping here at Echo Park since they just passed through years ago and here they were!

We went to sleep under a full moon, in full view and full brightness tonight. We were blessed.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #111
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Awesome Ride Report you guys! An amazing trip for sure! Nice to see you representing your Trailjammer Designs shirt Mike, on post #98. ha! Nice to see!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #112
lqgsrider
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 322
good RR thanks for posting
Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #113
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I'm a bit late to the party but great ride report! Thanks for taking all the time to post this up...I know it's a monumental amount of effort.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #114
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Well, after a long hiatus, I'm finally back to updating this RR.
Sorry for the long delay folks - life, holidays, projects & a bit of laziness - got the best of me for a while...

Now, let's see if I can remember how to do this...

-----------------------------------------------------
DAY 11: Destination Wellington En Route To UTBDR.
But we ended up in Green River instead... read on...
9/16/13

RISE & SHINE! We woke up to an amazing sunrise. It was going to be a great day... what could possibly go wrong?

It was such a warm and gorgeous morning, I joined Mike on his morning walk while Jeremy woke up and got started on packing up camp. Thanks babe!

When we got back to camp, I finally noticed the Caution signs on active animals in the area and how to properly pack away food items and anything with a scent.
So we're not quite sure why Mike's seat was attacked overnight...

We finished off a light breakfast of protein bars and juice, packed up camp, cleaned off a little mud off the bikes and were finally on our way...

Since we didn't get a chance to play tourist yesterday, we took the opportunity this morning to fully appreciate the historical sites available to peruse in this beautiful Park.

And the day kept getting better...

And better...

And better...

Quick! Can you find the lizard?

We made our way to the overlook where the views continued to get better...

Hey! Could this be the magic school bus?!

The canyons were spectacular.
I had been warned that the ride out of the canyons was going to be a long one and hot, but I didn't mind one bit... not with such a peaceful surrounding.

Taking a little dinner break... brb... for real... I will be right back...
Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #115
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
Awesome Ride Report you guys! An amazing trip for sure! ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqgsrider View Post
good RR thanks for posting
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWaffles View Post
I'm a bit late to the party but great ride report! Thanks for taking all the time to post this up...I know it's a monumental amount of effort.

Thanks guys! I've been MIA for a while but I am back on the update mode, again! But this time, I'll update daily until it's complete!
And bonus for me, I just now figured out the multi-quote icon!
Old 02-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #116
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,312
Just tuned in....Went from page 1 to here today. Looking forward to the rest.
Good stuff
Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #117
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Just tuned in....Went from page 1 to here today. Looking forward to the rest.
Good stuff
Hiya Bgunn! Thanks for tuning in! One more update coming up, shortly...
Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #118
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

-----------------------------------------------------------------
DAY 11 - Continued: Destination Wellington En Route To UTBDR
But we ended up in Green River instead... read on...
9/16/13

The ride out of the canyons was long as promised and hot, but the scenery made it worthwhile!
Plus, my Motoport Kevlar Jacket and Pant kept me cool and comfortable.

Once again, we were blessed with excellent weather conditions!
Apart from sections of rocky/sandy/swirly/steep/narrow conditions, the rest of the trails were in fairly ideal conditions for comfort cruising.

The ride continued on smoothly... too smoothly...

We finally reached the entrance/exit and decided to make a pit stop at the Dinosaur National Monument Fossil Bone Quarry. I highly recommend it!
*Note 1: The original smaller building is closed (top 2 pics below), replaced with this newer facility (bottom 2 pics below). The blue/turquoise/teal dino is still up at the old site.
*Note 2: Do not exit the park if you want to see the new Monument Quarry site. Go to the building before you exit, otherwise, you'll have to turn around and pay the park entrance fee, like we did.

At the old quarry site, I noticed the following plaque and was curious to learn more about the history marker. The name sounded familiar but my recollection of History class escaped me. Hello Wiki!
This was part of the Dominguez-Escalante Expedition conducted in 1776 to find a route from Santa Fe, New Mexico, to Spanish missions in California, which would later become part of the Old Spanish Trail from Santa Fe.

Mike and I decided to take the quick 15 minute tour while Jeremy caught up on his work email inside the air-conditioned building. It was hot, but the tour was well worth it!
There was a quick 5 minute shuttle ride down to the Quarry Building. The building itself was modern and air-conditioned.
The shuttle and tour was free. You can donate as well as purchase from the gift shop, which I happily did.

Wow! What a treat this was!

Careful, Mike! They probably have a "You break it, you buy it!" policy! Yike$$$!

I am ever so thankful to have been born in this time as opposed to the dinosaur age - OUCH!

As I said, what an excellent tour and one that I highly recommend!
Once we showed Jeremy the pics we took, he was bummed he passed on the opportunity (next time babe!).

But alas, it was time to get back on the road!

So, we're riding along... day was great... ride was smooth... when all of a sudden Mike pulled off and stopped on the side of the road... with no fuel...
And Jeremy's tank was tethering on empty too...

Thank goodness for Buddy Tow!

Thankfully, we only had 5 miles to go to get to the nearest gas station (Sinclair) and we were praying Jeremy still had enough in his tank to make it.

Time to catch some ... be back in the morning to continue with the updates.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #119
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Great photos and report! Barb and I were there in July. An amazing place. Were you able to take in Yampa Bench Road?
I need to get on our RR. As you say, it takes a lot of time. Thanks for taking your time.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #120
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Great photos and report! Barb and I were there in July. An amazing place. Were you able to take in Yampa Bench Road?
I need to get on our RR. As you say, it takes a lot of time. Thanks for taking your time.
Thanks bomose! And you too, great pics! I am trying to recall Yampa Bench Road but all I can remember is the Yampa River. Where was it exactly? Maybe Mike or Jeremy will remember...