ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Rick Lee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
What does it take to make a dirt bike street legal in AZ?

I want a beater dirt bike for trails and to keep my GS street-only. But I have no truck or trailer, so I'd need to be able to ride my dirt bike on the hwy. to get where I'm going. Since I live in Phoenix, I know I have to deal with emissions. But what are the other min. requirements to make a dirt bike street legal? Horn, headlight, min. engine displacement or speed?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Google

and try the search engine on this site. Now that I am done being an @$$:

The quick answer is that a bike must have: 1 headlight, 1 taillight, 1 mirror, 1 brakelight, 1 horn and of course DOT approved tires

39) What equipment (lights, mirrors, etc) is required on my vehicle to drive it on the streets and highways?
Arizona law in Title 28, Article 13 provides this information. If you have specific questions, contact the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I want a beater dirt bike for trails and to keep my GS street-only. But I have no truck or trailer, so I'd need to be able to ride my dirt bike on the hwy. to get where I'm going. Since I live in Phoenix, I know I have to deal with emissions. But what are the other min. requirements to make a dirt bike street legal? Horn, headlight, min. engine displacement or speed?
Do you have a title for your bike? Regarding what it takes to make it street legal, I'm not 100% sure. But it looks like you need a horn, headlight/tailight, and one mirror. I just got a DR-z125 titled and plated for mostly offroad. It is totally stock, no lights. I believe the three plates you can get are:
1) strictly offroad- can not ride on the street off-road only
2) mostly offroad- can connnect trails, but no highway etc
3) strictly onroad- can ride anywhere

According to the MVD you get a "special code" attached to your plate when/if it gets checked by the Police, Rangers etc. I would say get number three if you want to ride your bike on the highway. You must get insurance for numbers two and three. You are also required to get a OHV decal too. I got an strictly onroad plate for my XR250R, yeah it was a little more money but I'd like to ride it on the street if I wanted too.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 812

sixer, if you can't use the 'highway' with option two, then why even have it as an option??? I chose the 'primarily off-road' option, and have had no problems using any 'highway'... now if I used my bike to commute, then using this option could get you in trouble.

Rick Lee, everything MER said is what you need to get a plate for your bike (and I think even just one brake as well).
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee
don't know what you need....
this is my personal experience (CRF450X.. done in 12/2007)
had the bike in the truck never unloaded at the Chandler MVD .... bike is stock (no turn signals, no horn, no... stock!)
sign some form and paid $90 for 2 year registration...
need to keep AZ insurance!
PS
there are 2 types of registrations one RV and one MC... i have the MC, don't know what was the RV for..
Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Is it possbile to plate a 2-stroke with the emissions testing?
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallache
CRF450X no emission test needed
Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down

sixer, if you can't use the 'highway' with option two, then why even have it as an option??? I chose the 'primarily off-road' option, and have had no problems using any 'highway'... now if I used my bike to commute, then using this option could get you in trouble.

Rick Lee, everything MER said is what you need to get a plate for your bike (and I think even just one brake as well).
I'm just quoting what I was told at the MVD. Option two allows you to "connect trails" I'm sure you could get away "connecting" a trail from a highway but commuting I doubt it. Maybe there is a "special code" attached to your plate or maybe it's just smoke to generate more $$$. I choose to just pay a little extra and not have to worry about it.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallache
Exempted Vehicles
  • Model year 2005 or newer, except reconstructed, vehicles
  • Model year 2007 or newer original equipment alternative fuel vehicles
  • Model year 1966 and older vehicles
  • Vehicles designated as "collectible" (requires collectible vehicle insurance, reported to Arizona Motor Vehicle Division by insurer)
  • Electric powered, golf carts or vehicles with engine displacement of less than 90cc
  • Motorcycles registered in the Tucson metropolitan area
  • Apportioned vehicles (licensed in more than one state)
  • Vehicles leased to a person residing outside the emission control areas
  • Vehicles transferred between dealers (wholesale)
You might be ok with no tests unless you live in Metro Phoenix or Metro Tuscon.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
AZJEFFRO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
No Motorcycle Emission test in Tucson.
AZJEFFRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
Rick Lee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
Just got my first email notification of this. Thanks for your replies. I ride my GS everywhere, but don't want to take it offroad anymore. Assuming I can get a mostly dirt bike that's legal for the hwy., what's the minimum engine displacement I'd need to go 75-80mph on the hwy? I would only use highways to get to the trails, but some of those would be a hike from here.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
H2OKarensa
Free Range Chick

Oddometer: 48
Ok, I regularly ride my street legal WR250F in town in Tucson, AZ.
You have to have running tail lights and headlight. No turn signals are required if you're only riding during daylight hours.
You have to have a brake light. Should be an easy install on that. Also at least one mirror is required.
The DMV says you have to have a horn that is connected to a battery, but I've got a little pink bicycle horn and have never been dinged on it.
I have been stopped before on box canyon road and all they checked was that I had a plate and it was attached to my bike. That's it.
I'm not sure why you'd ever care to ride your dirtbike on the freeway, but I certainly can't do more than about 55mph on my WR.

As for plates and stickers, you have to carry insurance and for sure get the little OHV sticker that is new for 2009. You can order it on servicearizona.com. I think it is 20 bucks. It sticks on your license plate. If they catch you riding off road without it you'll get a fine. If you plan to ride on state trust land, get that pass too. You have to print out the application form online and mail it to phx. They send you the pass in a week or two. A family will cost you 75 bucks for the year.

That's all I can think of.
H2OKarensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
I'm just quoting what I was told at the MVD. Option two allows you to "connect trails" I'm sure you could get away "connecting" a trail from a highway but commuting I doubt it. Maybe there is a "special code" attached to your plate or maybe it's just smoke to generate more $$$. I choose to just pay a little extra and not have to worry about it.
when i got my "primarily offroad" tags (and i was the first in cochise county to do so i guess), there was no definition provided. it is the "declared intent" of the user that determines status... the prohibition of "motordriven cycles"(bicycles with motors) on controlled access highways has no aplication to DS bikes, which are motor vehicles by definition.

im not trying to bag on you, but looking for clarification if you have it. can you provide the statute that says you cant take PO bikes on a "highway"?

i think someone "safesided" you... meaning they dont really know, and they just told you how they interpreted it,(ie, they pulled it outta their arse) and figured you(and they) wont get in trouble since you cant get a ticket for not using a highway.

(and yes, when your plate is queried, the return does show whether is it PO, PH, or HO)
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #14
RodeHard
CSM Sheepleherder

Oddometer: 5,924
Most LEO's I have talked to are primarily interested in that you have a motorcycle operators license, insurance, current plate, and registration. Anything else wether it be a full on dirt bike or street bike is up to the individual officer and his mood at the time wether to cite you for any other infractions regarding not being "street legal".

If you ride unmaintained trails, you will need an OHV sticker if you are a full on dirt bike and the bike came from the factory made for the dirt. Of course if you ride your full on dirt bike on the street, then you will need to add the appropriate accessories to make it "street legal". If you own a street bike, you do not need an OHV sticker to ride off-road, and can ride anywhere you wish as long as your bike originally came from the factory as a street legal ready bike.

Now... here's the loophole... the way the current law is set up, you'd have to be pretty stupid to pay for a brand new KTM 990 super enduro and not license it as a primarily off-road bike with street legal status. You'll save yourself several hundreds of $$$ each year on the vehicle license tax by going that route. I asked some LEO's about this and they said there is no way for them to verify the percentage of on or off road usage, and stated that's a loophole for the state of Arizona to worry about.

Regarding emissions... if you live in Maricopa county and your bike or vehicle is more than 5 years old, you will have to go through emissions wether two stroke or four stroke.

Ironically my CR500 two stroke burns cleaner than my four stroke XR650... go figure.

Regarding State Land Trust permit. If you have an OHV sticker, you are allowed to cross state land but not allowed to camp or recreate. Same goes if you are street legal. If you camp or recreate (except for hunting) in any manner on STL, then you will need a permit.

Any questions... ask me as I work with the G&F, BLM, Maricopa County, and state land personnel at least once a month as an OHV ambassador.

RodeHard screwed with this post 04-03-2009 at 02:29 AM
RodeHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #15
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeHard
Most LEO's I have talked to are primarily interested in that you have a motorcycle operators license, insurance, current plate, and registration. Anything else wether it be a full on dirt bike or street bike is up to the individual officer and his mood at the time wether to cite you for any other infractions regarding not being "street legal".

If you ride unmaintained trails, you will need an OHV sticker if you are a full on dirt bike and the bike came from the factory made for the dirt. Of course if you ride your full on dirt bike on the street, then you will need to add the appropriate accessories to make it "street legal". If you own a street bike, you do not need an OHV sticker to ride off-road, and can ride anywhere you wish as long as your bike originally came from the factory as a street legal ready bike.

Now... here's the loophole... the way the current law is set up, you'd have to be pretty stupid to pay for a brand new KTM 990 super enduro and not license it as a primarily off-road bike with street legal status. You'll save yourself several hundreds of $$$ each year on the vehicle license tax by going that route. I asked some LEO's about this and they said there is no way for them to verify the percentage of on or off road usage, and stated that's a loophole for the state of Arizona to worry about.

Regarding emissions... if you live in Maricopa county and your bike or vehicle is more than 5 years old, you will have to go through emissions wether two stroke or four stroke.

Ironically my CR500 two stroke burns cleaner than my four stroke XR650... go figure.

Regarding State Land Trust permit. If you have an OHV sticker, you are allowed to cross state land but not allowed to camp or recreate. Same goes if you are street legal. If you camp or recreate (except for hunting) in any manner on STL, then you will need a permit.

Any questions... ask me as I work with the G&F, BLM, Maricopa County, and state land personnel at least once a month as an OHV ambassador.
Good post!
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote